More 2021 info, 3.0 gets higher redline (supposedly)

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Also what we be more telling / interesting is when Tuners begin to retune a stock 2021 and compare the results with a re-tuned stock 2020...
Sponsored

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
other then ecu software tweaks the biggest difference in my eyes is the swapped head. This really isn't a huge difference for people who are staying stock or even full bolt on/tuned. The biggest bonus will be for people who want to push limits and go bigger turbo. Would allow tuners to create their own manifolds to bolt up to whatever custom turbo they want.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
other then ecu software tweaks the biggest difference in my eyes is the swapped head. This really isn't a huge difference for people who are staying stock or even full bolt on/tuned. The biggest bonus will be for people who want to push limits and go bigger turbo. Would allow tuners to create their own manifolds to bolt up to whatever custom turbo they want.
exactly...

An issue that Tuners will be faced with once the 2021 is released is that Toyota now locks the ECU...They also do this now moving forward with any ECU updates the 2020 gets as well...

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
eh, I feel people need to get over it from a "warranty" stand point. Companies will be able to tune it, you will just have to send them your ecu and have them tap into it manually the first time. From a warranty stand point, Toyota will know either way whether or not the ecu is physically different. Most manufacterers now count flash counts so even if you flash back to stock they will know.

Now from a logistic and time standpoint? Yea....that's more annoying for sure to have to take out the ecu and ship it

OP
OP
Dannyvandelft

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
exactly...

An issue that Tuners will be faced with once the 2021 is released is that Toyota now locks the ECU...They also do this now moving forward with any ECU updates the 2020 gets as well...
I can't speak for others but for me that's fine. I'm not touching the ECU, intake, or downpipe. I'm throwing on a catback, a set of springs, wheel spacers or a complete new set of wheels, tint, and some TRD pieces.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
eh, I feel people need to get over it from a "warranty" stand point. Companies will be able to tune it, you will just have to send them your ecu and have them tap into it manually the first time. From a warranty stand point, Toyota will know either way whether or not the ecu is physically different. Most manufacterers now count flash counts so even if you flash back to stock they will know.

Now from a logistic and time standpoint? Yea....that's more annoying for sure to have to take out the ecu and ship it
Personally, warranties have never really been a concern of mine when tuning my cars...But having to pull the ECU and send off tuner is a hassle...

But yeah, tuners will find out a way to get in regardless, it's just a matter of time...Currently, 2020 that have has factory update flash done have to been sent out which sucks...

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I can't speak for others but for me that's fine. I'm not touching the ECU, intake, or downpipe. I'm throwing on a catback, a set of springs, wheel spacers or a complete new set of wheels, tint, and some TRD pieces.
If your throwing a cat back on, you might as well do the down-pipe and ecu to tune for it. lol. It’s like having sex with your wife for the first time and not doing any foreplay or oral. Doesn’t make a lot of sense. They go hand in hand. lol

OP
OP
Dannyvandelft

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If your throwing a cat back on, you might as well do the down-pipe and ecu to tune for it. lol. It’s like having sex with your wife for the first time and not doing any foreplay or oral. Doesn’t make a lot of sense. They go hand in hand. lol
No they don't. The tune is for the downpipe. A catback doesn't affect anything other than sound.

Supra60

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Prius Prime, Toyota Rav4
Having sex with my wife I should have foreplay or oral? Who knew??

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
No they don't. The tune is for the downpipe. A catback doesn't affect anything other than sound.
So, your going to tell me that your going to spend $2-3k on a cat back for a louder sound? Lol

OP
OP
Dannyvandelft

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So, your going to tell me that your going to spend $2-3k on a cat back for a louder sound? Lol
Everyone that buys a catback, does exactly that.
Better sound, nicer tips, and maybe a little less weight. That's all you're ever going to get out of a catback.

The performance increase comes from the downpipe. Has nothing to do with the catback.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
exactly...

not that big of an issue really. Nothing we haven't seen or surpassed with prior BMWs. sure maybe a little more inconvenient but nothing crazy

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
not that big of an issue really. Nothing we haven't seen or surpassed with prior BMWs. sure maybe a little more inconvenient but nothing crazy
That's good to hear...but for many bench flashing is not desirable...

So when do you think the newer ECU updated Supras will be able to be flashed insitu without having to be bench flash ECUs???

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
That's good to hear...but for many bench flashing is not desirable...

So when do you think the newer ECU updated Supras will be able to be flashed insitu without having to be bench flash ECUs???
that i do not know. hard putting ETAs on computer coding. 10 minutes to remove an ecu and 3-5days max without it. to me is not that big of a deal to get it unlocked. BUt i understand thats just me, haha.