Just got my MkV, after 10yrs of driving EVs

Gabe

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra MkV/Tesla Model S/Tesla Model X
yeah. I know people hate on Teslas, I’ve owned 6 in 10yrs and I still think they are the perfect commuter.

but wanted to have a Sunday / Worthy track day car and after months of research I got a brand new Supra 3.0 base.

Im totally crazy when it comes to car mods, but this one will be a functional sports car. very excited to learn how to mod this car. It’s a fiery one stock. Can’t wait to break it in for a few months (actually my daughter will drive it for a while) then I will start to work on it.

here is a pic of my pumping gas for the first time on a car that is not a rental in 10 yrs!!!
IMG_0616.jpeg
Sponsored

OldHead-MKV-Owner

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22' Supra, 95' 300ZX SMZ, 22' F150 Limited
Welcome! Great place to learn about your new ride. I'll help you out here.
- Don't start an oil thread, search. In all cases search first
- if your going to mod, do it the right way from the beginning. You will always want more.
Most bang for your buck mods, in this order.
- some stick-on piece for wind buffeting reduction.
- Downpipe
- Femto unlock. Just do it, trust me.
- E50 custom tune.
- then everything else!

OP
OP

Gabe

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra MkV/Tesla Model S/Tesla Model X
Wow. Thanks. That’s very helpful. I’ve go so far as to research the wind buffeting issue and bought a middle of the road solution, it’s functional but in the future I also want it to look slick, but that will way be down the line. And I added a dash cam to the cigarette socket, but also got the hardware kit to play with that soon.

down pipe: there is a lot to read here about them, and I will start saying that I saw the stock one for the first time today, after spending 5 min with the fingers under the hood trying to open it.

RTFM, I figured out after. So much to learn. I have a few months of breaking in and learning what it can do stock. I don’t even know what FEMTO is. 😂😂😂

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Congrats man! you will love it, We have a group for South Florida Supra's on whatsapp, shoot me a message and I will get you added!

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Welcome!

Enjoy the car as is for a bit and revel in that glorious B58 sound!

Good to hear you plan on tracking it - that thread is one of the best parts of this forum (main reason I still drop by). Lots of knowledgeable, helpful, and talented folks active in there.

The Supra is very capable with minimal mods (sways + 200tw tires and you can harass people in Porsche GT3s and GT4s).
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/race-tracking-your-supra-information-exchange.16389/

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
Welcome! Great place to learn about your new ride. I'll help you out here.
- Don't start an oil thread, search. In all cases search first
- if your going to mod, do it the right way from the beginning. You will always want more.
Most bang for your buck mods, in this order.
- some stick-on piece for wind buffeting reduction.
- Downpipe
- Femto unlock. Just do it, trust me.
- E50 custom tune.
- then everything else!
Agreed. I made a thread explaining everything you need to hit certain power numbers. Here ya go this is it for mods. And yes Femto unlock just do it.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/gr-supra-101-routes-to-big-power.17670/

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Welcome to the supra world. I'm sure you will enjoy it coming from EVs.

This is a good community here. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Wow. Thanks. That’s very helpful. I’ve go so far as to research the wind buffeting issue and bought a middle of the road solution, it’s functional but in the future I also want it to look slick, but that will way be down the line. And I added a dash cam to the cigarette socket, but also got the hardware kit to play with that soon.

down pipe: there is a lot to read here about them, and I will start saying that I saw the stock one for the first time today, after spending 5 min with the fingers under the hood trying to open it.

RTFM, I figured out after. So much to learn. I have a few months of breaking in and learning what it can do stock. I don’t even know what FEMTO is. 😂😂😂
Congrats 🥳 Use that free track day before you go too far down the mod wabbit hole. She’s fun as hell at Homestead!

MKIV2A90

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, 340i, s2000 ap1
yeah. I know people hate on Teslas, I’ve owned 6 in 10yrs and I still think they are the perfect commuter.

but wanted to have a Sunday / Worthy track day car and after months of research I got a brand new Supra 3.0 base.

Im totally crazy when it comes to car mods, but this one will be a functional sports car. very excited to learn how to mod this car. It’s a fiery one stock. Can’t wait to break it in for a few months (actually my daughter will drive it for a while) then I will start to work on it.

here is a pic of my pumping gas for the first time on a car that is not a rental in 10 yrs!!!
IMG_0616.jpeg
Congrats! One of my other cars is a model 3. Love it too, however it can’t match the rawness of the Supra. Modding is addictive, especially boost!

IMG_2156.jpeg

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BMW M550i, 2020 Supra Premium, 2015 991.1
Congrats and welcome! It's such an amazing car. You'll love it more and more!

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Welcome to MKV ownership, and welcome back to the evil society of dinosaur-burning, tire-shredding, noise-making heathens. It's good to have you.
@_Sp1ral0ut beat me to the 2 week reminder
Same. I rapidly scrolled down like "don't be there yet, don't be there yet, don't be---damnit bollocks & ass!"

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
Welcome back to the melting ICE age.

Last edited:

Low flyer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR Supra, 45th Anniversary, Mikan Blast
Can’t wait to break it in for a few months (actually my daughter will drive it for a while) then I will start to work on it.
Congratulations. This is my unsolicited opinion on break in.

I believe that the worst thing that a person can do to a new engine, any engine, is break it in easy. This isn't breaking it in at all. The main thing that needs to happen when breaking in a new engine is that the rings have to seat, meaning that the rings have to wear to the shape of the cylinder. They cannot do that by an easy break in.

The only way that can happen properly is to load the engine, a lot. The rings need to be pushed out against the cylinder and this is accomplished by combustion and pressure, not the spring tension of the rings.

You don't have a large window of time to seat the rings. They are worn down, filed down so to speak by the crosshatch in the cylinder. That crosshatch is achieved by the finish honing operation when the cylinders are bored. Once that crosshatch has worn, you've lost your chance for proper ring to cylinder wall seating (contact).

For the first 400 miles, after about a 5 mile warm up, I never let the rpm get below 4,000 rpm, nor above 6,000 rpm. On the throttle while accelerating and engine breaking while decelerating keeps pressure behind the rings pushing them against the cylinder walls. This is easy to do by shifting in manual mode and rarely using the brakes. During this break in time I never run the engine at a constant rpm. I'm constantly on and off the throttle staying in that 4k to 6k rpm range. A few times I was at 6.5k.

And on one occasion I was at 152 mph for a 5 mile stretch and 143 mph twice for a mile or two.

I then changed the oil and filter at 400 miles. Letting it drain for a week while we had rain and snow, so I wasn't going to drive then anyway.

Read some of the old posts about Supras burning oil and the Supras that don't burn oil. The guys that follow the factory break in are burning oil, the guys that broke in on the track do not burn oil, typically. The guys on the track are constantly on and off the throttle keeping the engine loaded, and consequently loading the rings.
Sponsored