New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

SupraGuy19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CRV Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have always loved the Supra, since I was a young boy. Toyota teaming up with BMW on such an iconic flagship car really rubs me the wrong way. No one knows what engine the new Supra will come with. Other than the Calty design studios being responsible for the design sketches, I'm not sure what else Toyota played in producing this vehicle. Heck all the prototypes have been found in Germany. This car was designed in Southern CA and is really being built by BMW. I have not seen any Japanese guys anywhere. If I wanted a BMW, I would just rather just buy a BMW Z4.

If it does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?
Sponsored

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It will come down to a few factors:
- looks
- price
- performance
- I'd personally would hold a grudge against Toyota if they badge this a Supra with a BMW sourced engine for marketing reasons.But with time if the car is really good I may learn to let go lol. I'd rather see a new name if this is the case and let this car be it's own image.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Lol, you sound like me :love: so far I feel a bit disappointed as the development has been really unexpected..seemingly BMW has completely taken over the entire project. I'm still on the fence about the engine since the heart of any vehicle to me is the powerplant.. Nothing against BMW at all, I just like the variety with the automakers..wouldn't really be interested in getting a M4 using a Toyota engine either.

If they don't call it a Supra, OK, maybe I'll be more accepting of the engine & chassis...but it would still be highly disappointing considering we all know the FT1 concept was invoking the successor so it would feel like a bit of a marketing con.. People point to the GT86's development as being similar since it doesn't have any true Toyota ties to the AE86, but the Toyobaru in my eyes was a success as the two companies developed only 1 final product together whereas this Z5/Supra is supposed to spawn quite different variants...this undoubtedly will affect the price, looks and potentially performance. So far it feels like we are getting just a rebadged Z5 with a watered down FT1 body kit, BMW interior and potentially a BMW engine to top it off...but all this is merely speculation thus far from the mules..so I'm with Supraman here, the only way Toyota's cost saving project would be considered a success is if the exterior isn't watered down, it gets a separate interior from the Z5 and the performance is worth the cost (2+2 seating like all other Supras & the FT1 would be a bonus..)..anything less will just add more disappointment.

Last edited:

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
I have to admit my enthusiasm is starting to wane a little. Unfortunately this is the path that Toyota decided to take. I'm sure they knew there would be backlash, but maybe this was the only way they could bring the Supra back to life.

The FT-1 concept really grabbed me. I realize that concepts rarely make it to production.

I'm going to wait. Check pricing. Decide if the car is worth it in the end. The key here is pricing.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
As everyone else said, depends on price & performance. A BMW engine is not a bad thing except for out-of-warranty service and thus resale value.

It would be a new vehicle purchase for me so it would be under whatever Toyota warranty is applicable. I would not plan to keep it forever, but if it really was a BMW engine and the reliability wasn't looking good, then I'd probably be sure to get rid of it before warranty expired.

If it was a Toyota product through and through (which it's not, since it's being built at Magna Steyr), I'd probably plan to keep it for a longer period of time, but in reality I would probably end up flipping it in 4-5 years too.

But again, if price and performance were attractive, who built the engine would probably not turn me away.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Still up on Toyota.ca
sorta, you have to dig for a little bit whereas the ft1 was pretty much on the front page on the us site..now its the fj replacement

I get that, i'm just saddened that it has less exposure...not too many folks, who aren't already familiar with the supra/ft1, would look for those pages by having to manually search for them

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
back on topic about the engine. i actually wouldn't mind a BMW engine. knowing Toyota they would have probably just shoved in the 2GR.

I get that, i'm just saddened that it has less exposure...not too many folks, who aren't already familiar with the supra/ft1, would look for those pages by having to manually search for them
i get what you saying, but its been 3 years now.