New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

SS09ER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS13
But if Toyota ever decides to put the s58 for the GRMN model then nobody will hate the Supra for the slower versions, and they will buy the slower ones because of the design and because they won't be able to afford the fast one!Something like the old supra did (n/a vs TT).

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
yeah, I think the GR version will be the one that's revered like the MKIV TT, but just like the mkiv (when new) no one will be able to afford it lol.

people tend to forget that the mkiv reached $50k in the 90's; that's ~$80k in today's money.

SS09ER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS13
Yes A70TTR maybe it will be expensive but if it has 485hp and 3000lbs then well spent the money!

Also about my theory of the s58, some supra come with the same wheels that bmw tests the new m3 models and in a spy video about the supra it was spotted that the car was fitted with 255 tires front and 275 rears which if i am not mistaken is the same as the 2017 M3!!

see at 7:14m

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Yes A70TTR maybe it will be expensive but if it has 485hp and 3000lbs then well spent the money!

Also about my theory of the s58, some supra come with the same wheels that bmw tests the new m3 models and in a spy video about the supra it was spotted that the car was fitted with 255 tires front and 275 rears which if i am not mistaken is the same as the 2017 M3!!
for comparison the outgoing Z4 sDrive35is also has 335hp and is only fitted with 225 front and 255 rear.

soundman414

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
335HP is only 15 more than what the current 340i makes in BMW's lineup, so it might not be so crazy to assume that this car might be using the new BMW B58 engine. Currently to my knowledge, there is only one car in BMW's lineup that still uses the old N55, and that is the current M2, but that derivative makes 365HP and will be phased out when the refresh happens in a year or two. It would be odd for BMW and Toyota to use a very old engine at this point, when a new one is already in production and currently in high volume.

It would be difficult to believe that Toyota/BMW would launch with the highest power version of the car (Think all sports car manufacturers). They would likely launch with a few variations on the car with a couple of power levels, with high volume engines and power levels that reflect the price point. When they do launch a more powerful version, after they judge the success of the initial models, then it might contain the more power S58 engine, which would come after it launches in the new M3/M4.

I think it will have a similar model progression to the Camaro, where they launch a V6 and V8 version, then a ZL1, then a 1LE... Each getting crazier and more expensive and subsequently more power or aero.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
For you guys that know the bimmer engines here, can you talk about torque? Curious to know when it maxs and for whole long in the rpm range? (my isf v8 is from the older design and max is much higher/later in the rev range)

K_Phamo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MZ3
For you guys that know the bimmer engines here, can you talk about torque? Curious to know when it maxs and for whole long in the rpm range? (my isf v8 is from the older design and max is much higher/later in the rev range)
attachment-jpg.jpg

For the B58 Engine which seems to be the mid trim engine, it looks like torque peaks at 339 around 3200rpms, and stays fairly linear throughout the rpm range. Also looks like there's good low end torque with the turbo kicking in at around 2300rpms. No clue about S55/S58 engines, which might make there way into the top trim supra.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
If anyone is familiar with the new Audi RS3, it has an amazing little engine, 5 cylinder 2.5 litre that makes 400hp. Max torque is available very early at 1700rpm up through 5500 which, even with the weight of quattro, makes it very fast...

Last edited:

tisdrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 335i, Kouki s14
Vehicle Showcase
As @K_Phamo showed, the torque peaks in the upper 2000's but holds throughout the mid-range. You get a smooth, fat torque curve from 2-5k rpm and not at all like the older style of Evo's/STI's where nothing happened until 4.5k rpm. You get that power "NOW!" without having to rev out. Over the last decade, the n54, n55, s55, and b58 have all had small turbo(s) and so don't have turbo lag nor do they breathe well up top. BMW designs for that silky-smooth power reputation they earned with their N/A motors. This small turbo size has the downside that torque and horsepower falls off quickly near redline (look at the dyno graph at 5200 and at redline). When stock or lightly modded, a lot of people in the n5x platforms were shifting as early as 5800 to keep torque up. I'm not saying this is fastest, but it felt faster to some. On the 2jz platform, people typically dump the stock MK4 turbos because the turbos became the restriction north of 400whp and same with n5x.

These tiny twins also heat up the shared oil; therefore, the whole engine bay is susceptible to heatsoak. If we see water-to-air heat exchangers/intercoolers like Mercedes is doing, that could be a game changer on that topic. The nose in the FT-1 isn't conducive to the typical JDM massive intercooler so I'd be curious if we see dual water-to-air or get a changed nose

Gecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 4Runner Limited 4x4, '05 LS 430
It seems that there are even more variations of BMW's 3.0L I6 floating around. Today they unveiled the new X4, and the "40i" model has 355hp and 365lb-ft of torque, and I just realized the new X3 has this same engine also.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1115305_bumper-crop-2019-bmw-x4-luxury-crossover-revealed

Even if just for BMW's sake, I'm sure they will be using their latest and greatest powerplant in the Z4, so that should come to the Supra also.

I'm actually going to bet we end up getting this tune - 355hp and 365lb-ft. We'll see.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
I'll throw my hat in the ring and guess(hope) it will be about 380HP
Sponsored