Not vs. but... who is coming from S2000 World?

Did you own S2000?

• Total voters

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considering buying a AP2. I'm usually a Miata guy (owned 6 of those), but the allure of the S2K is undeniable.

I drove my buddy's very clean Suzuka blue AP2, and I was impressed how nimble the car feels and how amazing the N/A feel is. I love winding out the motor along with the induction noise.
Sponsored

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
I'm considering buying a AP2. I'm usually a Miata guy (owned 6 of those), but the allure of the S2K is undeniable.

I drove my buddy's very clean Suzuka blue AP2, and I was impressed how nimble the car feels and how amazing the N/A feel is. I love winding out the motor along with the induction noise.
Do it.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase

I'd suggest trying an AP1 before making your decision. Paraphrasing here -- 'The AP2 may be the better car, but the AP1 is the better S2000'.

FWIW, I'd sell every car I have or had owned before I'd sell my AP1.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I owned an AP1 for a while and drove a few AP2s. If you like spinning out, go for the AP1. If you like a slightly more tame car, go for the AP2. They both have snap oversteer issues but the AP2 is a lot more controllable. The AP1 is a better track car once you figure out how to drive it though. The Vtec kick on the AP1 is way more fun than the AP2. Yes the are the same car but they are very different.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I'd suggest trying an AP1 before making your decision. Paraphrasing here -- 'The AP2 may be the better car, but the AP1 is the better S2000'.

FWIW, I'd sell every car I have or had owned before I'd sell my AP1.
I donā€™t know anyone with an AP1, but I bet the 9000 RPM redline is pretty entertaining.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, S13 200sx
I had a bmw 320i daily and an S2000 as a toy, but I just sold the S2000 to buy a new Supra. The 320i will go to my wife and I will daily the Supra.

I used to really love the S2000. It felt special and engaging to drive. However after 3 years of ownership the powerband is really starting to get on my nerves.

Sure the car feels great on track or on windy roads, but on normal roads this thing is just so slow.. There is absolutely no power below 6k revs and above 6k revs in second gear Iā€™m already breaking the speed limit. I understand that I wonā€™t be able to use all of the Supraā€™s power either in these situations, but at least I can enjoy the acceleration up to the speed limit.

I donā€™t like to daily the S2000 for that reason and the nearest good roads are about 1h away from me so I donā€™t go there very often anymore. In the end the S2000 was just sitting in the garage most of the time and I only drove it for about 1000 miles in the last year. That is why I decided to get something sporty that is more enjoyable during my daily commute, while still being fun for spirited driving.

My conclusion is that the S2000 may be more fun in specific situations, but the Supra will be more fun most of the time.

IS2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Porsche Cayman, 2003 Mitsubishi EVO8, 2020 GR Supra
I had two AP1sā€™ back in the early 2000ā€™s when I was in SoCal. I was on s2ki.com and my user name was mark_is300 (had both Lexus IS300 and S2k at the same time, hence the IS2000 username now). I sold my second S2k back in 2003. I thought the driving positions of the A90 reminds me a lot of the S2000 and some of the handling characteristics as well. I would love to have another one of those cars again but they are hard to come by where I live. The current value is also downright crazy ($100k for first year model with 100k miles).
Sponsored