Status
Not open for further replies.

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
i dont understand why everyone is saying there will be a new concept on the "real platform"? did we ever get a new 86 concept on a "real platform"? most concept cars these days are just bodykits/shells over an existing or modified chassis. then from there the automaker decide which styling cues will carry over onto the production car. an example is the Lexus LF-LC concept. it was just a bodykit on a modified LFA chassis. we never got a new concept on a "real platform". now BMW's concept maybe closer to the actual size if the used the existing Z4 or 2 series chassis to built their concept on.
FR-S Concept was on production version chasis.
Sponsored

Turbo GFX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV GTI
i dont understand why everyone is saying there will be a new concept on the "real platform"? did we ever get a new 86 concept on a "real platform"? most concept cars these days are just bodykits/shells over an existing or modified chassis. then from there the automaker decide which styling cues will carry over onto the production car. an example is the Lexus LF-LC concept. it was just a bodykit on a modified LFA chassis. we never got a new concept on a "real platform". now BMW's concept maybe closer to the actual size if the used the existing Z4 or 2 series chassis to built their concept on.
Even if the concept car does not sit on the actual platform, my comment was more about something BASED ON the known specifications. Since the FT-1 is just a shell underpinned by the Lexus RC platform, we don't know if that is just what was available to them or an accurate representation of the MKV's final size.

My question would be whether Calty knew what size/weight the MKV will be, whether it will be RWD/AWD (I think we are all thinking RWD), 2+2 configuration, etc. All of that obviously affects how they would have designed the concept.

<TC OFF>

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Even if the concept car does not sit on the actual platform, my comment was more about something BASED ON the known specifications. Since the FT-1 is just a shell underpinned by the Lexus RC platform, we don't know if that is just what was available to them or an accurate representation of the MKV's final size.

My question would be whether Calty knew what size/weight the MKV will be, whether it will be RWD/AWD (I think we are all thinking RWD), 2+2 configuration, etc. All of that obviously affects how they would have designed the concept.
+1 would be interesting to actually know how much particular specs, if any, CALTY was told to build around for the concept FT-1. Knowing this would give us more insight on what to expect from production Supra.

Or, maybe they basically took a MKIV Supra and just gave it their modern interpretation of it without much direction on technical stuff.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
FR-S Concept was on production version chasis.
we're talking about both chassis and platform (drivetrain and etc.). the FRS concept did not have a drivetrain, it was powered by an electric golf cart motor.

Last edited:

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150

oh i see. sorry i mistook your comment. right, a concept that is closer to the production car would be nice.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
+1 would be interesting to actually know how much particular specs, if any, CALTY was told to build around for the concept FT-1. Knowing this would give us more insight on what to expect from production Supra.

Or, maybe they basically took a MKIV Supra and just gave it their modern interpretation of it without much direction on technical stuff.
Million dollar question. But since the concept was designed a couple of years ago now, even if they were given rough technical guidelines to design around, things could have changed substantially since then.

FXuser

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
I'm hoping some of the feedback they got on the concept told them that it is too big. I know (or I think) they made comments that it was made bigger on purpose for the auto shows? Anyway I think most of us want something that is at most only slightly bigger than the 86.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Yes, they made it 10% larger than what the production road car would be. The reason behind that decision was to give the concept car greater stage presence.

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
we're talking about both chassis and platform (drivetrain and etc.). the FRS concept did not have a drivetrain, it was powered by an electric golf cart motor.
Well I didn't see you mention about engine, so I took it you only meant the chassis. I don't see any carmaker putting a production engine on a fancy looking concept car. BMW may put real engine in its production-like concept cars, but that's the one of a few makers I remember have concepts look exactly the same as production.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
They were obviously talking about a concept for the real platform and not just a design exercise. I have a lot of respect for Calty does but they are not engineers and the concepts should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Did they even know /were told the size, weight, drivetrain configuration, engine choices, etc that Toyota is shooting for?
Well I didn't see you mention about engine, so I took it you only meant the chassis. I don't see any carmaker putting a production engine on a fancy looking concept car. BMW may put real engine in its production-like concept cars, but that's the one of a few makers I remember have concepts look exactly the same as production.
it was kinda implied. originally we we're only talking about platform. you were the one that throw in the FRS built on real chassis ;)

also what are people's definition of platform. it will vary from person to person. this is what i understand it too be.

lutzx10ar_ch012.jpg

Last edited:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
it was kinda implied. originally we we're only talking about platform. you were the one that throw in the FRS built on real chassis ;)

also what are people's definition of platform. it will vary from person to person. this is what i understand it too be.

lutzx10ar_ch012.jpg
That is not a platform. That is the drive train. Platform is the monocoque body of the car to make it really simpe.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
That is not a platform. That is the drive train. Platform is the monocoque body of the car to make it really simpe.
you mean something like this? i always understood the ex below as a chassis.

26Solstice_Rolling_Chassis.jpg

or

lamborghini-aventador-lp700-4-rolling-chassis_100341308_h.jpg

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I also think it will vary from person to person, and from automaker to automaker. But this is what I was told a platform is???

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I consider that the chassis and platform of the car. WhicH is what I expect to come out of the Toyota BMW project.

Turbo GFX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV GTI
^ I consider that the chassis and platform of the car. WhicH is what I expect to come out of the Toyota BMW project.
Yup that is what I consider the platform and will hopefully see a concept built off of the BMW/Toyota one soon. It'll give us a much better idea of the production size/proportions/etc.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.