No upcoming STI until electric

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Just saw this, must say I’m surprised after they’re poor choice to make things like recaro only available with the cvt.
42CB3D39-49D2-44F9-81B5-9D2A090AD2EE.png
Sponsored

Al.B

First Name
Alin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
That blew my mind. Never seriously concidered it but always been a fan. When I saw how ugly the new gen was my first thought was they are trying to kill interest in the wrx so they can kill the model. Now makes me think that even more.

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
Might be a good time to pick up a 2020/21 STI. The price of those, as the last ICE STI's could be soaring in a few years.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Maybe Mitsubishi will make the evo again. :rolleyes:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
That's quite abrupt and sad news. I've always liked the WRX STI models.

Whatever they do with it next I just hope they don't turn it into a lifted crossover.

eliotrw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ice Grey 3.0
Might be a good time to pick up a 2020/21 STI. The price of those, as the last ICE STI's could be soaring in a few years.
I'd agree with you if they were good cars but honestly to me its a 2008 car in 2020 clothing, its bizarre they went for a proper 4wd system but late 90s power levels when Golf Rs exist as well as A45s.
If that car doesnt take it to then its pointless. Even the civic type r for example.

Id go for one of the others like the hawkeye one in good condition instead.

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
I had a 2005 and a 2009, traded the 2009 in on the Supra. I didn't see anything new enough to keep me in the platform. I truly loved both cars but thought the newest model was just more of the same in a more rigid chassis. Yawn.

They really had the chance to do something big with the S209, but decided to go with a turd turbo that they had more experience with than the one that was initially designed to be bolted on the engine.

Skidsareforkids

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 MkV.
I debated holding out for a next Gen STi or a new Civic Type-R before I got the Supra. I’m glad I have the Supra but there are times when I squeak more practicality would be nice… Dumb move by Subaru

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
They will be saying the same about about the supra in a few years also haha.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Subaru has poor engine development and engineering. What I heard was that they were planning on a new a new STI (they even announced it) but they we’re having difficulties getting the power from the new motor and still meeting emissions and making it reliable.

So they scrapped the car. The new WRX is just very poorly packaged too. The top trim with adjustable dampers and Recaro seats is CVT only. WTf?

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Between the new WRX and now this, why such a giant change? Subaru seemed like they found their footing again

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Between the new WRX and now this, why such a giant change? Subaru seemed like they found their footing again
I believe it is along the lines of what Thill444 was saying above...

What I heard was that they were planning on a new a new STI (they even announced it) but they we’re having difficulties getting the power from the new motor and still meeting emissions and making it reliable.
Also even if this now abandoned version of the WRX STI *did* pass the emissions regulations it needs to meet how many years of production would it be able to be sold in various markets while still meeting various emissions requirements as a pure gasoline-turbo engine with a manual transmission?

The GR86 is itself only going to be available in greater Europe for a couple of model years before it will not pass Euro emission standards by then. Subaru must be facing something similar.

The Supra and V6TT Z will be up against the same issue before long. Subaru seems to have bigger issues with their niche flagship high performance model than the other competing Japanese automakers with deeper financial pockets.

I know we will see another STI again but it will be a hybrid-electric at minimum.

Subaru had just better not turn it into a "sporty" crossover or SUV. More than electrification that really is the true death knell for any beloved niche high performance car.
Sponsored