zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
General mechanic - said they knew what they were doing. High regards in a nice Chicago neighborhood. Great reviews from friends and neighbors. I figured -- why not throw the local guys a few bucks and I don't have to pull the wheels off. Saves me an hour, drives local business. Mistake.
Sponsored

Ground Beef

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid
Sigh - yeah.

Shit Shop over-torqued ALL of the lug bolts, by a lot.

Got it fixed. Replaced all of the hubs. Cost them $3,800 out of pocket to fix at a better shop. The good shop had to drill out a bunch of the lug studs, replace the hubs and did a stud conversion. Shitty/bad shop wrote a check. Car was out of commission for two weeks.
So, this happened simply because the bolts were over torqued? I'm trying to think of the physics of how this can happen...sucks man. PM me the 'bad' shop, so I can avoid that one please.

Reactions: zrk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yup. Over torqued did all the damage.
I cannot imagine torqueing lug nuts enough to strip multiple out. Must have been an impact gun at maximum setting. I feel like the dang thing would pull me off of my feet and spin me around like a cartoon character before it did that kind of damage. They must have had a grizzly bear working on your car! Sheesh! Glad you got it sorted and the other (bad) shop did the right thing without much convincing.

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I cannot imagine torqueing lug nuts enough to strip multiple out. Must have been an impact gun at maximum setting. I feel like the dang thing would pull me off of my feet and spin me around like a cartoon character before it did that kind of damage. They must have had a grizzly bear working on your car! Sheesh! Glad you got it sorted and the other (bad) shop did the right thing without much convincing.
I took a couple of phone calls and a pretty grumpy visit by me to convince them they did $3,800 of damage, but they did eventually do the right thing. It certainly wasn't a cakewalk, but it wasn't pulling teeth either. I'm very happy it's behind me.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Here's a video of them trying to be gentle removing some of the bolts that were over-torqued but didn't stretch.

this video is cringe worthy. I was worried about your rear qtr panel getting hit with the long tq stick. I would of went the other way. It’s always easier to push down then go up for me.

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
Not sure how they got it so tight. Even an impact wrench can't get it that tight, I bet they used the wrench from the beginning to start the bolts and crossthreaded it immediately
Sponsored