NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Got my recall done. All good no issues.

Love the FS Car Play. So glad I was able to dodge that $200 bullet to view my Album Artwork in FS mode :p
Sponsored

Hellion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 premium
This is bound to happen: Toyota is still clueless about servicing the Supra. I will never go back to them for service after they rotated my tires, and then washed my car and badly swirled my paint using towels they had just used for some asswipeā€™s Tundra.

Iā€™ll get this recall done in 6 months.
Yeah. F this. Count me out. They'd have to come take my car from me at gunpoint to accomplish this recall right now. I'll be waiting for awhile too.

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
After the update, Iā€™m happy lol
54EA8D3A-29E4-4893-91AE-FBAE16A25828.png
Yeah, I can understand those who have modded cars not liking this shit for sure.

But, for a stock simpleton this update was needed. They can lock my ECU all they want I drive like a grandma anyway :D

Reactions: zrk

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
This thread has been really helpful on getting the update or not. Please continue posting your feedback.

With my luck they would probably brick my ECU and then try to to replace it with a Bosch locked version.

-RJM

Bkuu18

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
gonna wait this one out as well. I have mine tuned with no need to bench unlock. Going to enjoy it longer until I have to pay $$$ to unlock after I bring it in for the recall fix

TheIronLotus

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Supra 3.0
Does the update to the infotainment let you hear notifications from waze without having to put in a destination? Currently that is the only way I can get notifications (like road hazards or the boys in blue) to give an audio cue.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
Does the update to the infotainment let you hear notifications from waze without having to put in a destination? Currently that is the only way I can get notifications (like road hazards or the boys in blue) to give an audio cue.
I don't think so, I seem to only get them with a destination. I think that is really a Waze CarPlay issue and not related to the car. I don't have any other cars with CarPlay though so I can't really compare.

TheIronLotus

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Supra 3.0
I don't think so, I seem to only get them with a destination. I think that is really a Waze CarPlay issue and not related to the car. I don't have any other cars with CarPlay though so I can't really compare.
Thanks for the Reply. I'm not sure its a Waze thing. I use my phone on my wife's Alfa Romeo and the notifications works just fine. I also had it on my Jeep wrangler with now issue. Maybe I'm answering my own question here but just thinking about it.......I wonder if its a Bluetooth thing. I have to use a usb cable to connect CarPlay on the Stelvio and it works fine. ?

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Got the update done this week. It was drama free and I love FS Apple CarPlay.

I will say, experiencing ASD again was funny. I forgot that would get turned back onā€¦.

I also asked them to check my rear diff, which had a bit of fluid on it a while back when I had my bigger anti roll bars installed. They found no fluid and noted small leakage from the top vent is normal with ā€œexcessive rear axle slipā€.:rolleyes:

Geauxtigers17

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
The post-June 2020 change is a physical change to the ECU. ECUs manufactured before that date cannot be hardware locked like the ones after. So unless the dealership is physically swapping out ECUs, it shouldnā€™t be an issue.

That said, I havenā€™t seen anyone yet who has got the recall done and then had the ECU unlocked afterward. Once that happens itā€™ll confirm it, until then Iā€™d just sit and wait to make sure Toyota/BMW/Bosch didnā€™t come up with some new kind of software lock that didnā€™t exist before.
I can confirm. I had the recall done two weeks ago and John Visconti just got done doing a remote unlock on my ECU. It took a day because Ecutek had to add support for the new software update, but it all worked out. Iā€™m taking it to Cannonball Garage next week to get the installs done (AMS Catless dp, Visconti flex fuel kit and Boost Logic exhaust) and AMS will be doing the tuning. So there you have it. The ECU is unlockable, post-recall.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I can confirm. I had the recall done two weeks ago and John Visconti just got done doing a remote unlock on my ECU. It took a day because Ecutek had to add support for the new software update, but it all worked out. Iā€™m taking it to Cannonball Garage next week to get the installs done (AMS Catless dp, Visconti flex fuel kit and Boost Logic exhaust) and AMS will be doing the tuning. So there you have it. The ECU is unlockable, post-recall.
Post your results after the tune...would love to see what AMS can do with basic bolts on and tune. I'm in Northern Lake County and am planning to take my car there whenever they finally figure out how to unlock my locked '21 ECU.

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Hmm...no recall completed yet...but it's in the service bay now. I've always been able to hear notifications on Waze with no destination entered. This is without any update.

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
I take Round Rock donuts myself. I might set aside a few for myself?

https://roundrockdonuts.com/
Dropped my car off this morning for the recall...took Tacos to the Techs. Good to have buddies in the service garage!

I've had my corvette peeps tell me to do this all the time...never did...this car has lots of dealer service crap that made me decide to heed that advice now. Helps I have a long time buddy Master Tech there.

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Right... so continue on with the "let about 1000 other people go first" plan before doing mine. ?
This is bound to happen: Toyota is still clueless about servicing the Supra. I will never go back to them for service after they rotated my tires, and then washed my car and badly swirled my paint using towels they had just used for some asswipeā€™s Tundra.

Iā€™ll get this recall done in 6 months.
Yup..my Tech said since I was the first Supra for the dealer...they had to download the update to their system...so it can be uploaded to my car. He said he was going to have to go slow since he hasn't done this update for a Supra yet.

So waiting till your dealer has done a few supras probably wouldn't hurt, and besides this recall's issue is pretty manageable anyway.
Sponsored