New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

Hoss57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2000 Z28 A4 cammed & stalled full bolt-ons. 1999 Formula M6 stock
This is kind of a deal maker or deal breaker for me. I've turned sour on GM because their D.I. fix isn't working. As good as the LT1 is, I keep cars for a decade or more. I won't tolerate this carbon fouling from a contemporary model. Not for the money I'm going to spend. If the top end of this motor isn't Toyota or Yamaha, I am looking elsewhere. I'm praying hard for it to be true.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Toyota Supra confirmed to get BMW engine by R&D Vice President

By now, it’s pretty common knowledge among car enthusiasts that BMW and Toyota have been working together on a sports car chassis. That common chassis will underpin two new sports cars, the BMW Z4 and the Toyota Supra. There’s been a lot of speculation as to how much both cars will share. We know that they will share the same basic chassis but that tuning will be vastly different, so the Supra and Z4 will drive differently. We also know that they will share technology, as spy photos have been released of the Supra’s interior showing of iDrive tech from BMW. Now, though, there’s confirmation that the two cars will also share an engine.

While that seems a bit obvious, there were a few rumors that Toyota would be using its own twin-turbocharged V6 engine, rather than a BMW inline-six. However, it turns out that the Supra will be Bavarian-powered after all.

According to Toyota’s Vice President of Research & Development, Gerald Killman, who recently spoke with AutoRAI, “The platform is the same. The same applies to the powertrain.” It’s rumored that the Supra will share BMW’s B58 3.0 liter turbocharged inline-six, which is good news, as that’s one of the best six-cylinder engines on the planet. Also, the Supra has a rich tradition of using high-revving straight-six engines, so this engine fits the Supra well, despite being made by BMW.

Killman also said that the two will drive quite differently, despite sharing so much. “The styling is of course completely different and also the adjustment of the chassis will be very different.” he said So don’t expect a Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ-type situation, where both cars are basically identical, save for badges and interiors.

Killman also says that the Toyota Supra will be an expensive car, something more performance-oriented than anything else Toyota makes. “It will not be a cheap car. There will be a clear difference between the GT86 and Supra. The GT86 remains the affordable sports car, the Supra becomes the performance model.”

We don’t know if the Supra will be more or less expensive than the BMW Z4 but it’s certainly going to be a premium model, rather than a budget offering. So don’t expect it to be a poor-man’s Z4. It’s going to be a proper sports car and we can’t wait to drive it.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2018/04/18/toyota-supra-confirmed-to-get-bmw-engine-by-rd-vice-president/

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
More terrible rhetoric from journalists, that only confirms they have the same motor not that they are using a BMW motor. The LS500 TT v6 is still on the table if you ask me
My dude, Tada-San has said multiple times that they're using an inline six. V6 ain't happening.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
My dude, Tada-San has said multiple times that they're using an inline six. V6 ain't happening.
'What about the mechanicals? “I spoke to Supra fans. The six-cylinder engine, turbos, and front-engine-rear-drive layout are vital.” BMW does those things doesn’t it? “Yes, so we collaborated.” Which means, and Tada confirms this, the Supra won’t use the Lexus V8. A BMW six then? “Few car companies have straight-six engines,” he replies. “Toyota did but it doesn’t any longer.” Toyota’s European R&D head Gerald Killmans later confirms that it’s a recalibrated version of the BMW engine. We suspect the M3’s twin-turbo. That means 450bhp ballpark.' From TopGear
Can you tell me where? All see is people making generalizations off this quote that they chose to collaborate with BMW because they use six-cylinders, turbos, and front-engine-rear-drive

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Can you tell me where? All see is people making generalizations off this quote that they chose to collaborate with BMW because they use six-cylinders, turbos, and front-engine-rear-drive
use the search function or Google...? This has been confirmed for a while now.

While the Supra will ride on the same platform as the Z4 and share powertrains with BMW, the German manufacturer wanted each car to have its own character from day one.

Tada said the partnership represented the “perfect opportunity” for Toyota to bring back the Supra, as there are two core elements essential to the coupe’s identity.

“As you know this is the fifth-generation Supra. There has been one consistency - a straight six engine has been installed in all of them,” he said.

“Another important element is FR [front engine, rear-wheel-drive] configuration.

“These two elements should really remain in the new model.”
The Supra will be powered by a turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine. Why? Because tradition matters, especially to Supra superfans. “Without exception, from the first generation to the fourth generation, we always fulfilled this element of straight-six engine in all Supras,” says Tada-san. “Our Supra fans around the world know that. I’ve actually heard from many of these fans that if that element is not covered, it’s not a Supra anymore.”

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
use the search function or Google...? This has been confirmed for a while now.
Yet no one is able to show me where. Just because a random magazine article says 'confirmed,' doesn't mean it actually is. I have read dozens of articles that say 'confirmed' but they can't point to a quote that explicitly says it.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Yet no one is able to show me where. Just because a random magazine article says 'confirmed,' doesn't mean it actually is. I have read dozens of articles that say 'confirmed' but they can't point to a quote that explicitly says it.
Tetsuya Tada is not a random article.

There, since you are opposed to reading, here you go straight from the man himself.

Q: Inline 6, how important is that?

-- We have first, traveled around the world for voices of many Supra owners and fans. And one thing we noticed being referred to over and over was the inline 6, and the silky character of the engines that defined the Supra.

We didn’t particularly see the element of nostalgia to be a focal point of the revival of the name, although each region had their own strong ideas about what they wished deriving from characters and identities of the past Supra.

But much like the 86, we thought it had to be relevant to today’s customer needs, and evolved into something to really succeed the previous cars.

We’ve seen turbo and naturally aspirated engines in previous iterations, but all inline 6. So that was one thing we were firmly fixated from the start. That and the fact that it must stay front engine, and rear drive just as all previous 5 generations of Supra. Our fans everywhere made sure we focused on these two elements adamantly as well, universally.
I too wanted a Toyota powerplant but it is pointless now.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Tetsuya Tada is not a random article.

There, since you are opposed to reading, here you go straight from the man himself.

What part of "I have read dozens of articles" did you not understand? There's no need to make a childish stab that I am opposed to reading, all I asked for was someone to point me in the direction since I see many baseless claims on daily basis. I look forward to watching this video when I get off work

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
What part of "I have read dozens of articles" did you not understand? There's no need to make a childish stab that I am opposed to reading, all I asked for was someone to point me in the direction since I see many baseless claims on daily basis. I look forward to watching this video when I get off work
...because this concern has come up more than a billion times on this forum and you're asking a mod for proof lol. Just go 10 threads down for the interviews with Tetsuya Tada..

If you read those articles then you would see Tada's name in them and he has been quoted many times saying the inline 6 is crucial and somehow you think Toyota change their mindwill just troll their fanbase and go with a V6..

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
...because this concern has come up more than a billion times on this forum and you're asking a mod for proof lol. Just go 10 threads down for the interviews with Tetsuya Tada..

If you read those articles then you would see Tada's name in them and he has been quoted many times saying the inline 6 is crucial and somehow you think Toyota change their mindwill just troll their fanbase and go with a V6..
My argument is that a v6 is still on the table, not that they will use a v6. I don't care which is used (Im a former 335i owner) but I think it is ridiculous how journalists jump to all these conclusions for click-bait and people buy into it. A magazine at my local grocery store says Trump is having an affair with Hilary, should I assume it is true as well?

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My argument is that a v6 is still on the table, not that they will use a v6. I don't care which is used (Im a former 335i owner) but I think it is ridiculous how journalists jump to all these conclusions for click-bait and people buy into it. A magazine at my local grocery store says Trump is having an affair with Hilary, should I assume it is true as well?
Man what?

It's an inlinesix engine, no question. That came from the damn creator.

If you want a V6, there's room to mod it to achuieve that feat. But a V6 isn't a factory option. It wouldn't be called a Supra anymore.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Man what?

It's an inlinesix engine, no question. That came from the damn creator.

If you want a V6, there's room to mod it to achuieve that feat. But a V6 isn't a factory option. It wouldn't be called a Supra anymore.
I did not say I wanted a v6. I said I wanted to see actual quotes instead of baseless claims.
I still believe the v6 is on the table, although unlikely and probably not as good as the s55/b58, I have a hard time believing Toyota spent a great deal of r&d on their TT v6 but had to bring another company to make another turbo 6 cylinder engine. Especially when the Supra is supposed have a lower center of gravity than the 86 while also having 50:50 weight distribution with a long motor tilted 30 degrees to one side. That is literally having your cake and eating it too.
The GTR made the transition just fine.
Sponsored