Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
  • Banned
New to the forum today. the plan is to purchase new Supra in about 10 months. The 3.0 is well known in both 20 and 21 MY's but now, the 2.0 version is out. i have looked at both at one of my local dealers but no test drive yet. Question? Be brutally honest if need be......

besides the main obvious (255 vs. 382)HP, If you currently own the 3.0, would you have even considered the 2.0 had it been out and is the 3.0 (even the 20my) just that much better to not even consider the 2.0? My Money will be riding on this......

Thanks up front.
Sponsored

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I got my car when this wasn't even a consideration, Oct 2019, but if 2.0 was an option at the time .. I wouldn't even look at it. I don't see the point in a 4 cyl besides for export market(s).

If money allows for both options, I'd pick the 3.0 every time. If money was an issue, I would probably not be considering a car that can only be used 3/4 of the time (this is of course location/weather dependent).

:dunno:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I've driven both a fair bit. Get the 3.0. If the 2.0 had an LSD and was a bit cheaper, I'd say it was a viable option. It's got enough grunt, and the lighter weight really makes the chassis so much more playful, but without an LSD (and a shorter FD) it has too many shortcomings for the price.

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
2.0 If you want to have food in the fridge.

3.0 If you want to eat cup of noodles everyday.

I kid of course lol. If Iā€™m being honest, thereā€™s nothing like the inline 6. If youā€™re going to get a Supra, go with the big boy engine. The 2.0, from videos and reviews, seems like a pretty good sports car with enough power to get you into trouble; however, value wise, I think itā€™s overpriced.

Be patient and you can get a great price on a 3.0 Supra for just a few grand more over a 2.0ā€™s MSRP. Good luck and happy hunting.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Lack of electronic damping and an LSD on the 2.0 is a fairly important limitation. Read the reviews of both. The 2.0 has a pretty stiff ride; they had to compromise on that without the adjustable suspension. Also, the ZF 8-speed was geared for the 3.0. Most reviewers will state that the 2.0 runs out of torque with the current transmission above 5000 rpm.

Now, if the 2.0 had a manual, that would rebalance these decisions. It may very well get a manual next year; the Z4 already offers this as an option on the 2.0 in the EU market.

Last edited:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Wait till the MY22 models are unveiled. I'm betting the next Limited Edition will be a 2.0 possibly with a manual.
I've never driven a 2.0 Supra so I can't comment on how it drives.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
As many have said here there is a bit more of a difference than just it being a different engine.

Off the top of my head some of the differences are

- no LSD
- 18' Wheels
- no adaptive suspension
- no brembo brakes

You also have to realize that the 2.0 will handle differently than the 3.0 The engine being shorter means it sits differently in the car. The way the car is setup, the 2.0 actually is technically considered a mid-front engine car which comes with slightly different weight characteristics.

The suspension being non adaptive means its tuned to handle both daily driving as well as trying to be stiff enough for spirited drives.

None of this means the 2.0 is a bad car though, if any many people believe the 2.0 is the better tuner car. More room in the engine bay means more room for other mods and bigger turbo's. The B54 engine is in itself also a solid engine and with a tune can push out some good power as well. Non adaptive suspension also means you dont lose anything by switching to coilovers. No brembos means more wheel choices since the brake calipers are smaller.

The 2.0 for me is the turbo 86 that everyone wanted. It has a shorter wheelbase than the current gen brz/86 by about 4" which means turn in will be better and steering will be sharper, its aftermarket is going to be massive in a few more years and the amount of money people throw into their 86 to turbo it is about equal to how much more the car is compared to a new 86.

Now to answer your other question, i bought my A91 only a week and a half ago and saw a 2.0 at the same dealership i bought my Supra at. So no, i would not buy nor did i even consider the 2.0. But thats largley because all the stuff the 3.0 offered i wanted. I was looking for a fun DD that i could also take to the track. Having the 3.0 saves me money on mods i would have put in the 2.0 anyways and the A91 edition i bought only comes with the blue so there was also that.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Does anyone here even own a 4 banger? I'm curious of how many they have sold so far.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
max - I would have considered the 2.0L if that came in manual. But in my case it would be in addition to my 3.0L.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
I just bought a 3.0, and wouldnā€™t trade it for the world. Some people are saying the 2.0 could be better for auto cross, which I love. I read that the 2.0 runs out of steam up top, which is a turn off for me. I love cars that pull hard up top.