NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Thanks to Misterskiz note to self... bring Twinkies and ho's to appointment.
Sponsored

Lilchief

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium, 2015 Corolla LE
Correct. There are 3 levels of "locking" from the factory:

1) Nothing at all, it's completely open and you can flash it all you like. This describes the first half of the 2020s. Note that having the ECU reflashed by the dealership (including this recall) will move you to #2.

2) Soft lock. You need a bench unlock to program the ECU, but once you get it bench unlocked you're free to flash it as much as you want. This describes the latter half of the 2020s and the first half of the 2021s. Note that having the ECU reflashed by the dealership (including this recall) will require a new bench unlock. Bench unlocks require removing the ECU from the car (takes 2 minutes), hooking up some cabling to it, and running some scripts on an attached computer. This process can be by the tuner directly (either locally if you're there, or you ship the ECU to them) or remotely where the tuner ships the necessary cables to you, you hook them up to the ECU and your own computer, and the tuner remotes in to your computer and unlocks it. As far as I know Visconti is the only tuner offering a remote unlock option, it's more expensive but it means you don't have to ship the ECU anywhere, so there's no risk of it getting lost. And if you were to actually insure your shipment the full value of an ECU replacement, I'm pretty sure the shipping costs would end up being more expensive than the remote unlock anyway.

3) Hard lock. So far there's nothing you can do to program these, but companies are starting to come out with options, so far none of them are great as far as I can tell. This describes the latter half of the 2021s.
Thank you for the info, I truly thought I could buy the MHD license online with the adapter to tune it. Didnā€™t realize the ECU had to be shipped first.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Has anybody taken their Supra in for a recall and the dealership was unsuccessfully updating the software and the Navi screen went blank blue and was told by the dealership that a new idrive navi system was needed. Lol (not me, happened to a friend of mine) now her car is stuck at Toyota until a new Navi unit comes in.

87473FA5-1305-4853-8321-7B9098D1F495.jpeg

E082A774-E635-470C-9742-E89CB223F0DE.jpeg

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Correct. There are 3 levels of "locking" from the factory:

1) Nothing at all, it's completely open and you can flash it all you like. This describes the first half of the 2020s. Note that having the ECU reflashed by the dealership (including this recall) will move you to #2.

2) Soft lock. You need a bench unlock to program the ECU, but once you get it bench unlocked you're free to flash it as much as you want. This describes the latter half of the 2020s and the first half of the 2021s. Note that having the ECU reflashed by the dealership (including this recall) will require a new bench unlock. Bench unlocks require removing the ECU from the car (takes 2 minutes), hooking up some cabling to it, and running some scripts on an attached computer. This process can be by the tuner directly (either locally if you're there, or you ship the ECU to them) or remotely where the tuner ships the necessary cables to you, you hook them up to the ECU and your own computer, and the tuner remotes in to your computer and unlocks it. As far as I know Visconti is the only tuner offering a remote unlock option, it's more expensive but it means you don't have to ship the ECU anywhere, so there's no risk of it getting lost. And if you were to actually insure your shipment the full value of an ECU replacement, I'm pretty sure the shipping costs would end up being more expensive than the remote unlock anyway.

3) Hard lock. So far there's nothing you can do to program these, but companies are starting to come out with options, so far none of them are great as far as I can tell. This describes the latter half of the 2021s.
Where did you get information on #2? We have been trying to figure out if the recall will cause tunable 2021s to become un-tunable and your post is the first I've seen that simply says it will need another bench unlock, not that it can no longer be unlocked.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Where did you get information on #2? We have been trying to figure out if the recall will cause tunable 2021s to become un-tunable and your post is the first I've seen that simply says it will need another bench unlock, not that it can no longer be unlocked.
The post-June 2020 change is a physical change to the ECU. ECUs manufactured before that date cannot be hardware locked like the ones after. So unless the dealership is physically swapping out ECUs, it shouldnā€™t be an issue.

That said, I havenā€™t seen anyone yet who has got the recall done and then had the ECU unlocked afterward. Once that happens itā€™ll confirm it, until then Iā€™d just sit and wait to make sure Toyota/BMW/Bosch didnā€™t come up with some new kind of software lock that didnā€™t exist before.

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
The post-June 2020 change is a physical change to the ECU. ECUs manufactured before that date cannot be hardware locked like the ones after. So unless the dealership is physically swapping out ECUs, it shouldnā€™t be an issue.

That said, I havenā€™t seen anyone yet who has got the recall done and then had the ECU unlocked afterward. Once that happens itā€™ll confirm it, until then Iā€™d just sit and wait to make sure Toyota/BMW/Bosch didnā€™t come up with some new kind of software lock that didnā€™t exist before.
I had to submit a rom file (ECU dump) to my tuner as the new cal id isn't supported by ecutek yet. It will be the normal bench unlock process and then load in my tune from there.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Forgot the ecu locking. I spoke to a Supra tech today and he told me the new recall updates was causing some idrive headunit malfunctions where it freezes up during the updates which causes Toyota having to order a new headunit. FML ?ā€ā™‚ The people that got the recall updates with no issues are the lucky ones.

rjn21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
I had the update in the U.K. ~60 minutes to do the flash. No problems. S18T-21-07-519 is the new I-level. My battery charge state was in good condition as I use a trickle charger at all times. The tech used a BMW approved power supply (big thing) to ensure power was uninterrupted.

I used BimmerCode to reapply my coding afterwards with no problems on the modules I had previously coded. Full screen carplay operational. I donā€™t have any tune so canā€™t comment on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJ-

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Forgot the ecu locking. I spoke to a Supra tech today and he told me the new recall updates was causing some idrive headunit malfunctions where it freezes up during the updates which causes Toyota having to order a new headunit. FML ?ā€ā™‚ The people that got the recall updates with no issues are the lucky ones.
I'm not surprised to hear this. This is no different from bricking an ECU, or motherboard during a firmware update that looses a connection halfway through the re-write. Guess we'll let Toyota figure all that out before I head in to have it done.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Has anybody taken their Supra in for a recall and the dealership was unsuccessfully updating the software and the Navi screen went blank blue and was told by the dealership that a new idrive navi system was needed. Lol (not me, happened to a friend of mine) now her car is stuck at Toyota until a new Navi unit comes in.

87473FA5-1305-4853-8321-7B9098D1F495.jpeg
Do you know if the car was on a battery tender? I'd guess that either the laptop lost the connection or the cars voltage dropped.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Do you know if the car was on a battery tender? I'd guess that either the laptop lost the connection or the cars voltage dropped.
unsure Honestly. All I know is the dealership she went had never attempted a recall update before hers. Not sure why she went to that one lol

I am calling technician error. But who knowsā€¦..

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
unsure Honestly. All I know is the dealership she went had never attempted a recall update before hers. Not sure why she went to that one lol

I am calling technician error. But who knowsā€¦..
This is bound to happen: Toyota is still clueless about servicing the Supra. I will never go back to them for service after they rotated my tires, and then washed my car and badly swirled my paint using towels they had just used for some asswipeā€™s Tundra.

Iā€™ll get this recall done in 6 months.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
My appointment is scheduled for tomorrow AM and I have a question about this. Is there anything special I need to do in Bimmercode to do a backup and restore? I have changed so much that there's no way at this point I could go back and do it all by hand.
I attempted to look for a backup of my current settings, but didn't really dig into it much - as I understand it it only backs up your change from stock. So any backup you put would but putting the car back to stock - which it would already be.

I just remembered what I did and redid it all.
Sponsored