One of your BMW cousin's would like some advice

Zem

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M240ix
Greetings! I have a 2022 M240i. As this is probably one of the least-sold Gen 2 B58 platform on the planet other than the Morgan Plus Six, I figured I would ask one of the MOST-sold platforms (Mk5 Supra) for advice. You guys seem to have more experience than just about anybody with this platform.

Basically....where do I go from here? What would YOU do? Any areas where you feel I am mistaken or not thinking correctly? I appreciate any feedback. 90% of all the "M240i" searches are about the previous generation cars that have the Gen 1 B58. I have a Gen 2 B58. The M340i and M440i share the same basic platform as the M240i now, but the enthusiast community for both of those are TINY compared to you guys. So any advice is appreciated!

So if you have a sec and want to chime in, go right ahead! I'll give you my information and goals. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Current State of the car:
  • 2022 M240i with all options except the M-color door lighting.
  • B58TU engine with the ZF 8HP 8-speed
  • JB4 running MAP 4/5 on E30
  • AA Catted DP
  • Dinan Intake (sounds nice. waste of money. lol)
  • FTP Charge Pipe
  • xHP Stage 3 TCU Flash
  • Fuel-IT Ethanol Sensor
  • Easy access to 93 octane, and access to E85 which I have used for the last year.
  • All Wheel Drive
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's all around. Staggered Setup

Limitations, Goals and Usage:
Locked ECU. Daily Driver. Some Drag Use. This is a fun daily driver that will see very limited track use, and some semi-regular drag use. Drivability is important to me. My goals for the next few years before I go the Femto route are to top out around 600-650whp in order to stay within the limits of the trans for now. Once I am out of warranty, I can Femto the car and build the trans. This thread is about what I can do to make the next 2-3 years more fun :)

My Current thoughts? Please tell me if you disagree with any of this:

• Since I am going to need more fuel to turn the boost up farther, I am picking up the Wagner or CSF Intake Manifolds. This gets me port injection through a fuel rail as well as WMI/NOS options pre-plumbed. So that is where I want to start
What I am having trouble finding good information about are the next steps that I can take WITHOUT unlock
  • Should I stick with the JB4? Is there another option?
  • Should I get the JB4 PI controller? Or should I get one of the Reflex boxes?
  • Can I run a Reflex with the JB4 and no flash tune?
  • What about Meth Injection? Would you do port WMI or port E85 first?
  • If you would go port WMI (with a CPI nozzle as well for IATs), would you use the JB4 WMI controller or another one?
  • Would you run both? (I have easy local access to E85, as well as VP fuels and can easily mix my own 50/50 WMI if needed
Thanks in advance! Love reading the forums so far!
Sponsored

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
There is nothing more to do for you on Jb4 safely, personally, I wouldn't even be running any E blends with jb4. Your next step is to send ECU to Femto, if you want to be around the 650 wheel mark ( this is already putting considerable stress on the trans) you will need to go with a hybrid turbo setup. You can go top mount as well but at any power level that is safe to the trans, top mount will be pretty laggy down low, and a hybrid may better suit your needs. If you don't want to go upgraded turbo, a good e50 map with put you around 500 wheel hp and around 600 wheel tq.
Doing any of the mods you mentioned are going to be pretty pointless on a jb4 car, while you can run meth on jb4, I would also advice against it. Doing a manifold at this point would also be pretty useless for you.

TLDR- No, you are beyond maxed out on Jb4, you need to unlock before doing anything else.

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
These two nailed it.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
Proper ECU tune will make a night and day difference over the piggyback. Plus your warranty is voided regardless anyways now BMW can detect the piggyback if they look into the ECU even if you remove it physically. Just send that DME to Femto and enjoy brother

OP
OP
Zem

Zem

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M240ix
Perfect. That is what I wanted. The BMW guys really seem to trust the JB4, but that has always seemed terrifying to me since I come from the flash tune world on my previous B58 (Gen 1).

Ok....so I guess I need to wait until I am ready to do Femto. Might do it this year after all. Thanks! In the meantime I'll back off my existing setup for safety. Thanks again for the swift and informative responses!

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
There's nothing wrong with the jb4
It has its place. But you should just unlock the ecu and get a real tune.

Do not push to hard on the jb4. You will regret it.

Reactions: zrk

Turcktech

First Name
Esat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 supra
Out of curiosity having flex fuel kit does it make any difference if your ecu is locked? I thought unlocking the ecu is first step before changing your fuel system.

OP
OP
Zem

Zem

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M240ix
E85 still helps with piggybacks. As you add boost with a JB4 or other piggyback, running some E85 in the tank helps guard against detonation and allows the DME to avoid pulling timing and therefore more power. There are limits to this of course....which I believe I have managed to reach. Time for an ECU unlock for me. I had hoped I could go further....but alas I trust too many people here to ignore them.

ECU unlock allows a true flex fuel tuning solution that can adjust based on the amount of E85 as well as managing a wide array of other fueling enhancements. However E85 has it's place with both flash and piggyback tuning so long as it is used correctly.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Only way you're making more power than you are with the JB4 is to go WMI. And yes, it is a pretty drastic power jump.

I've never gotten someone setup on Meth before so Jesse is probably your guy

OP
OP
Zem

Zem

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M240ix
@Kolme , @zrk , @ColonelAdama : Thanks! That is a good idea. I have ordered a Jesse tune for the time being. As for WMI, since I have already decided to go Femto, I am going to hold for the moment.

After the early feedback in this thread, I was actually all ready to just pull the trigger on Femto. HOWEVER... it is proving a LOT harder than expected to find a local tuner to do an Ecutek or BM3 tune. Seems like the majority don't want to touch the car because they aren't familiar with the series. I know a lot of guys in the drag/NHRA scene down here, and there is not a shortage of tuners...but so far none of them wants to touch it because they have never done one before.

Until I find a local tuner that will be willing to work with me, I have to hold off on Femto.

ON THAT NOTE: If anyone knows any tuners in the Louisville, KY area (Louisville preferred, but Cincinnati, Indianapolis, & Nashville are possible) that are able to Ecutek/BM3 tune a BMW G42 B58TU1 that has been Femto unlocked AND have access to an AWD dyno....I am all ears :).
Sponsored