Most revealing 2020 Supra prototype spy pics yet, Spotted 3/19/18!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd hardtop & 93 Miata
Has anyone already been reading this news about the engine:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2018/04/18/toyota-supra-confirmed-to-get-bmw-engine-by-rd-vice-president/

It’s not that breaking news in my eyes, but maybe it could give all the discussions about the engine an end.
I held out hope for a long time (knowing I’d likely be disappointed). This will probably be my last post since I’ve lost interest in their product at this point. Unfortunately Toyota has lost a brand loyal buyer and longtime supporter in me and from those I know, I’m not the only one in this line of thinking. For me, the engine is a car’s heartbeat and I don’t want it to be from BMW.... if I did, I’d buy a BMW. I don’t even understand who Toyota is as a brand at this point... to take one of their most iconic sports cars and have a German brand with nothing in common with the Supra lineage power it.... just makes no sense. That’s ok though because I also don’t understand the car “scene” anymore with all these slammed cars and wheels so cambered they look broken. I guess I’m just stuck in the 90s and that’s where I’m going to stay. Hope whoever Toyota is marketing this car to ends up with what they want.
Sponsored

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone already been reading this news about the engine:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2018/04/18/toyota-supra-confirmed-to-get-bmw-engine-by-rd-vice-president/

It’s not that breaking news in my eyes, but maybe it could give all the discussions about the engine an end.
Nothing new...I think we all pretty much knew that a BMW-derived engine would be used. We all have somewhat come to accept this...and at this point, the most important things (at least to me) will be; reliability, tunability, and quality. If the Supra will have all three, then I will embrace the vision of a Toyota-BMW venture. Otherwise....G....T....R.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I held out hope for a long time (knowing I’d likely be disappointed). This will probably be my last post since I’ve lost interest in their product at this point. Unfortunately Toyota has lost a brand loyal buyer and longtime supporter in me and from those I know, I’m not the only one in this line of thinking. For me, the engine is a car’s heartbeat and I don’t want it to be from BMW.... if I did, I’d buy a BMW. I don’t even understand who Toyota is as a brand at this point... to take one of their most iconic sports cars and have a German brand with nothing in common with the Supra lineage power it.... just makes no sense. That’s ok though because I also don’t understand the car “scene” anymore with all these slammed cars and wheels so cambered they look broken. I guess I’m just stuck in the 90s and that’s where I’m going to stay. Hope whoever Toyota is marketing this car to ends up with what they want.
Couldn't have said it any better. The automotive industry has changed so dramatically, it's somewhat frightening which car maker one should spend their money towards nowadays. American cars for the longest time were considered the $hit of the bunch, now though, they are making some of the most exciting iconic cars in history. You got Shelby's, SRT's, Wranglers, Bronco's, etc... all coming out and with some impressive features. All imports are lacking from almost every foreign brand. I don't know if this is some kind of political game by governments to force-up domestic car sales or what....but, I agree, Toyota DID NOT do their homework or didn't really care about their target audience when they set out to build the next Supra. I honestly would not have cared who Toyota would have collaborated with, if they had just left the Supra name out. The FT-1 would appeal to me wayyyy more if it was called something other than a Supra, because to me a Supra is the pinnacle of Toyota performance engineering....not BMW's. It would have been great if the joint-ventured car was called "GT-1" or something, because then if it ever failed to achieve it's goal....it wouldn't shamefully destroy the Supra name.

Anyhow, I am more of a Nissan enthusiast than I am a Toyota enthusiast....everyone who knows me knows this. I love all Japanese performance cars, but in the end I have a sweet spot for Nissans (no matter how ugly, or dated, or whatever they are) because Nissan has always cared about the performance enthusiasts....no matter what the economic climate is like. Like I've said, Toyota deserves at least a chance to unveil this car and show the world it's capabilities. I (for one) will at least give them that chance.

Last edited:

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
Nothing new...I think we all pretty much knew that a BMW-derived engine would be used. We all have somewhat come to accept this...and at this point, the most important things (at least to me) will be; reliability, tunability, and quality. If the Supra will have all three, then I will embrace the vision of a Toyota-BMW venture. Otherwise....G....T....R.
Yes, that’s what I meant, it’s not really breaking news. I knew it since a long time and for me personally it’s a great deal for Toyota, cause this inline-six is an extremely good one.

