Odd turbo lag?

Takonic

First Name
Kelv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Im not a car guy/knowledgeable enthusiast yet. I've had my MKV since June. Since winter is here now in Canada. I Noticed ALOT lately from a full stop/fully warmed engine. When I step on the gas ( not driving like an ape, but conservative normal way) I got low power, then an Immediate surge of boost at around 3k RPM. I dont recall this happening during the summer or the first 5 months of owning it. Is this normal? and does the cold affect these things? I just been annoying since I live in the city, and the lights are real close..so its also just surging of boost over and over.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Takonic

Takonic

First Name
Kelv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Have you modified the car at all?
pure stock still. only real difference was going from 91octane with i think 10% ethanol to just pure 91octane, and winter tires on a square setup.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Im not a car guy/knowledgeable enthusiast yet. I've had my MKV since June. Since winter is here now in Canada. I Noticed ALOT lately from a full stop/fully warmed engine. When I step on the gas ( not driving like an ape, but conservative normal way) I got low power, then an Immediate surge of boost at around 3k RPM. I dont recall this happening during the summer or the first 5 months of owning it. Is this normal? and does the cold affect these things? I just been annoying since I live in the city, and the lights are real close..so its also just surging of boost over and over.
This seems normal to me. I don’t think there is a mechanical issue here.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Also are you driving in Sport or Normal? it takes longer for the turbo to spool up in normal so you might be feeling that delay a bit harder. Also remember cold air is denser, so the car will feel a bit peppier in the winter. The turbo isnt working as hard to give you the same amount of air as it does during the summer and other warmer seasons, so it will feel a bit different.

OP
OP
Takonic

Takonic

First Name
Kelv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Also are you driving in Sport or Normal? it takes longer for the turbo to spool up in normal so you might be feeling that delay a bit harder. Also remember cold air is denser, so the car will feel a bit peppier in the winter. The turbo isnt working as hard to give you the same amount of air as it does during the summer and other warmer seasons, so it will feel a bit different.
it happens in both, but yeah it takes a few to spool up, the different driving modes just means if it takes longer or shorter and just kick in like "vtec yo"
Sponsored

Last edited: