Need some advice and a push

cnomi45

First Name
Nomi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pilot
Recently stopped by a dealer to check the supra out with the misses. I really love the supra, but I was surprised how tiny it was. Do you guys who own feel safe in it? also, the windshield seemed small, matter in fact, all the windows were small. can you see the traffic light overhead? Do you get claustrophobic inside? intimidated by larger SUVs on the road etc? Yes, this would be my first sports car, if you can't tell already. I have been cross shopping with other bit more practical vehicles like a 2017 C63s, 2017 GSF or RCF, and oddly enough a 2018 E400 convertible. Can't find any m240i's near me btw as that was my other choice. They all have backseats, but they don't get my heart racing like the supra. Do I listen to my heart or my brain? Yes I have kids and yes I have a 3 row SUV, but..I don't know. thoughts?
Sponsored

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
You already know what you need to do.

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Actually it is quite wide. Feels as wide as my G37
You do sit low so it feels quite spacious
No problem with seeing the traffic lights up front or the cars behind
In sport mode the car is a beast, makes delectable sounds and so smooth. Really tight suspension but not jarring, absorbs all the bumbs
I drove a Model 3 Performance extensively and much prefer the suspension and handling on the Supra

OP
OP

cnomi45

First Name
Nomi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pilot
To be honest I just wrote all the concerns my wife had and listed it out LOL. To itengineer thanks for answering the concerns. And you hit the heart of the matter, I really want a car that pops, bangs, and burbles, its why had the C63 on my list.

Midlifecrisis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium - White
Had the same thoughts on my first drive. The visibility in the car sucks when backing up/ changing lanes but the drivers assist makes this much better IMO. I have some issues with seeing stop lights if Iā€™m the first car but Iā€™m also 6ā€™5ā€ which doesnā€™t help - but itā€™s very comfortable otherwise.

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
The Supra has poor visibility when backing up and poor visibility when changing lanes. Neither should be much of an issue because of the backup camera, and, if you have the driver assistance package, the rear cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring. (All the Supras here in Canada have the driver assistance stuff standard.) Coming from a Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mercedes SLK, and Acura MDX, I feel in no way unsafe in the Supra. That said, the MDX is a tank, and the tank has got to be safer than the others.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/salvage-supra-registry.2829/ shows the Supra is a pretty dangerous car as far as your chance of being involved in a collision, which is not surprising given the power. In contrast, it seems to be a very safe car in terms of not getting yourself killed; despite the numerous collisions, I haven't heard of a single fatality.

pav911

First Name
Pav
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Range Rover, Mini JCW
If you like the interior quality of the Mercedes and Lexus models you've listed i'd recommend spending a bit of time in the Supra to make sure it's to a standard that you'd expect for the money. The Supra is absolutely amazing to drive, but to me it doesn't feel like that special a car. Maybe Ā£55k doesn't buy you special and i just had to learn the hard way.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Recently stopped by a dealer to check the supra out with the misses. I really love the supra, but I was surprised how tiny it was. Do you guys who own feel safe in it? also, the windshield seemed small, matter in fact, all the windows were small. can you see the traffic light overhead? Do you get claustrophobic inside? intimidated by larger SUVs on the road etc? Yes, this would be my first sports car, if you can't tell already. I have been cross shopping with other bit more practical vehicles like a 2017 C63s, 2017 GSF or RCF, and oddly enough a 2018 E400 convertible. Can't find any m240i's near me btw as that was my other choice. They all have backseats, but they don't get my heart racing like the supra. Do I listen to my heart or my brain? Yes I have kids and yes I have a 3 row SUV, but..I don't know. thoughts?
Based on your criteria, only you can make the right decision.

Given that you have kids and a SUV, consider it,if you are the type to do a weekend blast and want to experience the pure joy of driving a RWD sports coupe.

Yes, the Supra is a relatively easy car to drive from A to B but what makes it special for me is the chassis and rotation around corners and the beast daring you to push it more to find its limits which is how I like it.

Not everyone wants this dynamic/raw feel and most if not the majority prefer a more practical user friendly type of car for driving purposes.

But and a big but.... put this car into its element on a winding weekend mountain drive and boy does it shine.

TBH, I never really bought this car for luxury or interior perks like Mercedes/Audi and given that BMW gave the equipment to Toyota it really is a nice extra bonus.

Yes, you could do worse and perhaps better if you have plenty of $$ to burn but IMHO for the value ratio to driving feedback/raw experience, there really is nothing comparable or even remotely close to the supra especially at this price..

Best of luck with your decision and safe driving.
:drive:

Midlifecrisis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium - White
If you like the interior quality of the Mercedes and Lexus models you've listed i'd recommend spending a bit of time in the Supra to make sure it's to a standard that you'd expect for the money. The Supra is absolutely amazing to drive, but to me it doesn't feel like that special a car. Maybe Ā£55k doesn't buy you special and i just had to learn the hard way.
Wow, couldnā€™t disagree more. I think the BMW controls are great, wireless CarPlay is fantastic, decent seats, etc.. But, I see you also posted that you were considering ā€œrejectingā€ the car based on the sound system. To me, if I wanted a ton of luxury and a perfect sound system, you donā€™t buy a sports car.

Takonic

First Name
Kelv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
the car is fantastic, the only thing to say, is dont skip out on the driver assistance. Its very practical, and if you feel like you dont need it, you can always disable it later

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
Test drive a Miata and then test drive the Supra, you will realize its not as small as it looks. I have one and it's almost as long as my 4 series, I don't feel its too small.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
As others have said it is possible to pull up too far and make the stoplight visibility an issue. This might seem redundant to report but Iā€™m much shorter than the other person who said this (5ā€™7ā€ vs 6ā€™5ā€).

wolf_kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 GR Supra, 1996 NA Miata, 2014 Camry SE
Test drive a Miata and then test drive the Supra, you will realize its not as small as it looks. I have one and it's almost as long as my 4 series, I don't feel its too small.
Having to own a 96 NA miata and the 20 Supra. I can vouch on this!

the supra is pretty much a miata with SOOOOO much more room (AND POWER) without feeling crammed. so much more head room and leg room.

Though some things i noticed with owning my supra for about 3 months now is that.
theres a lot of blind spots. especially when looking Rear Right on the passenger side. no way of seeing (unless using the camera) when reversing. Also those small window on the door, useless.. wont even see them inside the car. but with all the "safety features" of the supra i think it should be fine. but thats just my opinion.. Do what makes YOU happy! :) :headbang::thumbsup:
Sponsored