OP
wombo

wombo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nocturnal GR Supra 3.0 Premium
For some more details:
The surface feels tacky when I spray cleaner and wipe it away. If I lightly scratch it with my finger nail, it appears to turn a lighter shade of red, but after a few moments it darkens again?

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Well I would bring it to the dealer and see what they say. I'm suspecting a cleaner you used might be a little too strong.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Iā€™ve never dyed my hair, obsessively clean so I honestly donā€™t know what it is.
Could be something off your hoodie then. Probably had a stain on it and rubbed off on headrest embedded it in.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
@wombo Did you buy this car new or used?

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Last question, are you the only person that drives this thing? Track it with a helmet on? No females or drag queens, ever?

It has the appearance of hair product penetration, but if it's never seen such things, it might just be a faulty piece of leather, shedding its finish where the pressure is applied. We've seen some things like that happen from time to time on dyed leather seat covers, and I remember a few steering wheels going to hell all on their own as well.

Take it to the dealer and plead your case.

OP
OP
wombo

wombo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Last question, are you the only person that drives this thing? Track it with a helmet on? No females or drag queens, ever?

It has the appearance of hair product penetration, but if it's never seen such things, it might just be a faulty piece of leather, shedding its finish where the pressure is applied. We've seen some things like that happen from time to time on dyed leather seat covers, and I remember a few steering wheels going to hell all on their own as well.

Take it to the dealer and plead your case.
Apart from a handful of times Iā€™ve let a friend test drive it, Iā€™m the only one whoā€™s driven it. First time tracking (with a helmet) is tomorrow actually haha. Iā€™ve never used hair product. Guess Iā€™ll make an appointment with the dealer and see what they say. The rest of the seat has light wear but itā€™s essentially nonexistent compared to the headrest so yeah something is off.

MesaBeer

First Name
Mesan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw routen 350
Speaking from my own experience, I've noticed some leather seat discoloration in my Toyota Supra too. It's a bummer, especially when you love your car so much. But fear not, you're not alone! Many of us have faced this issue.
I found that using a good leather conditioner has helped to prevent further discoloration and keep the seats looking fresh. If it doesn't help, switch to another leather provider, like Von Baer. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
wombo

wombo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Further update if anyone was still following:
Upon further examination they think that itā€™s actually the dye wearing off stupid fast and the color is the original leather color underneath thatā€™s showing, which is why cleaning products arenā€™t doing anything.

The replacement seat arrived decently quick (few weeks), but they waited almost half a year for a wiring harness part that I found available to ship instantly at a Toyota parts store online. When I mentioned this the part mysteriously showed up the next day? They also were trying to tell me they had to order custom tools from Toyota to be able to swap the seats out and they couldnā€™t borrow it from another dealer or Toyota HQ (which is literally next door to them). Made more fuss and somehow those tools showed up magically too. Dropped my car off and then found out that they ordered the wrong color seat somehow, so it was back to waiting. This time the new seat arrived after another week, so thankfully I didnā€™t have to wait a stupid long time again. Car goes in tomorrow so Iā€™m hoping this will be the end of it šŸ¤ž.

OP
OP
wombo

wombo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Final update:
My previous service advisor got fired (lmao), after taking my car in the second seat that arrived turned out to have a defective zipper, and my door handle cover magically disappeared. Previous service advisor tried to say it wasnā€™t their fault, the technician never touched the door (to which I asked ā€œthen how did he get in the car?ā€ ), but he said heā€™ll replace it. Fast forward a month with no update and I message my advisor only for him to tell me he no longer works there. I had to call the dealership to find out exactly what happened and they reassigned my case to another service advisor, who was fantastic in comparison. Great communication and got the job done quickly. Seatā€™s been replaced, and the door handle cover has been painted and installed. Seat looks a bit wrinkly, but the tech said thatā€™s normal and with some wear itā€™ll smoothen out. Whole process took over half a year, but I feel like most of it was the previous advisorā€™s fault (who also had the nerve to ask me to give him 10/10 before the job was even finished)

IMG_5601.jpeg

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
Final update:
My previous service advisor got fired (lmao), after taking my car in the second seat that arrived turned out to have a defective zipper, and my door handle cover magically disappeared. Previous service advisor tried to say it wasnā€™t their fault, the technician never touched the door (to which I asked ā€œthen how did he get in the car?ā€ ), but he said heā€™ll replace it. Fast forward a month with no update and I message my advisor only for him to tell me he no longer works there. I had to call the dealership to find out exactly what happened and they reassigned my case to another service advisor, who was fantastic in comparison. Great communication and got the job done quickly. Seatā€™s been replaced, and the door handle cover has been painted and installed. Seat looks a bit wrinkly, but the tech said thatā€™s normal and with some wear itā€™ll smoothen out. Whole process took over half a year, but I feel like most of it was the previous advisorā€™s fault (who also had the nerve to ask me to give him 10/10 before the job was even finished)

IMG_5601.jpeg
So is this the new seat you received? Or is it the one with the defective zipper?
Sponsored