But as you can see reading turboflgrl’s post a few of those hardcore-Toyota-fanboys still hoped for a wonder.

Don’t worry about the BMW engine. You won’t get some shit, you will get a masterpiece of German engineering. BMW means “BayerischeMotorenWerke” - “BavarianEnginePlant”. This is what they do since a long long time, longer than Toyota does.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, you are asking for too much. You’ll get TSS from Toyota. The rest will be a bimmer. If you want reliability, tunability and quality just go buy yourself a GTR now. Aftermarket for that car is very mature and you can even go deep into the 9s trapping high 140s with the stock bottom end. This new bimmer from Toyota Is a .. hey we make a new Supra badge again sorta thing.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ don't forget the exterior body kit will be Toyota as well, maybe the interior but even that is not looking too promising.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ don't forget the exterior body kit will be Toyota as well, maybe the interior but even that is not looking too promising.
Yeah.. all the engineering from Toyota was design the body panels. Lol. Maybe .. hey can you give me a bit of a different suspension so I can claim to have something different. Interior looks like a slightly altered bmw interior. Pathetic.

When Toyota says they worked on the 86 project.. I’m like where? What did you do? Everything seems to be Subaru with some pathetic Camry climate control switches. I’m sure the same will be true of the next sports car from bmw that Toyota will slap its name on. In this case.. instead of the climate control that bmw refused to change.. Toyota will have it’s amazing TSS.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah.. all the engineering from Toyota was design the body panels. Lol. Maybe .. hey can you give me a bit of a different suspension so I can claim to have something different. Interior looks like a slightly altered bmw interior. Pathetic.

When Toyota says they worked on the 86 project.. I’m like where? What did you do? Everything seems to be Subaru with some pathetic Camry climate control switches. I’m sure the same will be true of the next sports car from bmw that Toyota will slap its name on. In this case.. instead of the climate control that bmw refused to change.. Toyota will have it’s amazing TSS.
I could have sworn A70 said somewhere that the BMW was being lapped by Toyota's version of the project. Their suspension and drivetrain is completely different than the Z4.

It'd be stupid to have a re-badged Z44 and call it a Supra because that would mean a death of Toyota's sports lineage.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I could have sworn A70 said somewhere that the BMW was being lapped by Toyota's version of the project. Their suspension and drivetrain is completely different than the Z4.

It'd be stupid to have a re-badged Z44 and call it a Supra because that would mean a death of Toyota's sports lineage.
I’d hope they have something unique about it.. but in the name of cost cutting and some arcticles did mention they share suspension components.. I’d almost bet against these two cars being much different from each other besides the sheet metal. Besides.. Toyota would never admit at this early stage of discovery of the revamp of the Supra badge that they were cheap and just used BMW hardware.. it’ll be a big blow to the ego.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’d hope they have something unique about it.. but in the name of cost cutting and some arcticles did mention they share suspension components.. I’d almost bet against these two cars being much different from each other besides the sheet metal. Besides.. Toyota would never admit at this early stage of discovery of the revamp of the Supra badge that they were cheap and just used BMW hardware.. it’ll be a big blow to the ego.
Nah.

If the insiders were true, the two cars have far different driving mechanics and tuning than the other, despite having the same components.

Also,as someone has said, there's a shitload of people at Toyota that have control over this.

from the financial team, to the PR team, to the safet yteam, to abiding by what the president, the project creator and manager has to meet so many goals without failing any of them, so you can imagine the comrpromise needed to be done to get there.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Try, the entire chassis, heads, trans, diff, interior/exterior styling, as well as nearly all of the suspension design. Subaru stamping their name on that car is a product of them manufacturing it, not that they designed it.

I know we're beating a dead horse here, but ten seconds at Spa... :cool:

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Try, the entire chassis, heads, trans, diff, interior/exterior styling, as well as nearly all of the suspension design. Subaru stamping their name on that car is a product of them manufacturing it, not that they designed it.

I know we're beating a dead horse here, but ten seconds at Spa... :cool:
I see.. hence no AWD and Turbo? Fun aspects of a Subaru since Toyota designed it all.. makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.