Nissan goes back to the future to electrify 1960s Silvia

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
So Nissan got well into prototyping the S16 many years ago... but did an about face and killed the entire Silvia model line dead (thanks for that, Carlos Ghosn *sarcasm*).

Then not long ago they came up with the fully drivable IDx concept with very clear Datsun 510 styling cues.... and did absolutely nothing with it despite getting enormously positive public reaction to it.

Now a new back-to-the-1960's Silvia is being considered as we are about to enter the inevitable EV era.

You know, I am actually REALLY glad that Nissan is doing this given the current sea of ass-ugly crossovers, SUVs and egg/bubble shaped EV concepts that keep coming up. I am very happy to see Nissan reviving their small two-door RWD personal coupe rather than yet another one of those boring-mobiles.

However as 60's cool as the fist Silvia is I'd much prefer styling cues taken from the S13, S14 or S15 and their much more high performance driver machine appeal.

Also even if this gets made will it be for Japan only like the Honda E? (granted I'd much prefer a new Silvia over a Honda E assuming they do a good job on the execution of it as an EV driver's car).

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
So Nissan got well into prototyping the S16 many years ago... but did an about face and killed the entire Silvia model line dead (thanks for that, Carlos Ghosn *sarcasm*).

Then not long ago they came up with the fully drivable IDx concept with very clear Datsun 510 styling cues.... and did absolutely nothing with it despite getting enormously positive public reaction to it.

Now a new back-to-the-1960's Silvia is being considered as we are about to enter the inevitable EV era.

You know, I am actually REALLY glad that Nissan is doing this given the current sea of ass-ugly crossovers, SUVs and egg/bubble shaped EV concepts that keep coming up. I am very happy to see Nissan reviving their small two-door RWD personal coupe rather than yet another one of those boring-mobiles.

However as 60's cool as the fist Silvia is I'd much prefer styling cues taken from the S13, S14 or S15 and their much more high performance driver machine appeal.

Also even if this gets made will it be for Japan only like the Honda E? (granted I'd much prefer a new Silvia over a Honda E assuming they do a good job on the execution of it as an EV driver's car).
THat IDX was so cool. I can't believe they didnt make it.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra