New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gte

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTR, GS350, 98 Quick Silver TT
Would you consider a 430hp, 3300lbs auto trans, fake aero, BMW powered A90 Supra at 63k?

Considering the proper response to this poll and that a 370z offers starting at 29k, how much more should 100ish hp cost? Is an additional 30k worth the (general) same output, obviously not based on the poll. What about an additional 100hp, is that worth 33k extra dollars?

There are many other cars in different classes that are somewhat comparable. Performance and handling, the Camaro 1SS would spank the Supra for 38k, the Infiniti Q60 offers 400hp and AWD for 10k less, the RS3 and Ford GT350 also offer superior performance for less money. Even the RCf could be had for that price with a more reliable drivetrain.

Both American vehicles offer way more horsepower and torque with rwd with more weight for less money, both example import cars offer awd and more technology (and almost guaranteed better efficiency) for less money. So where is the target market for Toyota? Is it only those who wanted a Supra years ago and for whatever reason didn't own one?

If the current rumors are true at 335hp, 3300lbs and 4.5 0 to 60, the performance figures are identical 25 years later, the mk4 actually made closer to 350 flywheel hp.

The 370z is probably the closest comparison to the rumored specs of the mk5. Since equal horsepower isn't worth an additional 33k (based on the poll) is 100hp worth an extra 33k? 150hp? 200hp?

Poll results
poll.jpg
Sponsored

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No one is a bigger skeptic than me on this forum, but even I know that rumors on SupraMKV.com should be taken with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, all we have up to this point is a bunch of mule photos/videos "spotted in xyz". No one (not even folks from Toyota who are on this forum) can tell us any concrete information on what; engine, transmission, differential, etc... the MKV Supra will have. You may very well be right about the 335HP figures, but to be quite frank....that might be the low tier trim (the turbo 4cyl?). In today's era of sports cars, NA six cylinder cars are making 350HP, so I would assume that a turbocharged six on a halo car would be well above those figures.

Personally, im amazed this two manufacturers (Toyota and BMW) have managed to keep things hush hush for this long. I mean, let us at least wet our beaks a bit by showing what the damn logo will be for the Supra.
Basically this

ostatem3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 M3
Vehicle Showcase
No one is a bigger skeptic than me on this forum, but even I know that rumors on SupraMKV.com should be taken with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, all we have up to this point is a bunch of mule photos/videos "spotted in xyz". No one (not even folks from Toyota who are on this forum) can tell us any concrete information on what; engine, transmission, differential, etc... the MKV Supra will have. You may very well be right about the 335HP figures, but to be quite frank....that might be the low tier trim (the turbo 4cyl?). In today's era of sports cars, NA six cylinder cars are making 350HP, so I would assume that a turbocharged six on a halo car would be well above those figures.

Personally, im amazed these two manufacturers (Toyota and BMW) have managed to keep things hush hush for this long. I mean, let us at least wet our beaks a bit by showing what the damn logo will be for the Supra.
Hahaha, I forgot people don't know the Logo yet. :popcorn::ninja:

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
It looks more like a 718/cayman Fighter than the 911.

BMW M2 $54,000 ------------------------------------- 3,450 lbs
BMW M3 $66,500 ------------------------------------- 3,540 lbs
BMW M4 $68,700 ------------------------------------- 3,530 – 4,055 lbs
Porsche Cayman $55,000 --------------------------- 2,888 – 2,965 lbs
Porsche Boxter $57,000 ------------------------------ 2,888 – 2,965 lbs
Porsche 718 GTS $79,000 --------------------------- 3,031 lbs

Ford Shelby Mustang $57,240 ---------------------- 3,760 lbs
Chevy Camaro 1SS $37,000-$42,000 ------------ 3,339 lbs
Chevy Camaro ZL1 $61,500 ------------------------ 3,883 – 4,113 lbs
Chevy Corvette Stingray $55,495 ------------------- 3,298 – 3,362 lbs
Chevy Corvette GS $65,494 -------------------------- 3,428 – 3,486 lbs
Dodge Challenger SRT $50,495 --------------------- 4,279 lbs
Dodge Challenger Hellcat $65,495 ------------------ 4,448 lbs
Nissan 370z Nismo $45,690 -------------------------- 3,493 – 3,533 lbs
Mercedes C63 AMG $66,100 ------------------------- 3,829 – 4,226 lbs
Audi RS5 $69,000 ---------------------------------------- 3,649 lbs

Toyota Supra MK4 --------------------------------------- 3,285 - 3,461 lbs
Toyota Supra MK5 -----------------------Anticipated : 3,306 lbs

Where did you get 2,900 lbs? New reporters were being told 1500kg which equates around 3,300 lbs. A stripped down GT MK5 race car maybe..Logically, this makes more sense because if they are sourcing the engine from BMW, it should have around the same weight category. Look above. 3,450 - 3,530 lbs for the M cars. If it is truly 2,900 lbs, that is serious balls from toyota. Straight 6 engines are notorious for being heavier. How else are they going to shed weight? Carbon Fiber? lmfao.
For the lack of weight, most manufacturers are making it up for HP.
I'll save others some time by re-posting what I had posted earlier.

