Seeking more info on JB4 Map 6 tuning

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Obviously, I run my map 6 in town, but…. if someone just wanted to run on map 4, couldn’t they do just that for in town driving?

1) I purchased a custom tune because I’m at the cross my fingers level electronics understanding with even changing the time. 2) My OCD kicked in with aftermarket goodies thinking cold air intake and exhaust make a difference - because they did in my old cars.

So if just tooling around town, why not just pick map 4 and be done with it? I’m guessing to get even more power than what map 4 can provide?

Thanks for letting me interrupt y’alls really interesting thread :offtopic:
Sponsored

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Obviously, I run my map 6 in town, but…. if someone just wanted to run on map 4, couldn’t they do just that for in town driving?

1) I purchased a custom tune because I’m at the cross my fingers level electronics understanding with even changing the time. 2) My OCD kicked in with aftermarket goodies thinking cold air intake and exhaust make a difference - because they did in my old cars.

So if just tooling around town, why not just pick map 4 and be done with it? I’m guessing to get even more power than what map 4 can provide?

Thanks for letting me interrupt y’alls really interesting thread :offtopic:
yeah, map 6 boost targets for 93 octane would be very similar to Map 4 boost targets. And Map 6 boost targets for E30 would be similar to Map 5.

Most people should just pick Map 4 and be done, but if they have a downpipe, it requires wastegate tuning (independent of whatever map you use). The wastegate stuff is probably what Jesse spends most his time dialing in while custom tuning.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yeah, map 6 boost targets for 93 octane would be very similar to Map 4 boost targets. And Map 6 boost targets for E30 would be similar to Map 5.

Most people should just pick Map 4 and be done, but if they have a downpipe, it requires wastegate tuning (independent of whatever map you use). The wastegate stuff is probably what Jesse spends most his time dialing in while custom tuning.
Ahhhhhhhh…. I do have that. Thanks dude for explaining. And probably why my car doesn’t like it on track? Hence I just shut it off. That is nice about the JB4. It’s so easy to do so.

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ahhhhhhhh…. I do have that. Thanks dude for explaining. And probably why my car doesn’t like it on track? Hence I just shut it off. That is nice about the JB4. It’s so easy to do so.
Yeah, you probably could get yourself another map 6 that is milder for the track for cooler seasons if you wanted. You can save as many map 6 as you want in the app.

if your car didn't like map 4, you can post that log here

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Will try and log once get a but of time. What did you see that made you realize that I need adjustments?
  • ECU_PSI is a bit low causing trims to be higher in some spots
    • also causes car to run more timing, which doesn't mesh well with the added boost
  • Boost a bit under target - raising FF fixes this
    • You can see that WGDC is usually higher than FF (excluding shifting)
  • Timing isn't great, but lets see if getting to target helps first.
There's nothing bad about your log. This is just getting it dialed in and hopefully a bit more power.

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
Just a quick question, I probably should have investigated this one my own, is the JB4 map 4/5 actually a totally "flat" boost target, or does it have a ramp to account for boost threshold?

One thing Adam and I have discussed on a bit in private is that the gear-to-gear difference in boost thresholds may be throwing off the absolute maps quite a bit as the ECU exits spool mode. Not just in trims, but severe deltas may cause the DME to freak out. 500 rpm of left-shift or right-shift can mean your request is 5psi too high or too low.

Adam and I have been playing with this by using map 6 in additive mode (first row below 6psi or 10psi, can't remember the specifics). This eliminates the possibility of having a huge delta during spool mode exit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just a quick question, I probably should have investigated this one my own, is the JB4 map 4/5 actually a totally "flat" boost target, or does it have a ramp to account for boost threshold?
yes it does ramp to peak by 4.5k and tapers after 6k on both map 4 and 5. I don't think its because of boost threshold. It appears to be fuel/trims limited <4k .

yup, the car hates being above or below boost target at the end of spool from what I've seen

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, you probably could get yourself another map 6 that is milder for the track for cooler seasons if you wanted. You can save as many map 6 as you want in the app.

if your car didn't like map 4, you can post that log here
Yeah the fault is my own, not Jesse’s. It’s on my bucket/todo list.

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hi all,

Little update - just wanted to share some dyno results from a client on the JB4tech forum with my custom Map 5 tune and associated data log. This is an M340i running around e20-e30/93 and catless dp.

Pretty pleased with results, although red log was extremely heat soaked - last run of the day. You can see this in the last log in the datazap link - car ran a very conservative timing map due to IATs and engine temp(waterf). Ambient temps are near 100F, because its in Thailand 😬

There is more power on the table up top, but for the sake of keeping heat-soak at bay, I plan to keep it as is. More E would be required too, as it appears to be octane limited.

https://datazap.me/u/coloneladama/log-1701354449?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-8-15-20

450-460whp across all non-heatsoaked runs.

1701359075544.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)