New Toyota software updates for the 2020?

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
like for like guys

If you buy an expensive PC, it's still going to be outdated. Just like a semi-expensive car.

It happens with every manufacturer.

W211 AMG, was 6.2, then update to 5.5 turbo
W210 AMG, was 5.4, then update to 6.2 just as examples

It is not uncommon - and we all knew it was coming.
Yeah, except you kinda have to soften that response since no one expects it after half a calendar year, and a model year of less than a calendar year. I think thatā€™s way too soon even by the standards of the fasted moving technology.
Sponsored

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
of course they won't, why would they? seriously surprised anyone expected anything less? If you buy a new PC and it's outdated within 6 months, too bad...

Any backwards revision updates will have to be paid for too
As someone who has a couple of $4000-5000 PC builds, Iā€™m not nearly as chapped about updates to PC parts as I am about the update to this car. Itā€™s not really comparable, because when/if I decide to buy 2080ti cards to replace my 1080ti cards, Iā€™m not losing any warranty with my purchase and upgrade.

Go ahead and swap the head and manifold on your car and see how that warranty thing goes, though.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Consider this.

If code alone could make the car meaningfully better, then why add different hardware?

Unless Toyota was sooo rushed getting this thing to market that they really have seriously suboptimal code (certainly possible and wouldnā€™t rule it out), then I think the notion of code alone (this code or any other) giving us a serious improvement to driving dynamics a bit unrealistic.

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I can give a sh$& less about any refinements to suspension. The car handles great.

I would, however, like a revised tune with some added power. Weā€™ve seen this done over and over again with aftermarket tunes, Toyota could easily make it happen.

I sold my hellcat charger for this car..... so yes, that extra 50hp is a big deal to me. Lol

Last edited:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
The dampers are revalved so that's why the AVS and eDiff are retuned. Unless you guys want the updated stability control which will make absolutely no noticeable difference to you, a software update will do you nothing. Also you probably won't get the updated sport displays because I have a hunch that the new Infotainment is the latest gen iDrive. If that's the case then you could probably change out the iDrive computer but you gotta pay to play.

You guys make it seem like Toyota made your cars slower by releasing a new model lol. Your car is just as enjoyable today as it was last week before you heard the news. Go out and enjoy it instead of wondering what could have been. Next year will have another update and the year after that something else. Tada San said year over year updates. He's making good on that.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
....You guys make it seem like Toyota made your cars slower by releasing a new model lol. Your car is just as enjoyable today as it was last week before you heard the news. Go out and enjoy it instead of wondering what could have been. Next year will have another update and the year after that something else. Tada San said year over year updates. He's making good on that....
^this!

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I personally doubt continuous YoY 50hp bumps. :dunno:

If Toyota adds some new caliper stickers and fender decals, no one would care.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
honestly, any software updates can be installed by yourself with BMW tools. Not hard, no harder than flashing your car. i still think people are making a big deal out of nothing.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I personally doubt continuous YoY 50hp bumps. :dunno:

If Toyota adds some new caliper stickers and fender decals, no one would care.
Exactly exactly exactly. Letā€™s not pretend that the jump this ā€œyearā€ (heavy quotations on year since 2020 MY was super short and weā€™re barely into 2020) is even close to normal. This jump is unheard of for a car that has been on the streets for what - 7 months??

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
honestly, any software updates can be installed by yourself with BMW tools. Not hard, no harder than flashing your car. i still think people are making a big deal out of nothing.
Itā€™s easy to say that when you run a tuning and/or performance shop and have no intentions of keeping your warranty or your car stock.

From someone who has had numerous highly modified evos, STis, swapped s chassis, charger hellcat, etc, Iā€™ve learned the hard way that sometimes a highly modified car with no warranty isnā€™t fun or ideal for the street.

I purchased the Supra with the intentions of keeping a warranty for a long, long while and it is absolutely a bummer that less than 4 months later Toyota releases a completely revised engine with more power that will come with a warranty.

I know Iā€™m beating the dead horse here, but honestly it wouldnā€™t be hard for Toyota to send out a revised tune for MY20 owners and give us a power bump. Weā€™ve seen it done across the board with 3rd party tuning thru people who didnā€™t care about warranty. I do. I personally can not afford to modify and break a 60,000 dollar car the same way that you can.

OP
OP
Axix23

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Itā€™s easy to say that when you run a tuning and/or performance shop and have no intentions of keeping your warranty or your car stock.

From someone who has had numerous highly modified evos, STis, swapped s chassis, charger hellcat, etc, Iā€™ve learned the hard way that sometimes a highly modified car with no warranty isnā€™t fun or ideal for the street.

I purchased the Supra with the intentions of keeping a warranty for a long, long while and it is absolutely a bummer that less than 4 months later Toyota releases a completely revised engine with more power that will come with a warranty.

I know Iā€™m beating the dead horse here, but honestly it wouldnā€™t be hard for Toyota to send out a revised tune for MY20 owners and give us a power bump. Weā€™ve seen it done across the board with 3rd party tuning thru people who didnā€™t care about warranty. I do. I personally can not afford to modify and break a 60,000 dollar car the same way that you can.
100% Agreed ^^^^

ToyotaBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
The B58 is a bullet proof engine. A stage one tune will add 40-70hp without doing the engine any harm.

You can use JB+ or an app on your phone. Both of which can revert to stock in just 10min. This is why Toyota our the B58 in the Supra. It's easy, cheap and reliable to tune of you want a bit more power.

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The B58 is a bullet proof engine. A stage one tune will add 40-70hp without doing the engine any harm.

You can use JB+ or an app on your phone. Both of which can revert to stock in just 10min. This is why Toyota our the B58 in the Supra. It's easy, cheap and reliable to tune of you want a bit more power.
Tuning most cars is fairly easy. Iā€™ve tuned evos, Mazdaspeed, and subarus. The problem is that manufactures have been able to read flash counts for years and sometimes reverting back to stock tune does not help.... Youā€™re more than welcome to take your chances, but I only purchased this car for the warranty. If I wanted a modified car without warranty I would have kept my evo 8.

ToyotaBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
Tuning most cars is fairly easy. Iā€™ve tuned evos, Mazdaspeed, and subarus. The problem is that manufactures have been able to read flash counts for years and sometimes reverting back to stock tune does not help.... Youā€™re more than welcome to take your chances, but I only purchased this car for the warranty. If I wanted a modified car without warranty I would have kept my evo 8.
In that case, the most warranty friendly way to extract more performance out of your Supra is by using tyres that are optimal for your climate. That could allow you to apply more throttle without wheelspin than 2021 owners.

Either way the 2021 changes are just that beginning. BMW have allowed Alpina to put the S58 in the B3 before the G80/G82 have debuted. The Supra will inevitably get the same engine whether it's a limited run model or not.

Therefore one shouldn't be fixated on the 2020 models achieving retrospective parity with MY2021.

Last edited:

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In that case, the most warranty friendly way to extract more performance out of your Supra is by using tyres that are optimal for your climate. That could allow you to apply more throttle without wheelspin than 2021 owners.

Either way the 2021 changes are just that beginning. BMW have allowed Alpina to put the S58 in the B3 before the G80/G82 have debuted. The Supra will inevitably get the same engine whether it's a limited run model or not.

Therefore one shouldn't be fixated on the 2020 models achieve retrospective parity with MY2021.
No arguments here. If Toyota saw no issue with killing the value of the MY20 within 7 months of its release, Iā€™ve got little faith that it wonā€™t happen year after year. This will definitely be my last Toyota purchase, and I honestly wish I had just gotten a GTR.
Sponsored