084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 4Runner / 99’ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
I got the Bluetooth kit also. You will need the JB4 app (27.99) also.

The obd connection is required to clear codes and change CANbus specific settings. No alarms when plugged into the obd2 port lol.
Glad to hear that...
257AFD4C-9923-4D03-AC6D-4BD4471F78C4.jpeg
C940307A-4DC3-4BB3-B0A0-6DDD98E8FF43.jpeg

Yup got the app, been playing around with the “demo car.”
Sponsored

Last edited:

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
The video sucked because our engine compartment is definitely different than the one shown in the video.

Anyways, finding the grommet and access to it was extremely difficult. Take off the driver's side access panel under the hood (turn the knob and it will release).

Look for the big round metal canister thing. Immediately next to it, you will see a plastic wall with a small notch/cutout on the left.

If you put your screwdriver in that cutout and push straight forward you will break through the plastic grommet on the firewall which leads into the passenger compartment.

I taped the jb4 obd2 cable to the piece of the screwdriver sticking into the cabin then pulled it back out into the engine compartment.

It sounds difficult, but, it was super easy once I found that notched plastic wall cutout and the grommet immediately behind it.'

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Thanks I was able to figured it out with your directions and connected the OBDII. Man why did I waited so long to do this. With stock downpipe and 94 octane running on Map 3 is murder on the street. The Supra is INSANELY FAST! It's so scary!

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks I was able to figured it out with your directions and connected the OBDII. Man why did I waited so long to do this. With stock downpipe and 94 octane running on Map 3 is murder on the street. The Supra is INSANELY FAST! It's so scary!
Congrats!!

So was I supposed to order the wireless connection and the wired connection?

It doesn’t even seem like you can order both on the site, it seems like you have a choice of one when you order...?

Or is that cable used to connect to your laptop and every JB4 comes with the OBDii cable?

larrymz3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
From what I understand the obd2 plug is required for anything beyond map 1. It connects from the JB4 unit directly to the ond2 port on the car.

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
Congrats!!

It doesn’t even seem like you can order both on the site, it seems like you have a choice of one when you order...?

Or is that cable used to connect to your laptop and every JB4 comes with the OBDii cable?
No you just need the wireless device but the JB4 comes with the OBDII connection. It says optional to connect but you will miss alot of the features if you don't use it. The JB4 will work with only the 2 connection to the engine sensors. However I do recommend connecting the OBDII as well. It was not hard. The harder part was to find the rubber grommet to punch the hole through. The other connection option is not required to purchase if you select the wireless connection device.

Hope this helps.

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
Glad you are now enjoying it. Map 3 is a beast for sure!

Mr. Kurtz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1981 Toyota Celica GT Sunchaser, 2020 Toyota Supra Premium
Exactly what do you lose if you don't connect the cable to the OBD port?

I believe Burger said they don't yet have options to use the B/C button to interact with the JB4.

I'm on the fence and ready to pull the trigger on a JB4, but I have no desire to run a cable into the cabin through the firewall, and want to make sure I wouldn't be losing out on any real functionality.

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
Exactly what do you lose if you don't connect the cable to the OBD port?

I believe Burger said they don't yet have options to use the B/C button to interact with the JB4.

I'm on the fence and ready to pull the trigger on a JB4, but I have no desire to run a cable into the cabin through the firewall, and want to make sure I wouldn't be losing out on any real functionality.
I was just been told by JB4 support rep that the OBSII connection is required for the tune to operate fully. It's not an optional connection. It's not hard to plug it once you find the rubber grommet that access to the engine department. I went from the inside and poke the whole out with a long screw driver. I then feed the wires out. When looking in the engine under the hood it was on the right side (when you are facing the the engine bay in the driver side) of the big round metal device. So I mounted the JB4 at the driver side in the engine underneath the plastic cover.

Mr. Kurtz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1981 Toyota Celica GT Sunchaser, 2020 Toyota Supra Premium
I was just been told by JB4 support rep that the OBSII connection is required for the tune to operate fully. It's not an optional connection. It's not hard to plug it once you find the rubber grommet that access to the engine department. I went from the inside and poke the whole out with a long screw driver. I then feed the wires out. When looking in the engine under the hood it was on the right side (when you are facing the the engine bay in the driver side) of the big round metal device. So I mounted the JB4 at the driver side in the engine underneath the plastic cover.
Great, thanks for the info!

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
I ordered mine with the wireless Bluetooth kit....I was hoping that resolved the obd II connection.

Directions say the cable is optional and used for CANbus controls, but honestly I don’t know exactly what that means...Also, I thought our cars trigger an alarm if anything is plugged into the OBDII when the car is locked? (That is what the manual says anyway)

I had the JB4 many years ago and remember the install was easy, but don’t remember the details...

Mine arrives on Saturday...I will post if nobody else has cleared this up. Good luck.
The Bluetooth connect kit has nothing to do with the OBD2. its for controlling the JB4 with a mobile device. The obd2 connection will activate the steering wheel controls and etc. And add some of the needed logging stuff thats fed via the CANBUS.

As for triggering an alarm. This is 100% true. However, in more detail it means if there is an "ACTIVE" connection to the ecu while the car is locked. As long as the connection is not ACTIVE/Connected. The alarm will not sound. JB4 disconnects with ignition off when wired correctly. So it shouldnt be an issue.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Congrats!!

wired vs wireless....

wired: usb cable to the JB4 from the laptop for tuning or settings changes

wireless: bluetooth kit to mobile device for tuning or settings changes

larrymz3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
HOLY CRAP! I just got back from getting my Titan downpipe and Fabspeed extender installed. With the JB4 on map 3 and the downpipe the car literally feels like a completely different vehicle.

The sound and acceleration are incredible! The JB4 w/stock downpipe was awesome, but, add the downpipe and it takes things to a whole new level!

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
HOLY CRAP! I just got back from getting my Titan downpipe and Fabspeed extender installed. With the JB4 on map 3 and the downpipe the car literally feels like a completely different vehicle.

The sound and acceleration are incredible! The JB4 w/stock downpipe was awesome, but, add the downpipe and it takes things to a whole new level!
Congrats.

OK, I am sold, ordering a down pipe tomorrow

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You won't regret it! Make sure you get the Fabspeed mini cat from Titan as well. I've heard that most folks who go cheap and use standard o2 spacers get codes.
Will do, so I assume no codes yet for you?
Sponsored