NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
My dealership has had my car for 4 days now and they're saying it's still not done with the recall.... makes me wonder if something else is up. When I went there last Thursday it was hooked up for a software update... followed up today and they can't give me a timeline saying they're still waiting on something from toyota.
This is one of those time where im gonna say they dont know what theyre doing.
Sponsored

rjn21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
My dealership has had my car for 4 days now and they're saying it's still not done with the recall.... makes me wonder if something else is up. When I went there last Thursday it was hooked up for a software update... followed up today and they can't give me a timeline saying they're still waiting on something from toyota.
The update takes max 90 mins, allow some time for faffing about with ramp space, connecting the power supply, maxing out the warranty time unit charge, say 2 hours. Any more than that, either something is wrong, they don't know what they're doing, or their ISTA laptop needs an update. To be fair the laptop update is a fairly large download, but they should be checking for ISTA updates daily. There is nothing to come from Toyota for the recall campaign, unless they've bricked the car by not attaching the power supply and the voltage dropping mid-flash. In which case the dealer's insurers may write the car off depending on number of ECUs bricked and replacement availability given the worldwide chip shortage. I really hope you don't end up there.....

Last edited:

Nojz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
The update takes max 90 mins, allow some time for faffing about with ramp space, connecting the power supply, maxing out the warranty time unit charge, say 2 hours. Any more than that, either something is wrong, they don't know what they're doing, or their ISTA laptop needs an update. To be fair the laptop update is a fairly large download, but they should be checking for ISTA updates daily. There is nothing to come from Toyota for the recall campaign, unless they've bricked the car by not attaching the power supply and the voltage dropping mid-flash.
Thank you!

Sounds like someone has some 'splaining to do...

Nojz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
Thank you!

Sounds like someone has some 'splaining to do...
Update - Dealership confirmed they botched the update and lost power during the software update. Potentiality will need a new ecu....

I just purchased this 2020 Launch Edition... I'm within my right to terminate my contract since I haven't taken delivery of this vehicle. Should I stick through it and see it through or get out now before this snowballs into something bigger?

rjn21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Update - Dealership confirmed they botched the update and lost power during the software update. Potentiality will need a new ecu....

I just purchased this 2020 Launch Edition... I'm within my right to terminate my contract since I haven't taken delivery of this vehicle. Should I stick through it and see it through or get out now before this snowballs into something bigger?
You may want to put in place a written timeline whereby the dealer agrees the car will be fully repaired and available to collect on x date. If the car is not available to collect, fully functional, on that date you may elect to withdraw from the purchase contract, with a refund of all amounts paid.
You may wish to take legal advice on your rights as applicable in your specific jurisdiction.

Personally Iā€™d walk now and ask for all moneys paid back. The dealer is clearly, with respect, totally incompetent. Not attaching a power supply during flashing is such a basic error, the techs have clearly had no training and are fumbling around without a clue. The Toyota supra training (in Europe) is absolutely crystal clear. No flashing without attaching the Toyota approved (bmw) power supply.

If the dealer canā€™t perform a very very basic flash update, Iā€™d have no confidence they would have a clue how to successfully remove, replace and register to the car potentially up to every ECU the car has, if they can even get hold of replacements within a reasonable time.

fowwiee

First Name
Yu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra

Dropped car off at 1pm, got the message that they started working on the car at 4pm and got an update saying itā€™s all done at around 5:30pm.

They were pretty honest, they said the update should take 2 hours max, itā€™s just that they donā€™t have enough Supra tech, so the car will be sitting there for a few hours before anyone can get to it. They also checked the seat belt for fault.

When I dropped the car off, (Mine is stock with just a cat back) they asked at least 5 times whether I have a tune on it or not. The service advisor asked repeatedly, then the manager also came out and asked me again. The manager asked ā€œare you sure that they didnā€™t change the software when they put that exhaust on? Do you want to double check with the shop that worked on your car first before we do anything?ā€

so it sound like have done the recall on a tuned Supra and Iā€™m guessing the outcome wasnā€™t pleasant

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero

Well, were you ever planning on getting the car tuned? Because all 2020's to my knowledge, especially launch edition cars, had fully tunable ECU's. If they've bricked your ECU and have to issue you a new one, that probably means you will get one of the newer hardware locked BOSCH ECU's that most 2021 owners are currently rocking, which so far are still unable to be tuned. Then there's the fact that there's no telling how long it could take to get you a replacement ECU, and then even after they do get you one, who's to say they won't flub up the next install of the update and brick this ECU as well lol.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Dropped car off at 1pm, got the message that they started working on the car at 4pm and got an update saying itā€™s all done at around 5:30pm.

