zillest

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Good morning everyone,

Recently I visited my buddies family in Bradenton, FL (close to Tampa). I had a really great time, the weather was really beautiful. I am 19 and currently live in Maryland with my parents (rent free, thankfully). I am considering in the next couple years after I get my Bachelor's to move down to Florida. That way I can save up money to buy a house. I currently have a job in MD making $100,000 a year. The only problem is finding a job down there that makes close to what I make now. Can anyone from florida tell me if this is a stupid idea. I know im still young but I am going to wait a couple years at least.
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Don't know much about living in FL except that it's retirement and Spring Break state, but what industry are you in? Will you be able to find something you're good at there? if 19 and doing 100K, I'll assume you're doing something software related? F me I never made that after mechanical eng BS and MS back then and you don't even have your BS? wtf.. Anyhow, if that's the case, you can do it anywhere..
April-May are obviously sweeter times for FL as it's not the humidity and mosquito season yet. You may find it humid June-Aug.. Per Google Tampa is 54% RH if you believe that.
So many unknowns that only you can decide.. Will you chase tails, roller-skating up n down the coast forgetting your duties, constantly baked and on the verge of become homeless? 😂
Have you travelled to anywhere else like to California or Arizona, etc.? I'm asking as I don't know if you're settling to the first ocean view sunshine state you saw :)
Only you can know your priorities. Any family/friends/etc. you have in the area. Do you care for that? Ever been couple hours away from your family/comfort zone?
Do some number crunching. What's the tax in MD vs FL. Add rent/mortgage, utilities, expenses, etc. what's that come down to. What can you afford. How comfortable do you want to be with money..
Can Kevin wait?
On the other hand, you're young, better take risks now early in life and explore/test your comfort zone or something. What do I know..

Also, Reddit is a great good place to ask such questions on corresponding sub-reddits.

OP
OP
zillest

zillest

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Don't know much about living in FL except that it's retirement and Spring Break state, but what industry are you in? Will you be able to find something you're good at there? if 19 and doing 100K, I'll assume you're doing something software related? F me I never made that after mechanical eng BS and MS back then and you don't even have your BS? wtf.. Anyhow, if that's the case, you can do it anywhere..
April-May are obviously sweeter times for FL as it's not the humidity and mosquito season yet. You may find it humid June-Aug.. Per Google Tampa is 54% RH if you believe that.
So many unknowns that only you can decide.. Will you chase tails, roller-skating up n down the coast forgetting your duties, constantly baked and on the verge of become homeless? 😂
Have you travelled to anywhere else like to California or Arizona, etc.? I'm asking as I don't know if you're settling to the first ocean view sunshine state you saw :)
Only you can know your priorities. Any family/friends/etc. you have in the area. Do you care for that? Ever been couple hours away from your family/comfort zone?
Do some number crunching. What's the tax in MD vs FL. Add rent/mortgage, utilities, expenses, etc. what's that come down to. What can you afford. How comfortable do you want to be with money..
Can Kevin wait?
On the other hand, you're young, better take risks now early in life and explore/test your comfort zone or something. What do I know..

Also, Reddit is a great good place to ask such questions on corresponding sub-reddits.
Thank you for the reply! I definitely will be looking at COLA compared to MD and what I would be able to afford. Honestly just want to get away from the salty, snowy mess. I am in the Cyber Security industry so remote work is definitely achievable. I have been to Florida many times and I always enjoy the weather compared to MD. I have not been to California or the west coast really at all. I definitely want to take a trip over there to see how it is. I have been away from family before on various deployments so that is no issue. if I was to move down there i would probably have my buddy move in and split rent/mortgage. I was going to go to reddit but i figured hey there must be some knowledgeable folks here!

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Stay with your parents and sock away money and pay off debt.

The economy is about to contract pretty hard - so any place your rent/buy now will be too expensive.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
Thank you for the reply! I definitely will be looking at COLA compared to MD and what I would be able to afford. Honestly just want to get away from the salty, snowy mess. I am in the Cyber Security industry so remote work is definitely achievable. I have been to Florida many times and I always enjoy the weather compared to MD. I have not been to California or the west coast really at all. I definitely want to take a trip over there to see how it is. I have been away from family before on various deployments so that is no issue. if I was to move down there i would probably have my buddy move in and split rent/mortgage. I was going to go to reddit but i figured hey there must be some knowledgeable folks here!
I live and work in the Orlando and work in Cyber Sec as well. COLA is lower here compared to MD so salaries are lower as well. If you want to DM me some more info about what you do and what youre looking for I can tell you what you can reasonably expect.

