New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

anthracite

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 Supra
500whp in that chassis will be very fun, but........someone will always compare it to what the 2JZGTE could handle. My only issue is if it is only an auto, you may need to find someone that can beef up the transmission.

Steve

tisdrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 335i, Kouki s14
Vehicle Showcase
500whp in that chassis will be very fun, but........someone will always compare it to what the 2JZGTE could handle. My only issue is if it is only an auto, you may need to find someone that can beef up the transmission.

Steve
The ZF transmissions in e9x and f30/f80 chassises don't have much of an issue with 700tq. I don't think trans is a limiting factor.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete

Steve
hard to not compare them.. my buddy in FL ran 941whp through his 2J for 3 years with only fuel, cams, and standalone lol. I dunno if he even had headstuds...

it ended up crankwalking from him having a 3200lb TRD pressure plate, but other than that was still going.

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
edit: I hope it doesn't sound like this

Last edited:

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
I called it before. I think it will be the 380 HP B58 motor
With the M2 dropping the N55 for the S55 for 2019... Shouldn't the Supra get the M2 engine (S55 detuned from M4) over the B58 M240i engine?

I vote for S55 - tuned roughly the same as the new M2 around 400hp.

#3jz

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
With the M2 dropping the N55 for the S55 for 2019... Shouldn't the Supra get the M2 engine (S55 detuned from M4) over the B58 M240i engine?

I vote for S55 - tuned roughly the same as the new M2 around 400hp.

#3jz
Interesting position, the first thing that comes to mind is the B58 is a sweet spot for the tuners and would make for an awesome mid level trim. While Toyota may hold out for something even more potent in their trim topping Supra model?

I don't know but I'm thinking if they had the Z4 with this motor in a non M trim, this would disrupt there other lineups product positioning. Meaning why buy a 340 or 440 when the Z4 base or close to it has a more powerful motor. IDK just trying to reason.

Would be an awesome deal for the Supra, but I can't see BMW allowing this as it would piss there people off.

tisdrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 335i, Kouki s14
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting position, the first thing that comes to mind is the B58 is a sweet spot for the tuners and would make for an awesome mid level trim. While Toyota may hold out for something even more potent in their trim topping Supra model?

I don't know but I'm thinking if they had the Z4 with this motor in a non M trim, this would disrupt there other lineups product positioning. Meaning why buy a 340 or 440 when the Z4 base or close to it has a more powerful motor. IDK just trying to reason.

Would be an awesome deal for the Supra, but I can't see BMW allowing this as it would piss there people off.
It would also make the Toyota priced to match their ///M cars. 2900lbs + top-of-the-line motor would mean it's more of a performance vehicle than the M cars. It'd probably make traction a serious problem.
Sponsored