Ordering Process For New Supra

Are you planning on buying a first year model?

• Yes, I can't wait any longer. Also willing to pay dealer markups.

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • No, I'll wait for the bugs to be worked out & the hype / markups to die down.

Votes: 57 78.1%

• Total voters

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I talked to the GM at a nearby dealer about 3 months ago about putting my name down, he said he wouldn't consider it until the car had been officially announced. I'll check again once the concept is shown, try other dealers too.
Sponsored

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Probably will skip on the first ones that come out. I learned the hard way (Scion FRS) not to be the first one to jump on the first orders. Lol
Certainly the prudent approach. Hell, even with the normally reliable MX-5, it's taken Mazda over 2 years and 4 transmission revisions to solve a nasty problem of grenading manual trannies in the ND. IIRC the twins did not have any issues nearly as significant in their first year - the biggest complaints were engine crickets and misting rear lights. Caveat emptor.

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
Certainly the prudent approach. Hell, even with the normally reliable MX-5, it's taken Mazda over 2 years and 4 transmission revisions to solve a nasty problem of grenading manual trannies in the ND. IIRC the twins did not have any issues nearly as significant in their first year - the biggest complaints were engine crickets and misting rear lights. Caveat emptor.
I had those issues and more! Had the fuel pump replaced, trunk wouldn't open at one point and interior rattle was terrible. All issues were fixed under warranty but I ended trading the car because I needed a daily. Good times.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
there is a frighteningly long list of shit that was wrong with the early FRS/BRZ, but yeah they ended up working nearly everything out after year 1, which is par for the course these days for newer models it seems.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
there is a frighteningly long list of shit that was wrong with the early FRS/BRZ, but yeah they ended up working nearly everything out after year 1, which is par for the course these days for newer models it seems.
there was? most of the complaints/issues were over very minor things like interior rattles, panels not aligning, taillights fogging, etc..the few "major" issues (fuel pump, trans) were very sporadic and should have all been quickly fixed by tsbs.. my first FRS was built around summer 2012 and it had no issues for 60 K miles.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
sporadic doesn't mean non existent, but there was the DI seals thing, the cam gear seizing, the fuel pump, and I'm probably forgetting one or two more.

I'm not hating on the car, I'm just saying new cars have issues... as you said, I believe most of those things if not all have been corrected.

EDIT: yeah, trans issues was the other thing (there were several different problems within that general umbrella)

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
I had a very early FRS and it was thr massive amount of small things that drove me crazy about the car. It was a fun car but i only kept mine about 2 years

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah, everyone buying the first model year, make sure you come into it ready to have to take it in for a fair few warranty repairs. Both my FRS and my BRZ were early production cars and I've been very lucky to not have many problems, but the FRS did need a replacement axle once under warranty, but considering how much I drifted it, I'd say that worked out well for me. Other than that, not much other than some leaky weather seals and occasional rattles. I'd say with BMW making a lot of the small cabin stuff, expect a few things to not work here and there. Fingers crossed it's not another E90 335i.... :popcorn:

Mr.Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
soup
Nice that where I'm located. What dealership took this order for you? I called around and haven't been able to place my name down for anything.

Nice to see a local on the forums as well

I had those issues and more! Had the fuel pump replaced, trunk wouldn't open at one point and interior rattle was terrible. All issues were fixed under warranty but I ended trading the car because I needed a daily. Good times.

Completely agree with you. I bought one of the first ones in BC with a real early build date and the two years I owned it had multiple issues. My FRS felt more like a 90s car than my Supra with all the odd rattles and issues it had.

Last edited:

Sammy82

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'99 Subaru sti
Looks like I will wait another 2-3 years before buying it so they sort shit out by then. By then who knows what other cars will be on offer...

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
Nice that where I'm located. What dealership took this order for you? I called around and haven't been able to place my name down for anything.

Nice to see a local on the forums as well

Completely agree with you. I bought one of the first ones in BC with a real early build date and the two years I owned it had multiple issues. My FRS felt more like a 90s car than my Supra with all the odd rattles and issues it had.
That's how I felt! Like I just paid 25K for a 90's car.
Sponsored