Featured Official 2020 Supra MPG: 24 City / 31 Highway / 26 Combined

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by JT, Apr 3, 2019.

1. sdot

sdot New Member

Car(s):
    Camry
    Liked:
    According to BMW, the M240i with the auto (same drive train as the MKV) does 60 in 4.4 seconds, and that is with an extra 100+ lbs over the Supra. I don't think 4.1 seconds is that far-fetched.

2. BRX

BRX Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Abdulla
    Car(s):
    Tundra, Celica, GT86
    Liked:
    The M240i puts down to the wheels what BMW claims it makes at the flywheel according to multiple sources. But let's look at it from another angle. The M240i with a good launch and decent weather can do the 1/4 mile in 12.3-12.4 seconds. If the MKV is quicker by 0.3s from 0 to 60 that translates to at least 12.0-12.1s in the 1/4. That's C7 territory and the Corvette weighs almost the same as an MKV with 460HP at the flywheel.

No matter how you look at it, 340HP makes zero sense in both the M240i and the MKV. BMW might as well use their own unit of measurements for power. I guess we will find out soon once reviews are out, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is able to run 11s in a bone stock MKV.

3. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2013 FRS
    Liked:

This is why I plan on dynoing the car, and taking it to the strip once I get it. We can see what the specs say all day long, but until we have actual benchmarks, we won't know for certain.

bogglo likes this.
  4. SupraFiend

SupraFiend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    Thats because these aren't dyno charts. They are marketing graphs to illustrate the power curve of the motor. They certainly use engine dynos to get the sample data for these charts, but what you are looking at is averaged discrete sample points plucked from their own dyno charts. And then apparently modified to agree with what the marketing department and product planners have come up with. If those curves before the flat sections are actually accurate, then the motor is heavily underrated.

BRX likes this.