Status
Not open for further replies.

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
If you have a HUD there really is no reason for a steering wheel like that

at this point.....with all the specs, interior quality / supplies used i don't care anymore. The "toyota unique" car mentality is a no go.

Now I'm more like....well if you are going to share parts keep it up so the price can go down. I like the outside looks enough, Toyota engineering and reliability (yes I understand the block isn't theirs but they do have to sign off on the engine used in their car) and the numbers so far don't bother me....the deal breaker will be the price. If I have to start with a 340hp car that weighs 3100ish fine.....I can work with that....but you have to make me pay THAT price so I can put the rest of my money towards making it the 60k-70k car it should / can be. That project sounds fun to me ;)
Sponsored

86Driver

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
DAmn man I hate to keep being so down about things, but I have to keep calling it as I see it.

The interior is just a BMW to me, and that's a problem.

I SEE NOTHING "SUPRA" about this interior !!! I only see BMW.

DISSAPPOINTED.
Iā€™m willing to bet this isnā€™t final at all... and Toyota will do 2 things.
1) probably save cash on some interior items to try and keep costs lower, but also
2) Iā€™m willing to take a mad bet now that the final version will be fairly polished and changed enough from the Z4 that weā€™ll see it as a Supra. I hope. Cos now Iā€™ve said it on tā€™internet.

Iā€™m still hold thumbs for a great alround package. It wonā€™t have the fastest 0-100 times, and th most powerful engine, but Iā€™m betting itā€™ll handle fantastically well and be priced under the likes of the boxster and cayman (IMO the 2 real alternatives besides itā€™s obvious Z4 sibling).

Time will tell.

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
So lets get this straight:

1. BMW engine/power train.
2. Fake vents.
3. BMW interior.
4. No manual
5. 3000+lbs & 350HP motor.

Please call this a BMW, it's simply not a Supra - period and will never be. Disappointing to say the least.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
So lets get this straight:

1. BMW engine/power train. (There's more to it than just picking a motor from BMW and putting it in the car.)
2. Fake vents.(Let the aftermarket worry about that, plus whose to say GRMN model won't have functional vents.)
3. BMW interior. (Because you can see the other 95% we cant see?)
4. No manual (There has not been a solid no answer on this topic. Still possible)
5. 3000+lbs & 350HP motor.(Again I'm okay with letting the aftermarket change these numbers. If solely 1/4 mile / Trap, it would need roughly 455hp to equal say a GTR. But it has already been said, it's not going the same direction as the GTR.)

Please call this a BMW, it's simply not a Supra - period and will never be. Disappointing to say the least.
Replied in red

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
SPMS,

From what we can see you can clearly see where the interior is heading, it's BMW territory for the most part. I am referring to the dash and instrument panels.

Clearly there's more to just placing the engine in the vehicle, I understand that - the fact is that it's BMW powered, modified or unmodified it's still BMW.

I know points 4/5 aren't confirmed - they'll be the nail in the coffin once they are. I really had high hopes for this car, however the more that's revealed the more I cringe at how this car has skewed away from it's predecessor the MKIV Supra. I've owned countless over the years and I currently still own 3 of them. That's what I am disappointed about, the MKIV was over-engineered for it's age, it's a legacy to Toyota. Don't ruin it with some shit concept that will be a mild success & nothing more.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
SPMS,

From what we can see you can clearly see where the interior is heading, it's BMW territory for the most part. I am referring to the dash and instrument panels.

There are some elements of BMW of course. I still think it will have it's on look, compared the Z4 and be unique to the Supra. We are seeing small amounts right now to really say is solely just BMW interior.

Clearly there's more to just placing the engine in the vehicle, I understand that - the fact is that it's BMW powered, modified or unmodified it's still BMW.

Since you own and have owned multiple Supras. I'm assuming at least one is a 6 speed. Your trans is just a joint adventure with Getrag, it's not Toyota. Did you complain about that too? If the block is designed and over engineered, what does it matter? Which I'm willing to put money it is. Toyota isn't where they are for a lot of bad decisions. Most people wont be making a ton of power to begin with. The heads still have former Yamaha employees involved. Honestly, an all out Toyota, this car would be in the 75k+ range if not higher, due to manufacturing cost and trying to get a return, which most companies lose on sport cars.

I know points 4/5 aren't confirmed - they'll be the nail in the coffin once they are. I really had high hopes for this car, however the more that's revealed the more I cringe at how this car has skewed away from it's predecessor the MKIV Supra. I've owned countless over the years and I currently still own 3 of them. That's what I am disappointed about, the MKIV was over-engineered for it's age, it's a legacy to Toyota. Don't ruin it with some shit concept that will be a mild success & nothing more.

You're judging a car before it's even available. The A80 wasnt well received either when it first came out. It was so much different than the A70. I agree a manual would be awesome, so would a good power bump, which I think we'd see in the GRMN model. I think before making your end all judgment call, let the car hit the market, see what it's about, and then make your calculated decision. In my perspective, from the initial images to where we are now. I like what I see so far, and I hope that Toyota does deliver.

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
Absolutely, I'll definitely take one for a test drive once it's released, I don't want to fall into a mindset of being biased about vehicles that I've driven in my era of when Japanese cars were at their greatest point *(for me it was the 90's)*. So in all I am fairly open-minded, I just expected this car to be a somewhat higher end upgrade of the A80 - something with more power, manual, targa, cockpit design interior and overall strength and reliability all round (in all components), clearly it's not and ill base my final judgement on the final release.

In regards to the 6 speed, all 3 of mine are Getrag V160s, so yes - these aren't made by Toyota directly, however same could be said about every other feature on the vehicle (eg. bearings, pumps, etc). Most of it's produced by Denso or the likes. These aren't car manufacturers, these are companies which specialize in developing specific parts to onsell onto companies of the likes (BMW, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan etc.). So that point becomes null relative that. Toyota did a great job of making it all work and testing it - it's either that or they got lucky, I wouldn't call it luck based on the fact that several other cars that were released in that generation by Toyota were also extremely reliable.

Last edited:

SennaHamilton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AP2 and 987r (original owner) and Mk7 GTI (daily)
somewhat disappointed about the interior. i understand why they chose the BMW parts bin, but if i were Toyota I would've at least spent the money and developed an interior of their own with their buttons and switch gears.

the only reason i'm still interested is i can't wait to see how it drives. hopefully toyota has some quick press test launch for the car that's not close to the launch date with no press embargo.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I really like the exterior and the drivetrain, based both on public knowledge and the other stuff I'm bee privy to.

The interior however is the part I too feel they could have put more effort into personally. That ship has sailed though, so.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
are you privvy to any details of say, whether the handling and chassis balance is retained with double the power output? :p

rob13567

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 camaro 2ss
I really like the exterior and the drivetrain, based both on public knowledge and the other stuff I'm bee privy to.

The interior however is the part I too feel they could have put more effort into personally. That ship has sailed though, so.
So is it more lexus or BMW?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
It has its own styling unique to the A90, but there's nothing Lexus about it IMO.

Its BMW parts with Toyota design, just like the rest of the car.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
are you privvy to any details of say, whether the handling and chassis balance is retained with double the power output? :p
Chassis is definitely designed to be able to hold up to significantly more power.

You guys wondered why they're developing racing versions of the car before even releasing the street car, well this is part of that. It's top-down engineering vs bottom-up. The chassis is designed to be ready for the demands of competition first and foremost, then it's given it's street guise. This includes power :cool:.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.