Not open for further replies.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
It could just be a GRMN 86 test mule with a more aggressive body kit. But it’s really exciting if this is an MR2 test mule.
I think it could just be an individual build for the upcoming Tokyo Auto Salon. :dunno:

89 and 95

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, V8 Solstice Coupe, 21 C8, 88 V8 Fiero
I restored one a few years ago and ended up selling to a guy in Wisconsin. It was a 95 that I had a Gen 4 engine installed and reworked just about everything. I missed it almost instantly...

Attachments

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
This is interesting :hmm:
Its 90% not a new GR86 since this one is based on 1st gen and those air ducts MAY suggest mid-engine layout.
I totally see enough space to put the engine behind the driver in the current 86.
Or its just some tuner 1-off for the TAS that is not happening.

qaa.png

Last edited:

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
This is interesting :hmm:
Its 90% not a new GR86 since this one is based on 1st gen and those air ducts MAY suggest mid-engine layout.
I totally see enough space to put the engine behind the driver in the current 86.
Or its just some tuner 1-off for the TAS that is not happening.

qaa.png
Looks photoshopped to me.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i think its just a one off for TAS, sorry to get everyone's hopes up lol.

Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 11.49.47 PM.png

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Next-gen Toyota MR2 imagined
April 24, 2021

https://www.motoring.com.au/next-gen-toyota-mr2-imagined-129585/photos/
toyota-mr2-rain-prisk-comgen.jpg

Resurrected affordable mid-engined sports car could develop into a high-performance EV

The chances of a born-again mid-engined Toyota MR2 sports car returning to showrooms any time soon are extremely low – but not impossible.
Toyota’s European vice-president Matt Harrison last year told Autocar a new MR2 was “not a priority” as the Japanese car-maker was knee-deep developing the new Toyota GR 86.
But given the GR 86’s development process is now all but complete, is the MR2 project back on track and could it emulate the solid production run (for a performance car) of the original between 1984 and 2007?
Our sources have also suggested an MR2 can’t be ruled out at this stage and this futuristic Toyota MR2 computer rendering created by Rain Prisk shows how the compact sports car could look if it was re-introduced for the modern era.

One of the possibilities for the reincarnated MR2 is that it could become Toyota’s first-ever all-electric sports car. With Toyota’s recent embracing of all things EV, such a development is not out of the question.
Related Articles

toyota-mr2-render-002.jpg
Toyota still on track for third sports car

mr2-i.jpg
Toyota MR2 set to return as pure-electric roadster

If Toyota does decide to deliver an electric ‘Mister2’ it would almost certainly be based on Toyota’s new scalable EV platform architecture (e-TNGA), which is set to underpin 15 global battery-electric vehicles by 2025, the first of which is the bZ4X.
While heavy EV batteries may go against the grain of the original MR2’s lightweight ethos, it’s not impossible to imagine a compact electric sports car offering enough performance and range without costing the earth or weighing two tonnes – particularly when Toyota’s solid-state battery tech improves.
toyota_mr2_supra-3.jpg

Image: Paul Ryan — MR2 SW20 with the new Supra
Of course nothing has been officially announced by Toyota around a reborn MR2, but the company’s performance car director, Tetsuya Tada, is on record as saying the Japanese auto giant will offer ‘three brothers’ in its modern sports car line-up, leaving room for one more hottie to join the GR 86 and GR Supra.
The Celica name has also been bandied about as the third pillar in Toyota’s sports car assault and Toyota has already dabbled with the idea of a Mazda MX-5 roadster rival in the form of the cheeky 2015 S-FR concept.
Another possibility for Toyota’s next sports car – especially if it’s an EV – is to leverage its new bZ naming convention first seen on the bZ4X electric SUV revealed this week. If that happens, the MR2 and Celica names would be ditched in favour of something like the Toytoa bZMr or bZ2.
toyota-mr2-1998-108.jpg

Toyota MR2 1998

As global demand for EVs continues to increase with more cities (and some countries) enacting laws to reduce and even ban combustion-powered vehicles in the near future, more and more mainstream car-makers are developing high-performance EV hero models and sports cars, including Kia and Hyundai.
Should Toyota resurrect the MR2 sports car, in spirit if not in name? Tell us what you think in the comments section below.
Image: Computer rendering by Rain Prisk

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
The MR2 was never an option because that was Lotus' thing with the Elise/Exige. But now that those are stopping production, we could see an MR2 return. It already had Toyota engines, and manuals so nothing for the cry babies to whine about :rofl:
I would be very interested in one.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Any chance of a new MR2 being priced near the C8? being they're both mid engined

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
It sounds to me like they’ll price it close to the MSRP of a base Porsche 911 or Cayman GT4. Last rumor was that the MR2 is supposed to sell for about $90,000 USD.

If Tetsuya Tada is still the chief engineer and does co-develop the MR2 on Porsche’s upcoming electric Cayman platform (he’s suggested he wants to work with Porsche on it) then it would seem that Toyota’s car isn’t meant to directly compete with the upcoming base Cayman or much of the 911 lineup above base models.

The Corvette C8’s MSRP probably isn’t their target benchmark for price if any of that holds true in a few months.

However it would be interesting and welcome to get an MR2 priced at *only* the C8’s level and not $100k.

I still find it disappointing that the traditional “budget affordable mid engine” Toyota sportscar formula won’t be a part of the new MR2.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Lotus is selling the tooling for the Elise/Exige. Would be amazing if Toyota bought it and used it as the base for the MR2.
The Elise/Exige platform would make for a perfect traditional MR2 especially since they’ve used Toyota 1ZZ-GE engines.

But... I don’t think it would meet modern crash standards for all markets today. It also won’t support any extra weight from electrification.

I think it is far more likely that the tooling will be bought and used by a small low volume classic sportscar manufacturer or kit car maker rather than Toyota.

Still, I agree with your sentiment. The Elise/Exige is a near perfect and timeless small mid engine car design.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.