OP
OP
supraboi

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
It didn't need to have the engine behind the driver to blow people away though. The GTR did the same in the previous decade with performance that rivaled exotics for a lot less money.

In some ways they should have listened to him but in others they shouldn't have.
I never said it did. A cheaper example is the C7. I think just for shear looks a mid engine has a more exotic look.
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I never said it did. A cheaper example is the C7. I think just for shear looks a mid engine has a more exotic look.
I didn't say you were. I am just saying that an engine in the rear doesn't mean it is enough to blow people away. Judging Tada by the way he talks about the Cayman, the car would have still been a Cayman competitor and not have lived up to the expectations of the same crowd that think it is a underperformer today.

Proportions are key, cars like the LFA and AMG GT look incredibly exotic in person while having the engine in front.

Edit: For clarity, I am saying that a mid engine alone isn't enough to garner the same attention as the Corvette. The c8 corvette's biggest performance accomplishment IMO is a transmission that compliments the powertrain along with an interior that isn't from a cobalt. The mid engined aspect was a way that shifted the corvette's image upward to that of a world class car (even though it was one already IMO) which brought in the interest of non-boomer enthusiasts. The Supra did this differently and moved itself down market by competing with Caymans and not 911s. This is why I don't think putting the engine behind the driver would have changed anything with Tada leading the project because he would have continued to target the Cayman.

OP
OP
supraboi

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
I didn't say you were. I am just saying that an engine in the rear doesn't mean it is enough to blow people away. Judging Tada by the way he talks about the Cayman, the car would have still been a Cayman competitor and not have lived up to the expectations of the same crowd that think it is a underperformer today.

Proportions are key, cars like the LFA and AMG GT look incredibly exotic in person while having the engine in front.
Ok cool.. I never said or disagree that a hypothetical A90 with the rear engine wouldn't have still been a Cayman fighter. Again, just for shear looks. Using the Cayman for example I think it looks better than the Supra.

Eh, LFA looks generic imo. I would say proportions and design are key.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Ok cool.. I never said or disagree that a hypothetical A90 with the rear engine wouldn't have still been a Cayman fighter. Again, just for shear looks. Using the Cayman for example I think it looks better than the Supra.

Eh, LFA looks generic imo. I would say proportions and design are key.
You didn't.

I am just making the claim the Tada San would have steered it in the direction. I am not arguing nor disagreeing with anything you said, just adding to the context of why the Corvette stole the Supra's thunder on release

I highly recommend seeing it in person. Just like the Supra you really don't see how low and wide it is until you see it in person. I think this image is a good reference of how much lower it looks than the LC. The hoodline alone is a solid 4-5 inches lower than anything else

sddefault.jpg

OP
OP
supraboi

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
You didn't.

I am just making the claim the Tada San would have steered it in the direction. I am not arguing nor disagreeing with anything you said, just adding to the context of why the Corvette stole the Supra's thunder on release

I highly recommend seeing it in person. Just like the Supra you really don't see how low and wide it is until you see it in person. I think this image is a good reference of how much lower it looks than the LC. The hoodline alone is a solid 4-5 inches lower than anything else
The C8 stole the Supra's thunder because the final product was a disappointment compared to the FT-1. I'm agreeing with you that it doesn't have to be a "mid-engine" to look good. But the overall design was compromised because they had to fit a FT-1 shell over a Z4 platform. IIRC you pretty much summed it up the same way in the design thread.

How do you know that I haven't? I actually saw a red one at my local Lexus dealer a few years back when taking my mom car shopping.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
The C8 stole the Supra's thunder because the final product was a disappointment compared to the FT-1. I'm agreeing with you that it doesn't have to be a "mid-engine" to look good. But the overall design was compromised because they had to fit a FT-1 shell over a Z4 platform. IIRC you pretty much summed it up the same way in the design thread.

How do you know that I haven't? I actually saw a red one at my local Lexus dealer a few years back when taking my mom car shopping.
The narrative could have been ā€œSupra vs Corvette: Which one will you buy?ā€ if the Supra was targeting the expected competition. Yeah the bar was set high and didnā€™t live up to the concept perceived performance, and Toyota should have expected that consider the car was teased as a super car. Itā€™s also quite ironic that the A90 was based off the FT-1 meaning the top/ultimate Future Toyota when thereā€™s going to be a car above it in the lineup lol

I have just never heard anyone say that about the LFA, we will have to agree to disagree no big deal.

OP
OP
supraboi

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
The narrative could have been ā€œSupra vs Corvette: Which one will you buy?ā€ if the Supra was targeting the expected competition. Yeah the bar was set high and didnā€™t live up to the concept perceived performance, and Toyota should have expected that consider the car was teased as a super car. Itā€™s also quite ironic that the A90 was based off the FT-1 meaning the top/ultimate Future Toyota when thereā€™s going to be a car above it in the lineup lol

I have just never heard anyone say that about the LFA, we will have to agree to disagree no big deal.
Yup, many people felt the same way. :(

Well you can add me and Mr. Leno to generic LFA list. :p

1:45 mark

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Yup, many people felt the same way. :(

Well you can add me and Mr. Leno to generic LFA list. :p

1:45 mark
Id definitely say the styling is generic, but the shape is exotic where as Iā€™d say a car like the LC is the inverse

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX

Same here, I even have pictures!

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I can see how a $100k++ supercar-MR2 can make a case for Toyota's cutting edge high end hybrid or bleeding edge EV technology... but that would create the same attainability problem as with new GTR's: the vehicle has shifted into a different kind of vehicle for a different kind of buyer than it was originally built for and marketed to.

If anything a $100k+ supercar Toyota would have logically been an alternate universe FT1-like MKV Supra. But that would have made the Supra as far-away attainable as the Nissan GTR.

An MR2 is a tough fit into the lineup at a give-or-take $30k or so. The GR Yaris and GR Corolla both overlap a bit (probably at $35k-ish I'm guessing?).

I think the small RWD car with a transverse engine layout makes for a perfect way to utilize existing Toyota FWD-transverse powertrains.... or even an electric transaxle powerplant since as a new Toyota design this will be either a hybrid or EV going forward.

I'm not sure why the MR2 of all things would ever need to become an extremely limited $100k+ supercar slotted ABOVE the Supra. Logically the Supra would always be above the MR2.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.