NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I just talked to my friend who’s a BMW tech and he said they were just informed Toyota is bricking over 7% of the ECUs due to incompetence. Meanwhile, no reports of BMW bricking their customers. Surprise, surprise.
Sponsored

SunbirdGTO

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 1986 Mitsubishi Starion
::Update::

Called the dealer this AM and asked what was up. He confirmed that they hadn't updated a Supra before and the update took a longer than expected time. Got it back today with full screen CarPlay even though they said it wouldn't update it. Fixed the trunk that would pop, but not open fully. Everything else seems to be the same and no worse for wear.
Hey I'm in Northern VA. What dealership did you use? Thanks.

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I just talked to my friend who’s a BMW tech and he said they were just informed Toyota is bricking over 7% of the ECUs due to incompetence. Meanwhile, no reports of BMW bricking their customers. Surprise, surprise.
Quite curious where the percentage came from as I wouldn’t think that is something manufactures would share.

Also wonder if it is simply due to not be maintaining voltage (hooking up a charger) during the update process.

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Quite curious where the percentage came from as I wouldn’t think that is something manufactures would share.

Also wonder if it is simply due to not be maintaining voltage (hooking up a charger) during the update process.
All I know is I’m going to follow the lead of a couple local Supra guys and have BMW do the recall.

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Lunch for the techs goes a long way. And I don’t mean Subway.

Last edited:

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
The Tundra dude gave me the whole “you know that’s not a Toyota, right?” BS, and started in with how his 392 Charger is faster, that my “little V6 couldn’t pull a greasy string out of a dog’s ass…blah blah.” I offered to meet and race him but he declined.
LOL, someone (half) read a brochure. Dude doesn't know this isn't a V6, so its not even worth getting into it.

As for the update, Swickard in the Seattle area started around 1pm and I got a call around 3:40 saying it was done. It seems to fit within the 2 hour window most people are seeing.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
I'd recommend everyone let their service advisors know to inform the techs to put the vehicle on a battery tender when doing the update. Not having enough voltage during the update is most likely what's bricking everyone's ECU. Mine took 2 and a half hours to perform.

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
So BMW just bills Toyota for the recall?
I suspect this could be problematic for two reasons:

1.) It may not register with Toyota (and Carfax etc) that the recall was compete

2.) BMW’s “version” of ISTA may not allow update of the Supra

I’m very much hypothesizing and hope I’m wrong I’m both accounts. Personally I’m sitting tight for a while.

tg_mkv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
Had the recall done this past weekend and I've also unfortunately noticed some throttle hesitation now as others have mentioned, although it could just be that the car wasn't fully warmed up yet.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Nothing mechanically wrong with my vehicle, I however just noticed some minor damage to the drivers side side skirt I assume was some caused by the tech getting in/out and having the heel of their boot rub against it. Make sure you guys walk around your vehicle with the advisor before and after the recall is performed. I walked around mine but didn't think to look that far down. Only noticed it today when I was washing it.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I went and got the recall done on my 2021 this past Tuesday. The recall itself went good as far as I can tell. I picked up the car at the end of the day like they said I would. They mentioned they had some issues with downloading software but I have the full screen apple car play, they confirmed the recall was good, and I drove home so clearly didnt impact me. I noticed the difference with ASD being back on and all my bimmercode settings reset. Other than that no difference in the car for me.

I feel like any other things i felt in the car that were different were purely being made up in my mind because I wanted to find something different from reading posts (once again just my opinion). So car feels same.

BuyHighSellLow

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Premium, MK6 Jetta
Just came home with mine after the recall fix. Took longer than expected due to some issues with the update and they had to keep it overnight, but so far so good. I'll report back if any issues arise.

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
I went and got the recall done on my 2021 this past Tuesday. The recall itself went good as far as I can tell. I picked up the car at the end of the day like they said I would. They mentioned they had some issues with downloading software but I have the full screen apple car play, they confirmed the recall was good, and I drove home so clearly didnt impact me. I noticed the difference with ASD being back on and all my bimmercode settings reset. Other than that no difference in the car for me.

I feel like any other things i felt in the car that were different were purely being made up in my mind because I wanted to find something different from reading posts (once again just my opinion). So car feels same.
I felt the same way and my brother kept saying that it was in my head. That the car drove the same. I didn't have full screen carplay when I got my car back. It also showed that my tank was empty. I stopped for gas and it only took a gallon. Started my car up again and it was full with full screen carplay.
Sponsored