They were pretty honest, they said the update should take 2 hours max, itā€™s just that they donā€™t have enough Supra tech, so the car will be sitting there for a few hours before anyone can get to it. They also checked the seat belt for fault.

When I dropped the car off, (Mine is stock with just a cat back) they asked at least 5 times whether I have a tune on it or not. The service advisor asked repeatedly, then the manager also came out and asked me again. The manager asked ā€œare you sure that they didnā€™t change the software when they put that exhaust on? Do you want to double check with the shop that worked on your car first before we do anything?ā€

so it sound like have done the recall on a tuned Supra and Iā€™m guessing the outcome wasnā€™t pleasant
This is probably exactly what happened. Someone probably lost their tune, had their ECU locked again, and now has to spend another $400+ dollars to have the ECU bench unlocked so that they can flash their tune file back onto the ECU. I really want to get this update done to my car, but my car is currently tuned and the shop that performed the bench unlock is a 5 hour drive from my house and also charged me $250 to perform the unlock. I don't want to drive 5 hours and pay another $250 lol. I was really lucky that my tuner didn't charge me the going rate on unlocks because he said that $250 was doing me a favor since I drove so far.

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So my story ...

Purchased a used 2020 3.0 premium in late August and dropped it of today at dealer in NoVa.
They said two hours. It's now been twelve, the tech left for the night and they'll have him call me in the AM to fill me in. Not going to sleep well tonight.

ddoubled

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Nocturnal
So my story ...

Purchased a used 2020 3.0 premium in late August and dropped it of today at dealer in NoVa.
They said two hours. It's now been twelve, the tech left for the night and they'll have him call me in the AM to fill me in. Not going to sleep well tonight.
Too many horror stories, I believe Iā€™ll wait a bit.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
As much as I hate going to my dealership it seems I may be lucky in the fact that my tech seems to know what he's doing...
I just got the recall done last week or something...it only took 1.5hrs..
I was very happy with that..

We have 3 supra techs at my local place and only 1 has ever touched my car...after talking with the tech the first time my car went in
He seem knowledgeable and very competent....I asked my service advisor that he be the only 1 to ever perform any service to my car and so far it's worked out for me..

Steve

Nojz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
Too many horror stories, I believe Iā€™ll wait a bit.
You may want to put in place a written timeline whereby the dealer agrees the car will be fully repaired and available to collect on x date. If the car is not available to collect, fully functional, on that date you may elect to withdraw from the purchase contract, with a refund of all amounts paid.
You may wish to take legal advice on your rights as applicable in your specific jurisdiction.

Personally Iā€™d walk now and ask for all moneys paid back. The dealer is clearly, with respect, totally incompetent. Not attaching a power supply during flashing is such a basic error, the techs have clearly had no training and are fumbling around without a clue. The Toyota supra training (in Europe) is absolutely crystal clear. No flashing without attaching the Toyota approved (bmw) power supply.

If the dealer canā€™t perform a very very basic flash update, Iā€™d have no confidence they would have a clue how to successfully remove, replace and register to the car potentially up to every ECU the car has, if they can even get hold of replacements within a reasonable time.
Yeah.... I'm leaning towards walking away. I already have until three days after I take delivery, but I may give them until Thursday. Even if they fix this bricked ECU who knows what kind of issues I might run into when I try to tune it. Sounds like they're either incompetent or there's a pre- existing issue that caused the ecu to be bricked.

I've usually stuck to older vehicles and never touched the ecu so this is uncharted territory for me....is this essentially brand new car worth keeping if the ecu has already been bricked?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Even if they fix this bricked ECU who knows what kind of issues I might run into when I try to tune it. Sounds like they're either incompetent or there's a pre- existing issue that caused the ecu to be bricked.
If they fix the ECU you're fine, but need a bench unlock.

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Yeah.... I'm leaning towards walking away. I already have until three days after I take delivery, but I may give them until Thursday. Even if they fix this bricked ECU who knows what kind of issues I might run into when I try to tune it. Sounds like they're either incompetent or there's a pre- existing issue that caused the ecu to be bricked.

I've usually stuck to older vehicles and never touched the ecu so this is uncharted territory for me....is this essentially brand new car worth keeping if the ecu has already been bricked?
Walk away. Replacing the ecu with a new one will take away the ability to tune. Iā€™d walk away even if I wasnā€™t tuning and find another car.
Sponsored