Just Curious - B58 vs 2J

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I can't imagine spending that much. I was watching this one video and he said he was well over $100k in mods: youtube

$100k in mods and I can build you a 1,600 whp Prius haha.

Absolutely both are great motors, I love em both. I just never understood how so many say the B58 could never match the 2JZ when I see people pushing 650-700 wheel on pure turbos which don't cost more than a full exhaust system.
This gentleman, like most people who have built their Supras to that level, likely has built his car at least 3-4 times over.

He probably did a BPU build making 450, then when that wasn't enough, an APU build making 600hp. Then maybe he spun a bearing, or just wanted more, and built the motor to 1000. Then he blew the motor and built it again to 1600.

Now I know many people that have traveled this road and got dangerously close to 6 figures. But this isn't a 100k build, its a 100k journey with many builds.

I'm sure many of our friends looking to break records with their A90 will do the same.
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
mk5_ricola

mk5_ricola

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulence Grey
This gentleman, like most people who have built their Supras to that level, likely has built his car at least 3-4 times over.

He probably did a BPU build making 450, then when that wasn't enough, an APU build making 600hp. Then maybe he spun a bearing, or just wanted more, and built the motor to 1000. Then he blew the motor and built it again to 1600.

Now I know many people that have traveled this road and got dangerously close to 6 figures. But this isn't a 100k build, its a 100k journey with many builds.

I'm sure many of our friends looking to break records with their A90 will do the same.
You're definitely right. He has had that car longer than I have had a license. I believe he said 9 years in the video.

I do hope to see more ridiculous Mk5s, there aren't many.

Seems like every other Mk4 is making stupid power, but the Mk5 is also way more common at this point.

It gets damn close though. I mean, considering things.
Close but risky haha

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Yeah you're right, would definitely need to rebuild that transmission and some meth or E.
Full E to get to 650-670. Meth does basically nothing at that point except cooling. The intake manifolds are a much more reliable cooling source.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Guff you've had more MkIV's bless your driveway than a toyota dealership iirc from one of your videos. Lol

OP
OP
mk5_ricola

mk5_ricola

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Full E to get to 650-670. Meth does basically nothing at that point except cooling. The intake manifolds are a much more reliable cooling source.
That's something I forgot to get cleared up. I had heard meth in combustible and can be used as a replacement for fuel pump upgrades. Not enough at that scale?

Btw how come we see so many E50 builds and not E85? What's the limiting factor?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Guff you've had more MkIV's bless your driveway than a toyota dealership iirc from one of your videos. Lol
I have been very lucky to have been around Supras all my life. Love them to death, and am happy that the MKV has grown to have a healthy community behind it, despite how different it is. The MKIV will always be the king, but I think we'll all find that the MKV Supra becomes a real mainstay of the JDM aftermarket over the next 10-20 years, just like the MKIV did.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
That's something I forgot to get cleared up. I had heard meth in combustible and can be used as a replacement for fuel pump upgrades. Not enough at that scale?

Btw how come we see so many E50 builds and not E85? What's the limiting factor?
Meth can be used as an octane supplement, yes. Race-car race cars often run on pure methanol (e.g. M1) instead of gasoline. There are some dangers, though. (uneven distribution/atomization for example). I use meth in my build at the moment (link in signature). I was safely running E40 with Meth on a JB4 w/ Pure800 for a bit. The build's evolved a bit since then. Now, I can run full E with a fuel pump, port injection, 1050cc port injectors, reflex, blah blah.

OP
OP
mk5_ricola

mk5_ricola

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Meth can be used as an octane supplement, yes. Race-car race cars often run on pure methanol (e.g. M1) instead of gasoline. There are some dangers, though. (uneven distribution/atomization for example). I use meth in my build at the moment (link in signature). I was safely running E40 with Meth on a JB4 w/ Pure800 for a bit. The builds evolved a bit since then. Now with a fuel pump, port injection, 1050cc port injectors, reflex, blah blah, I can run full E.
Wait you're telling me Pure800, meth, E, and pump with a piggyback? No ECU flash?

Reactions: zrk