Ohlins Road & Track

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
The Verus plates dont work with the Ohlins, unless you know someone, like me, who made them work. Just let me know when you make the swap and I will give you all the info needed to make them work.
Ohlins are in route. I got the last “in stock” ones from Turner MS for under $3k, the RSR cancellers from Jackie PHD, more tires from Maxxis (way too much rub on my low height Eibach US spec springs) and Hawk DTC 60 brakes pads. Really ate up the Paragon pads. Could have been from the extensive rub.

56557AE9-8010-4D1B-AD1E-E6668E8D7236.jpeg

I was kinda motivated after this last track weekend 😂.

My mechanic said he’s done many coilovers and is familiar with the RSR cancellers 😮💨. Your advice/instruction will definitely be appreciated!! I have SPL adjustable control arms in addition to the Verus camber plates. But would like to keep them 😊
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Ohlins are in route. I got the last “in stock” ones from Turner MS for under $3k, the RSR cancellers from Jackie PHD, more tires from Maxxis (way too much rub on my low height Eibach US spec springs) and Hawk DTC 60 brakes pads. Really ate up the Paragon pads. Could have been from the extensive rub.

56557AE9-8010-4D1B-AD1E-E6668E8D7236.jpeg

My mechanic said he’s done many coilovers and is familiar with the RSR cancellers 😮💨. Your advice/instruction will definitely be appreciated!! I have SPL adjustable control arms in addition to the Verus camber plates. But would like to keep them 😊
Those tires are wasted!

Do you have a local machine shop that has the ability to make some misalignment spacers on a lathe? If not, I can probably whip up another set. Its just 2 spacers you need to get the camber plates to work.

krumpir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium

You should also consider throwing in SPL rear toe arms if you don't already have them. I can't say for sure but you may encounter the same ride height issue with the Venus plates + Ohlins that myself and others have encountered with Vorshlag plates + Ohlins. Did you get replacement springs?

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
You should also consider throwing in SPL rear toe arms if you don't already have them. I can't say for sure but you may encounter the same ride height issue with the Venus plates + Ohlins that myself and others have encountered with Vorshlag plates + Ohlins. Did you get replacement springs?
As long as he doesnt slam the thing, he will end up having just a hair of preload on the front springs with the Verus plates. This is as low as you can go on the Verus plates while still having preload.... Its like 1/2-3/4" lower than stock.

20230205_170057.jpg

Also, I will second getting the rear toe arms with the eccentric lockouts.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Why are the ohlins so height limited with tophats?
The shock shaft is super thick on the Ohlins and wont go through the pillow ball like the factory top hats. That makes the spring perch sit about an inch higher than it should. On top of that, there arent enough threads on the shock body to compensate for it. You literally have to run the shock body in its shortest possible configuration.

krumpir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
The shock shaft is super thick on the Ohlins and wont go through the pillow ball like the factory top hats. That makes the spring perch sit about an inch higher than it should. On top of that, there arent enough threads on the shock body to compensate for it. You literally have to run the shock body in its shortest possible configuration.
This is correct, if you swap the springs you can get around this and have preload as well

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I do have the SPL rear toe arms with eccentric lockouts 👍🏼
Those tires are wasted!

Do you have a local machine shop that has the ability to make some misalignment spacers on a lathe? If not, I can probably whip up another set. Its just 2 spacers you need to get the camber plates to work.
57EDBEBC-A294-4A99-8ABE-5F14744324EA.jpeg

AA56213B-A6BD-4311-9AE3-00637B17E5F0.jpeg

So wasted I had to buy an emergency replacement to get home 🫢. At least I’m on my way to having a nice set of “rain” tires, backups… I definitely need more clearance and ability to adjust the height with this square 275/35-18 setup. Was going faster/quicker around the track this last trip.

Last edited:

krumpir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
I do have the SPL rear toe arms with eccentric lockouts 👍🏼. You and @Evolution suggest I order spring? I have the OEM ones and the too low Eibachs on right now. Any links y’all recommend to order the springs? I’m saving this thread for my awesome mechanic and really appreciate y’all’s input 😃
So wasted I had to buy an emergency replacement to get home 🫢. At least I’m on my way to having a nice set of “rain” tires, spares, backups, you name it… Hence my wife is looking at buying a truck (bronco) or I’ll get a little track trailer from Harbor Freight to tow some track goodies, such as tires. Guess going faster around the track finally got me to this state. I went a whole 3 seconds quicker than my last trip to Homestead. Push her much harder. I definitely need more clearance and ability to adjust the height with this square 275/35-18 setup.

Thank you soooooooo much!!!!! I’ll ask my mechanic if he knows a machine shop that can do this.
I worked with Barry from 3DM Motorsports to get the Ohlins, springs, etc. I have the part numbers I used a few pages earlier in the thread. Im not sure what the difference in height is between Verus camber plates and Vorshlag camber plates, but if they are the same then I would get the Swift replacement springs.

I went up in spring rate slightly (<25% from stock Ohlin), but stayed under 25% per Barry's recommendation because then he would need to revalve the damper for the new spring rate. He mentioned that the springs would still play nicely with the Ohlin damper's stock valving if I stayed below that threshold. Riding with the Ohlins set at 10 all-around and 15 all around I can say that it drives great on both configs (15 all around for DD), also nice to know there is full preload on the car.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I worked with Barry from 3DM Motorsports to get the Ohlins, springs, etc. I have the part numbers I used a few pages earlier in the thread. Im not sure what the difference in height is between Verus camber plates and Vorshlag camber plates, but if they are the same then I would get the Swift replacement springs.

I went up in spring rate slightly (<25% from stock Ohlin), but stayed under 25% per Barry's recommendation because then he would need to revalve the damper for the new spring rate. He mentioned that the springs would still play nicely with the Ohlin damper's stock valving if I stayed below that threshold. Riding with the Ohlins set at 10 all-around and 15 all around I can say that it drives great on both configs (15 all around for DD), also nice to know there is full preload on the car.
Awesome! My main concern is driving at high speed on track. I was getting decent rub during compression over 110+mph at Homestead. I’d prefer to run over the rumbles for a better arc and tracking out. Using the springs that come with the Ohlins aren’t the best option?

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As long as he doesnt slam the thing, he will end up having just a hair of preload on the front springs with the Verus plates. This is as low as you can go on the Verus plates while still having preload.... Its like 1/2-3/4" lower than stock.

20230205_170057.jpg

Also, I will second getting the rear toe arms with the eccentric lockouts.
Your car looks so sick 🤤😍 Are you on an 18 square setup? And if so, which springs did you go with? Thx @Evolution

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yep 18x11 square on 315s. Stock Ohlin springs.
This is exactly what I’m looking for! So excited to get em out on and possibly keeping my current camber plates. Thx brother! 🙏🏼

Last edited:
OP
OP

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW & Toyota
@Evolution what front splitter are you running?
That looks like one that will actually work and not for show!
Sponsored