Just Curious - B58 vs 2J

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
How far piggybacks have come. 4 years ago my friend slapped a Race Chip on his CLA 250 and we all expected his motor to incinerate itself.
I wouldn't advise everyone to do that. I'm a risk-taker, especially with things I can just replace with money. In my mind, worst case the car blew up and I'd rebuild it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mk5_ricola

mk5_ricola

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulence Grey
I wouldn't advise everyone to do that. I'm a risk-taker, especially with things I can just replace with money. In my mind, worst case the car blew up and I'd rebuild it.
That's fair. I'm playing it safe and actively following the website link in your signature. Once we reach at-home flashing, its a full go for power.

Reactions: zrk

YOTA_IL

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
If it blows, it blows. Means it’ll be replaced the way I always wanted it, perfect :)

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The biggest visible part of your engine, aka THE MANIFOLD. 😂 and then the axles, ecu clone, built trans.. idk what else, those a major mods in my eyes lmao
Haven't opened up the motor yet, and still have a baby turbo on it. It'll be fast for next season.

YOTA_IL

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Your tune will be slightly more conservative than mine. haha. I had Jesse send it.
I don’t send anything.. no full sends here 😂😂

Reactions: zrk

Natedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche
Honestly I’ll say a huge part of it is the sound. The 2J has an incredibly unique sound.
2jz is great if you straight pipe and/or add a muffler. All b58s have cat, muffler or dual exhaust. Single exhaust ones sound a lot closer to a MKIV. I've yet to see a b58 with the kelford cams. That would make it sound really good with the single exhaust.

Well 2JZ proved itself to be bulletproof pushing 1000+ whp mostly with factory guts, easily took on Italian and German exotics. Saying is out there because it's legendary engine and people don't want a German engine besting it... It's a master art piece or a milestone. Kindda like Windows XP 😀
Any stock 2jz that made 1000whp wasn't driven hard or was on a larger old school turbo that made no tq. 750 is the tq limit on stock rods.

That being said Rods and piston on a 2jz or b58 (address the fuel system & trans) will be safe to 1k hp. But then 2jz will run into needing billet mains as it approaches those levels. who knows what the bottom end of the b58 is good to.

I actually didn't know they can reach that on mostly factory guts. B58 definitely cannot.
They are pretty equal. b58 weak link is the piston. due to lack of fuel/ not running e85. Pistons get to hot due to intake temps. If you had a better fuel system + intake charge cooling who knows what the limit would be.

2jz 750 tq the rods are bound to come out the side of the block it's just a matter of time.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2jz is great if you straight pipe and/or add a muffler. All b58s have cat, muffler or dual exhaust. Single exhaust ones sound a lot closer to a MKIV. I've yet to see a b58 with the kelford cams. That would make it sound really good with the single exhaust.

Any stock 2jz that made 1000whp wasn't driven hard or was on a larger old school turbo that made no tq. 750 is the tq limit on stock rods.

That being said Rods and piston on a 2jz or b58 (address the fuel system & trans) will be safe to 1k hp. But then 2jz will run into needing billet mains as it approaches those levels. who knows what the bottom end of the b58 is good to.

They are pretty equal. b58 weak link is the piston. due to lack of fuel/ not running e85. Pistons get to hot due to intake temps. If you had a better fuel system + intake charge cooling who knows what the limit would be.

2jz 750 tq the rods are bound to come out the side of the block it's just a matter of time.
I’ve seen several Supra/2nd gen B58s fail at high hp, and it’s always been the rod. I haven’t seen them all, obviously.

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
I am building a mk4 targeting 1000rwhp on a Xona Rotor single turbo right now. I budgeted it all out a few weeks ago and I’ll be spending right around $35k total to hit 1krwhp. That’s just engine, doesn’t include suspension/brakes/wheels/body etc. but does include a transmission swap from W58 to T56. That’s a pretty reasonable number and comes out to probably pretty close to typical, it would be $27-28k without the trans swap.

As an owner of both, I’ll say this: the 2JZ has a few advantages, but really it’s simplicity that stands out the most. I think the B58 is the future, but as of today working on the 2JZ is way more fun because everything is well documented and there are only a few quirks and variables to work through. As of now, the B58 has a lot more of those surprises, the least of which is actually figuring out standalone engine management.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I have been very lucky to have been around Supras all my life. Love them to death, and am happy that the MKV has grown to have a healthy community behind it, despite how different it is. The MKIV will always be the king, but I think we'll all find that the MKV Supra becomes a real mainstay of the JDM aftermarket over the next 10-20 years, just like the MKIV did.
Overall maybe, but this Supra making me forget about the old, haha.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Overall maybe, but this Supra making me forget about the old, haha.
I think you'll find a number of auction website thats have shown that nobody has forgotten about the MKIV 😅
Sponsored