There are definitely better makes and models (as listed above). If it tops at the supposed $63,000 mark, this car is a total bust. The general public would rather own
A. Merc AMG - POWER, Brand, prestige, refinement, and luxury
B. Dodge HellCat - POWER, POWER, POWER,
C. AUDI RS5 - POWER, Brand, Prestige, and luxury
D. Chevy Corvette - POWER, POWER, Best value
When you are doing a compare and contrast, this MKV shot it self in the foot already before launch.

Interestingly enough, it has come to general consensus that the car will not come at 2,900 lbs after much arguing or the fact that 330 HP or 350 HP was supposedly sufficient even though members then later argued that it wasnt enough.

You need to be careful on this forum. People here are SUPRA sensitive.

I completely agree with you 95% of the way there. Just a realistic approach.

If the current rumors are true at 335hp, 3300lbs and 4.5 0 to 60, the performance figures are identical 25 years later, the mk4 actually made closer to 350 flywheel hp.
This quote above hit where it hurts the most. Most readers need to understand the meaning of this quote to really understand Toyota's illogical step with pricing, power, and image.

Hopefully, that GR hybrid meets our expectations.
(i said it first and i will say it again. When this Hybrid comes out, expect a fire.)

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Comparing HP is not entirely fair, torque is what the Supra will have compared to something like a 370z. I would definitely consider those stats if the driving experience surpasses that of the 86.

The more I think about it, the more the car makes sense now beyond the paper specs. Toyota will boast that it is the future, combining performance and modern safety & tech..if the iron block claims are also true then it also satisfies the tuners who want to boost it to oblivion and have a car that competes with the fastest. Plus the design alone I think will be a hit for plenty of folks.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
Torque is a natural characteristic of straight inline engines whereas with engines in V configurations lack torque. V Config engines are required to be on the higher end of the RPM to produce the desirable driving characteristics.

370z just weighs like a tank atm. Needs to go on a diet. Considering how small it is but jammed with a powerful V6 makes up (slightly) for its obesity.

Well, toyota hasnt really released any confirmations as to the specs. So, at the moment, this car cant really make sense but relied upon speculations. Toyota, step up.

Iron Block +1
However, the use of the iron block should really hammer that final nail in the coffin that this car can be under 2,900 lbs..unless it is completely stripped.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
I'll save others some time by re-posting what I had posted earlier.

There are definitely better makes and models (as listed above). If it tops at the supposed $63,000 mark, this car is a total bust. The general public would rather own
A. Merc AMG - POWER, Brand, prestige, refinement, and luxury
B. Dodge HellCat - POWER, POWER, POWER,
C. AUDI RS5 - POWER, Brand, Prestige, and luxury
D. Chevy Corvette - POWER, POWER, Best value
When you are doing a compare and contrast, this MKV shot it self in the foot already before launch.

Interestingly enough, it has come to general consensus that the car will not come at 2,900 lbs after much arguing or the fact that 330 HP or 350 HP was supposedly sufficient even though members then later argued that it wasnt enough.

You need to be careful on this forum. People here are SUPRA sensitive.
I'll raise your POWAH with a HANDLING

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how much cooler you can make the Supra badge look compared to the MKIV. Also, hoping they don't mess this up.
I mean, at this point....anything is possible with Toyota, right? Look at what they did with the 4Runner's logo after the 3rd gens....:doh:.

2nd Gen:
4runner3.jpg

3rd Gen:
4runner.jpg

4th Gen and up:
4runner2.jpg

It's obvious as quality has gone down in their cars, so have simple things like the decals. I would be amazed if they decide to keep or resurect the high quality "marker signed" style Supra Tubro logo from the MKIV's.

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
Considering that Tada himself previously stated that the MKV Supra would have a 50/50 weight distribution, a lower center of gravity than the Toyota 86 (and possibly rivaling the LFA), and twice the rigidity of the Toyota 86 chassis, the above specs would get a 'mostly yes' from me. If the engine makes over 400 ft/lbs of torque like the F80 M3, this car, in stock form, would be fun and fairly competitive on the race track (compared to cars like the C7 Corvette).

My only primary concern (based on the OP's theoretical spec sheet) would be if this was indeed a donor BMW engine as I don't want to have to deal with the potential BMW-centric maintenance issues after the warranty expires. I am, however, okay with a BMW bottom end and a Toyota top end with accessories. I am still hoping for a curb weight of between 3,050-3,200 lbs.

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
I feel Toyota has been placed between a rock and a hard place. I also think they should have never said they will be bringing back an icon. What do I know times have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.