New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I did not say I wanted a v6. I said I wanted to see actual quotes instead of baseless claims.
I still believe the v6 is on the table, although unlikely and probably not as good as the s55/b58, I have a hard time believing Toyota spent a great deal of r&d on their TT v6 but had to bring another company to make another turbo 6 cylinder engine. Especially when the Supra is supposed have a lower center of gravity than the 86 while also having 50:50 weight distribution with a long motor tilted 30 degrees to one side. That is literally having your cake and eating it too.
The GTR made the transition just fine.
You see, that would b3 cool but again Tada had said a Supra needed it to be an inline six.

A v6 can fit, but this was an exercise in saving cost yet trying to change how the brand is seen to the public.
Sponsored

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
My argument is that a v6 is still on the table, not that they will use a v6. I don't care which is used (Im a former 335i owner) but I think it is ridiculous how journalists jump to all these conclusions for click-bait and people buy into it. A magazine at my local grocery store says Trump is having an affair with Hilary, should I assume it is true as well?
lol but how is Tetsuya saying it is vital that the Supra gets an 6 inline "click bait"?

The way I look at it, just like with the GT86, Toyota does not want to take part in any part of the production process because that would mean they need to directly hire more people and on top of that they have to create the additional infrastructure...for a conservative company like Toyota it is too risky for them. They are allowing other companies to take care of everything while they approve of the specs and stamp their name on it..

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
S55 is old tech... i think S derivative of B58 engine is more likely.

FWIW, insiders here said the first I6 in the first A90 mule was the S55.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
lol but how is Tetsuya saying it is vital that the Supra gets an 6 inline "click bait"?

The way I look at it, just like with the GT86, Toyota does not want to take part in any part of the production process because that would mean they need to directly hire more people and on top of that they have to create the additional infrastructure...for a conservative company like Toyota it is too risky for them. They are allowing other companies to take care of everything while they approve of the specs and stamp their name on it..
lol because that is not a confirmation.

They did have a role in that production. They added their D4-S direct injection along with providing the gearbox and rear end from the 1st gen Altezza. Subaru was also 25% owned by Toyota at the time, so they put in a motor that was 25% theirs at the time before the D4-S addition.
How do we know that BMW didnt act as consultants during the V35a development? The V35a has bmw written all over it. In return BMW gets hybrid battery technology, its a win/win for both teams. Of course it is far fetched, but it holds both your statement and my statement as true

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none

They did have a role in that production. They added their D4-S direct injection along with providing the gearbox and rear end from the 1st gen Altezza. Subaru was also 25% owned by Toyota at the time, so they put in a motor that was 25% theirs at the time before the D4-S addition.
How do we know that BMW didnt act as consultants during the V35a development? The V35a has bmw written all over it. In return BMW gets hybrid battery technology, its a win/win for both teams. Of course it is far fetched, but it holds both your statement and my statement as true
Hasn't hybrid tech always been the main point of this partnership?

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold

You are dense. It's going to be a BMW i6 sorry to break it to you. If don't you think the endless articles, interviews, and quotes like this:

"The platform is the same [as the upcoming BMW Z4]. The same applies to the powertrain. The styling is of course completely different and also the adjustment of the chassis will be very different. The powertrain is not a hybrid, but a petrol engine,ā€ Gerald Killmann, a vice-president of R&D at Toyota Europe

are anything less than confirmation, I don't know what else to tell you.

Last edited:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
You are dense. It's going to be a BMW i6 sorry to break it to you. If don't you think the endless articles, interviews, and quotes like this:

"The platform is the same [as the upcoming BMW Z4]. The same applies to the powertrain. The styling is of course completely different and also the adjustment of the chassis will be very different. The powertrain is not a hybrid, but a petrol engine,ā€ Gerald Killmann, a vice-president of R&D at Toyota Europe

are anything less than confirmation, I don't know what else to tell you.
Im very dense, nice to meet you.
Like I said before, I wouldnt mind a BMW powertrain as I am a former 335i owner. The N54 was great and I am sure the B58/S55 would be loads better.
I just believe there is a multitude of misdirection in these articles, some purposeful and some not. Another example, I have a hard time believing it will have a BMW motor AND will only be auto since BMW doesn't change bellhousing patterns often and has many transmissions that will bolt up off the shelf. I can believe that it can have a Lexus motor and only be auto, or BMW motor with both auto and manual but not BMW and only auto.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Im very dense, nice to meet you.
Like I said before, I wouldnt mind a BMW powertrain as I am a former 335i owner. The N54 was great and I am sure the B58/S55 would be loads better.
I just believe there is a multitude of misdirection in these articles, some purposeful and some not. Another example, I have a hard time believing it will have a BMW motor AND will only be auto since BMW doesn't change bellhousing patterns often and has many transmissions that will bolt up off the shelf. I can believe that it can have a Lexus motor and only be auto, or BMW motor with both auto and manual but not BMW and only auto.
Nice to hear from a BMW owner

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Galaxy 500
BMWs have long had a reputation for being unreliable. In addition, I know someone who bought a brand new 2014 BMW, and at 39,000 miles something expensive blew and it cost $3,000 to replace. The manager's response was 'Hey, it's a BMW'. For a certain rich and stupid segment of the population expensive repairs add to the mystique. A huge part of the appeal of the Supra was it's bullet-proof engine. And Toyota is able to sell huge numbers of incredibly boring vehicles based on reliability.

Anyway, this is from an article about the latest BMW recall:

"According to BMW, an auxiliary water pump could fail on affected vehicles, causing a circuit board to overheat and catch fire. Dealerships will replace the pump free of charge, but replacement parts are not available yet. Until the new part is installed, BMW recommends owners park their vehicles outside to avoid a potential house fire."

REALLY??? Park your car outside to avoid burning down your house, we'll let you know when we have the parts to fix it???

greaseman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rx7 FC
who knows how reliable it'll be till we get it. the 86/brz is supposedly one of the most reliable toyotas and that engine is mostly subaru.

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
I've had a 'brand new' 86 for 6 months, it spent 4 months at Toyota fixing an issue with the engine. I'll hardly call it reliable. I sold it in my 6th month of ownership.
Sponsored