New Toyota Supra rumored to get Toyota twin turbo V6 engine

Would you pay $50k-$60k for a 350-400hp "Supra"?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Maybe, depends on other factors like weight, styling and etc.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

AZ Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hoping for new Supra
What twin turbo V6 engine could this be? Turbo version of the 5.0L V8 from the LC500 and RC F?
Sponsored

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If this is the case I'm all for it. Partner up to make a light platform while still using a Toyota engine. Wouldn't mind Supra being used either.

^ It's most likely a new develop engine that would be made for this car.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
If this is the case I'm all for it. Partner up to make a light platform while still using a Toyota engine. Wouldn't mind Supra being used either.

^ It's most likely a new develop engine that would be made for this car.
Now that would make the new Supra even more special, a bespoke engine developed just for it. Rare to see in this age of shared engines among many models. Hope you're right!

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yup though I can see them sharing it later on with the GS F / RC F and so on. But if it's strictly for this car only, even better.

JohnnyTX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GTS (05)
New article from Automobile which discusses upcoming BMW models but also mentions the MKV Supra. The article says that "the ultimate Supra will be powered by a twin-turbocharged V-6 from Japan."

Relevant paragraph:
I was actually hoping it might be the M3/M4 engine ever since I had a chance to drive a buddy's M4. But on the bright side having a Toyota engine in a Supra could help the image of the car even more especially if it performs well. In any case, whatever engine the new Supra gets it'll have a tough act to follow because 2JZ :)

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
I really hope they give us something new. The GR engine family has been in used since 2002.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
With emissions getting stricter and Toyota looking into turbo technology again (new Lexus is300) I think a new V6 is most likely.

JJR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CT200
I really hope they give us something new. The GR engine family has been in used since 2002.
With emissions getting stricter and Toyota looking into turbo technology again (new Lexus is300) I think a new V6 is most likely.
New engine would give the Supra revival even more buzz and attention than it will already get! I've always thought that a halo sports car should have a halo engine that's exclusive for it, or at least was introduced with it (and then filters to other models).

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I was really hoping for a new I6, but I'm also ok with a V6 from Toyota.

Toyota's V6 > BMW's I6 >>>>>>>>> any 4 cylinder!!!

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
If Toyota is going with a V6 TT than why even team up with BMW at all? Shorten the new LC's platform, drop in a turbo charge 2GR-FSE and slap on the Supra nameplate.
You really don't want a BMW engine in your Toyota ;)

Recently sold my M3. More and more I just felt like I was rolling the dice everytime I started the car. I never personally had any engine trouble, but all the time I'd hear about guys having various trouble, which even when not catastrophic, still costs big money to repair. Just the other day there was a writer on Jalopnik with a low-mileage 2012 talking about his $6k bill. And despite the rational part of my mind telling me "this only happens in a very small percentage of cars" the perception is hard to shake.

This sort of thing is not the norm in Toyota products.

I just can't see the $50k price tag coming with carbon. The new Lexus GA-L platform is also scalable. They have hinted that it will be used for future RWD Lexus models.

Either way, if the rumors are true I'm ok with it. A new Supra should come with a Toyota engine.

As far as carbon for a relatively low price , the BMW i3 is carbon and is in the $40s. And the processes to make it is supposed to be getting cheaper. Alfa 4c is in the mid $50s. Granted this car should be much more than both of those cars (though the Alfa in particular strikes me as being overpriced).

The more time passes, the more rumors there are, the more I think "$50,000" is going to start at $58,995 or thereabouts, and with the options you want will be more like $68k (yes, please paint the car, yes, I want the "performance package" on my performance car, no, I will not pay extra for nav in the year 2018...)

J P

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW

Recently sold my M3. More and more I just felt like I was rolling the dice everytime I started the car. I never personally had any engine trouble, but all the time I'd hear about guys having various trouble, which even when not catastrophic, still costs big money to repair. Just the other day there was a writer on Jalopnik with a low-mileage 2012 talking about his $6k bill. And despite the rational part of my mind telling me "this only happens in a very small percentage of cars" the perception is hard to shake.

Fear of rod bearing failure in the S65? That engine's a gem but the rod bearing failures put a damper on it. That and the fuel pump failures in the N54 engines in the previous 3 series generation tarnished the otherwise really good engines.

As far as carbon for a relatively low price , the BMW i3 is carbon and is in the $40s. And the processes to make it is supposed to be getting cheaper. Alfa 4c is in the mid $50s. Granted this car should be much more than both of those cars (though the Alfa in particular strikes me as being overpriced).

The more time passes, the more rumors there are, the more I think "$50,000" is going to start at $58,995 or thereabouts, and with the options you want will be more like $68k (yes, please paint the car, yes, I want the "performance package" on my performance car, no, I will not pay extra for nav in the year 2018...)
With the platform being co-developed with BMW there's a good chance we might see some CFRP in the chassis/body somewhere. They showed they can do mass carbon fiber construction for 'cheap' with the i3 so having it as part of the car's material doesn't necessarily mean massive price tag.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Fear of rod bearing failure in the S65? That engine's a gem but the rod bearing failures put a damper on it. That and the fuel pump failures in the N54 engines in the previous 3 series generation tarnished the otherwise really good engines.
Among other things.

The rod bearing issue still appears to be very limited, less than 1% of production, and is heavily weighted among supercharged and other modified cars. However there are people with stock, seemingly well kept cars who have had their engines go kaput, and the thought of having a car with a $20,000 timebomb under the hood is not exactly appealing. The fear is such that many owners and enthusiasts consider prophylactic rod bearing replacement to be a necessity.

And they have plenty of other expensive stuff go wrong too.

BMW engines are wonderful things, but so many come with an asterisk of "they're great except for this rare one little tiny hugely expensive common issue."

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150

In my experience with my E60, the motor and tranny is solid. Its the computers and modules that have been a nightmare. 3 modules failed and the dealer said it would be at least $6k to replace them all.

Yes, BMW has the i3 starting at $42k. I would love to see it all happen for $50-$60k, but just a little pessimist at this point.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
In my experience with my E60, the motor and tranny is solid. Its the computers and modules that have been a nightmare. 3 modules failed and the dealer said it would be at least $6k to replace them all.

Yes, BMW has the i3 starting at $42k. I would love to see it all happen for $50-$60k, but just a little pessimist at this point.
Yeah when Acura's car can top $200k and Nissan's car starts at $101k, it's hard to fathom that Toyota will have some bargain priced car. Seems like the ethos of this car has changed back and forth enough that I don't think we can reasonably count on a design goal years ago of "$50s" for the FT-1 to carry into whatever becomes the Supra.

On my M3 I had a couple of sensors and a module go out. Once was about $300 and the other time was about $600, at an independent mechanic. Dealership would certainly had been more. Not the end of the world, but I would never have expected those sort of troubles in a Toyota or Lexus product.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ that's what I'm afraid of, that the original $50-$60k real world price tag was given back in 2012 when Toyota gave the green light to make the concept. Earliest production would be 2018. The GT-R and NSX are all above $100k. This car may not be faster than those 2 stock but it's becoming tougher now to see if Toyota will really bring this car to market at $50-$60k range. Realistically I see it more above $65-75k starting. Which for those that can afford it would be a bargain as long as it's worthy. I hope I'm wrong and it ends up closer to the Corvette price.
Sponsored