OP
OP
zillest

zillest

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stay with your parents and sock away money and pay off debt.

The economy is about to contract pretty hard - so any place your rent/buy now will be too expensive.
Yeah I know and the housing market is terrible for buyers/renters. Thats why I want to wait until I get my degree, save money until then. Thanks for the reply!

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I'm in the area you're looking. It's expensive and the job market sucks. I'm remote so praying to God that work situation doesn't change because there isn't much for work here. But the water is amazing If you're into that and lots of stuff to see and explore all within 3hrs.

Here's my advice: Life comes at you really fast between 19 and 29. It's good you're trying to plan ahead, but I wouldn't get too caught up trying to figure out the specifics. You might meet a girl (I'm making some assumptions about you here) and end up moving wherever she lives/wants to go. I say just create a few tentative paths for where you might like to be and when the time comes you'll make a choice based on the circumstances.

Good luck to you wherever you end up. Speed safe!

P.s. Texas and Tennessee also have no state income.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I'm in the area you're looking. It's expensive and the job market sucks. I'm remote so praying to God that work situation doesn't change because there isn't much for work here. But the water is amazing If you're into that and lots of stuff to see and explore all within 3hrs.

Here's my advice: Life comes at you really fast between 19 and 29. It's good you're trying to plan ahead, but I wouldn't get too caught up trying to figure out the specifics. You might meet a girl (I'm making some assumptions about you here) and end up moving wherever she lives/wants to go. I say just create a few tentative paths for where you might like to be and when the time comes you'll make a choice based on the circumstances.

I fell in love with Tennesse- such a great place. Memphis, smokey mountains, food, people..etc

OP
OP
zillest

zillest

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Thank you for the reply. That's why I'm trying to get a decent idea now and see what I want to do!

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I fell in love with Tennesse- such a great place. Memphis, smokey mountains, food, people..etc
Yea TN is great. I was in Nashville and loved it, but the ocean kept calling me.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
FL or TN - less taxes, car regulations, Covid restrictions, government in general telling you what to do or not to do. Meanwhile, California had it's 1st population decline in history (talking extremes here). May not make a difference to you but I know my kids really appreciate those kind of extra perks here in FL during these crazy times ;)

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
You seem to be a young guy that's pretty smart. One bit of advice I'd love to give a young man 10+ years my junior: focus on your career until you're at least 25. That's not to say don't have fun, but the next 10 years of your life can really accelerate the following 20 if you plan it right.

With that being said, I'll echo what some others have said. You're in a great position with your income and low expenses. Save up cash! The economy will take a hit next year (the writing is on the wall). Save up and make some moves when others are hurting in the next few years.

OP
OP
zillest

zillest

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@zillest How did/is this working out for you?
I am still working at my current place of work. Living with my parents saving as much as possible. Looking at getting either a remote job or a job with AWS where there are many locations I can travel to. Biggest thing for me is living my life now, when I get older I dont want to regret not living my life and waiting until its too late. But as of right now just working fulltime and im in college working on my Bachelor's in Cybersecurity!

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I am still working at my current place of work. Living with my parents saving as much as possible. Looking at getting either a remote job or a job with AWS where there are many locations I can travel to. Biggest thing for me is living my life now, when I get older I dont want to regret not living my life and waiting until its too late. But as of right now just working fulltime and im in college working on my Bachelor's in Cybersecurity!
Sounds like you're doing all the right things, IMO. I was in your shoes at that age. I got involved in IT doing cyber security work during the middle of the dot com bubble in the mid 90's. I was making good money and living at home at the time (17yo-ish). I'd say the only (boring) advice I have is if you can put money into a tax-deferred retirement account (like a 401K), put at least something in there and certainly the max of any matching dollars the company provides. That 18-25yo range for retirement savings is just bonkers when you look at how that money grows when reaching retirement age. I did it, and I'm glad I did, even though it gave me less cash on hand to "live my life" with - it paid dividends. Literally and figuratively - bah dum!
Sponsored