New Remnant Turbo Kit. Worked Fine for a Week, Now Acting as if I Have a Massive Boost Leak

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
Downpipe does not utilize gasket as it has a V band clamp to turbo. I did undo it and redo it while inspecting turbo and that did not help.
#3 in the diagram is the stock gasket, alot of aftermarket downpipes use this gasket.
I don't think this is the issue, shouldn't be a dramatic difference.
Screenshot 2024-02-27 160709.png

Example:

Untitled.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jazee

Jazee

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2007 STI, 1991 Miata, 2012 5.0
I admit that I'm skeptical of the seal on the cold side because in the "not working" log, the car was asking for over 30 pounds of boost, but the pre-throttle pressure sensor was only reporting 16-20 pounds. A boost leak from improper installation of the cold side is the most likely answer, here.

That said, I think loosening the clamp on the center of the turbo and ensuring the hot/cold sides are snugly together is a good bet. That v-band at the center of the turbo should be 8ft-lbs/96in-lbs. Easy to do on the car.

There's actually a gasket in the downpipe, it's the flaky graphite ring that's recessed into the clamping area. Just wanted to make sure it was still there.
I will check that center V band. Unless the wastegate flap is physically broken inside the turbo, which I would consider unlikely, something like this has to be the problem.

I canā€™t say for 100% that the downpipe gasket is there but it should be. I never removed it, but itā€™s possible it couldā€™ve fallen out. But that shouldnā€™t impact the turboā€™s ability so significantly.

Alec-RemnantPerformance

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR 3.0 | 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8T
Good job finding the issue @Jazee. Although it was different than I expected, the only thing that made sense was the wastegate.

That said, Iā€™m sorry you experienced this issue! Not sure how this happened as I have 8,500 miles on my turbo and pushing 42psi daily while Keith of Extreme Boost Care has 22,000 miles on his pushing 38psi.

At any rate, I will be calling you later this morning to find out how youā€™d like to proceed with quickly resolving this issue!

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Nice job finding the issue and also kinda hilarious. šŸ˜…

OP
OP
Jazee

Jazee

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2007 STI, 1991 Miata, 2012 5.0
Did the downpipe catch the missing piece? Or is it further down in the muffler of the exhaust? Sheesh!!!
Piece was nowhere to be found. Knocked the exhaust around and didnā€™t hear any rattling. But no cats or restrictions in exhaust so it probably shot out.

3literV8Eater

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Piece was nowhere to be found. Knocked the exhaust around and didnā€™t hear any rattling. But no cats or restrictions in exhaust so it probably shot out.
That is odd that the flapper just came off like that. Something to be watchful of on future turbos for quality checks and assurance.

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
something to check: a lot of people clock the downpipe clamp wrong, so the wastegate arm hits it and it messes with boost control and calibration. make sure the bolt on the clamp is not in the way of the linkage. it should be underneath the downpipe if at all possible, so basically sitting horizontal.

_Sp1ral0ut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tahoe, Razor E100
something to check: a lot of people clock the downpipe clamp wrong, so the wastegate arm hits it and it messes with boost control and calibration. make sure the bolt on the clamp is not in the way of the linkage. it should be underneath the downpipe if at all possible, so basically sitting horizontal.
You should add some beatbox text to your signature here on the forums. I always watch until the very end of your videos just to hear it. lol. No cap.

bschk bmmm ti bschk bsck pmm pk ti pk pmmm bmmm bsck bck ti ti bmmm

I wouldn't have thought about the dp clamp. Solid advice.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Yup, I've always clocked mine at six o'clock with the nut facing the frame rail.

mike08282002

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
B58 4 Door
Similar thing happened to my Daw turbo 2 years ago, wastegate arm seized. After a few messages and video to owner Shawn he sent me another exhaust housing and I just swapped over. Shit happens itā€™s just how itā€™s handled. Could have sent the turbo back but that meant more down time, Iā€™d rather do it myself as I had an event coming up I didnā€™t want to miss.
Sponsored