Is a rebuilt 3.0 worth it for $35K?

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Ownership wise, some dealers will outright refuse to work on your car.
Lots of problems with recalls, alignments, parts, and such.
This is true. The VIN is also permanently flagged in Toyota's system as a salvage or rebuilt vehicle, nullifying most or all warranties. Notice the "W" with the 'no' symbol over it..
slvgvin.png
Sponsored

NocturnalEmber

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is true. The VIN is also permanently flagged in Toyota's system as a salvage or rebuilt vehicle, nullifying most or all warranties. Notice the "W" with the 'no' symbol over it..
slvgvin.png
Do you have the ability to put my vin in by any chance and see what comes up when you search it? I'm just curious, building a scrapbook of sorts of my cars journey, and I think that would be really cool to add to it.

NocturnalEmber

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Everything wrong with a GR86

Would never catch me in a GR86, Ive put off buying clean title M2s, M3s and M4s because I wanted the supra. I guess I gotta either wait or bite the bullet with the APR.
Tbh I actually think the GR86 is a great looking car for the price. Had there been a complete, quality turbo kit for one, I might have opted for one instead.

But back to my original point, do what makes you happy, but as others have said, you are going to run into issues with repairs, warranties, and if you ever sell it. I'd wait and get one at MSRP.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Tbh I actually think the GR86 is a great looking car for the price. Had there been a complete, quality turbo kit for one, I might have opted for one instead.

But back to my original point, do what makes you happy, but as others have said, you are going to run into issues with repairs, warranties, and if you ever sell it. I'd wait and get one at MSRP.
I still would have been ecstatic to buy a gr86 instead of the Supra. Those are nice looking cars for sure

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
I was putting $15K down and payment should’ve been around $600 but dealer added $4K in CPO and dealer fees so car price went up along with the 7% rate I would be paying $800+
fwiw, i live in miami, purchased my first supra in sarasota, and my second in cincinnati, ohio. there are good deals for these cars but you've got to hunt

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Salvaged cars are ideal as dedicated track cars, IMO, because the option to recoup value from a second buyer is mostly off the table, and not relying on it as daily driver, etc. Outside of that scenario, it's hard to recommend...I think the ownership experience could go sideways fast.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Buy new or wait to buy new.

Rebuilt sports car sounds disaster. Unless it's a corolla or a civic or something.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Re: GR86, A friend of mine had a Miata. Loved it. He's into slow, fun, "feel" cars. Then he sold it and bought a Cayman. Thought it to be overpriced for the performance so then got an 86 figuring it would be the "sweet spot" between fun and value. He's now in another Cayman. 😂
He says nothing about the 86 inspired him enough to keep the car. Maybe if coming from a lesser car would be worth it.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Re: GR86, A friend of mine had a Miata. Loved it. He's into slow, fun, "feel" cars. Then he sold it and bought a Cayman. Thought it to be overpriced for the performance so then got an 86 figuring it would be the "sweet spot" between fun and value. He's now in another Cayman. 😂
He says nothing about the 86 inspired him enough to keep the car. Maybe if coming from a lesser car would be worth it.
So I had the 2.0 MT FRS for 10 years. It was fun as hell as I pointed out a few times. Yet, off the line, well at any time, a turbocharged family sedan could easily overtake you 😁
But autocross, DD, snow, drift, power slide, etc. top notch. Easily lacked 50hp and then some.
Interior is a cheap Scion even after the face lift.. Not exhilarating...
Yet to drive the 2.4.
Isn't exactly on par with Cayman in any metric...

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
So I had the 2.0 MT FRS for 10 years. It was fun as hell as I pointed out a few times. Yet, off the line, well at any time, a turbocharged family sedan could easily overtake you 😁
But autocross, DD, snow, drift, power slide, etc. top notch. Easily lacked 50hp and then some.
Interior is a cheap Scion even after the face lift.. Not exhilarating...
Yet to drive the 2.4.
Isn't exactly on par with Cayman in any metric...
He's an autox guy and likes going on mountain drives. Would he pick the 86 over the Miata? That's the real question.

Lonestar_Nomad

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘23 GR Supra Premium MT
Just don’t do it. You don’t need that drama in your life man.

-an idiot who rebuilt a lot of totals over the years.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Will they go any lower than $35k?
If it wasn’t for the Covid market the early 2020’s bought in 2019 would already be around there. Before the hike in prices, people were buying Supras for right at/under 50k. the normal depreciation before all this stuff, I believe these would’ve been right at the 35k mark.
Sponsored