Ordering Process For New Supra

Are you planning on buying a first year model?

• Yes, I can't wait any longer. Also willing to pay dealer markups.

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • No, I'll wait for the bugs to be worked out & the hype / markups to die down.

Votes: 57 78.1%

• Total voters

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
That's fine, if you can get a good deal, I'll fly up as well, and do the deal. Go ahead and tell them need 2 white with red leather :D:D
White, red leather and manual trans.. I’m good to go. :)
Sponsored

dshandy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Chevy Camaro SS, 2014 Audi A5
That's fine, if you can get a good deal, I'll fly up as well, and do the deal. Go ahead and tell them need 2 white with red leather :D:D
Make that 3 white with red leather:D I can't wait to finally spec it out! Realistically though, when the time comes around, will we be able to order one pretty easily or will I have to get a deposit down in advance?

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Make that 3 white with red leather:D I can't wait to finally spec it out! Realistically though, when the time comes around, will we be able to order one pretty easily or will I have to get a deposit down in advance?
Just wait till about fall next year for the market to saturate..

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Question is will the market saturate with this car?

Maybe for the boring automatic spec but on a manual light spec idk how available those will be.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
First couple of years will almost always be your highest selling years, then will go up again when a higher end of that vehicle comes out. Dealers will know demand for the car out the gate, so finding one at MSRP will be a fun search, unless you know someone. Then people will either sell/trade their purchase after a few months of owning it, thinking there is something better, or doesnt fit them like they thought it would, or just cant afford the car.

My biggest issue with Toyota and Lexus of late, has been the tuneability of the ECU. I really believe if the ECU was tuneable or there was a EMS that could write over the stock ECU or replace it. That the potential of these motors could see a lot of aftermarket support. The F-series is hurting from that. If the Supra came the same way, it would definitely be DOA.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Question is will the market saturate with this car?

Maybe for the boring automatic spec but on a manual light spec idk how available those will be.
At one point I expect you to start accepting that there will be no manual. This is reality. Accept it.

If the 500hp, 85k Super car slaying GTR market saturated in 2.5yrs after initial offering.. I have no doubt that a 330hp 60k car will be saturated in the market at a much quicker rate.

FirstStateCamber

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 MKIV Supra, 09' 997.1TT, 15' Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
You can make it 4x, haha!

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
At one point I expect you to start accepting that there will be no manual. This is reality. Accept it.

If the 500hp, 85k Super car slaying GTR market saturated in 2.5yrs after initial offering.. I have no doubt that a 330hp 60k car will be saturated in the market at a much quicker rate.
NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.. Toyota will pull something out the bag at some point.

330 HP 60K, i still don't know whos buying that...

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.. Toyota will pull something out the bag at some point.

330 HP 60K, i still don't know whos buying that...
Not sure.. but Toyota will cash in on the name in the first 1/2yr at least. Then they’ll be parking lot anchors for sure. This will probably go down like the NSX .. 200k for a complicated 573hp.

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
My biggest issue with Toyota and Lexus of late, has been the tuneability of the ECU. I really believe if the ECU was tuneable or there was a EMS that could write over the stock ECU or replace it. That the potential of these motors could see a lot of aftermarket support. The F-series is hurting from that. If the Supra came the same way, it would definitely be DOA.
The USDM Lexus ECUs had finally become tunable as of 2016. There are several ISF/RCF/GSF owners with tuned supercharger kits making over 550-600+ RWHP.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
The USDM Lexus ECUs had finally become tunable as of 2016. There are several ISF/RCF/GSF owners with tuned supercharger kits making over 550-600+ RWHP.

Yeah RR Racing has done great work on that platform, the problem is just that it took over a decade, not to say that that's of any fault of theirs, but rather just a result of the market. Not to mention that the CANBUS systems in cars today is far more expansive and complex than that of the ISF. I think we'll be hoping for a hail mary from Tada-san in terms of making tuners lives easy.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah RR Racing has done great work on that platform, the problem is just that it took over a decade, not to say that that's of any fault of theirs, but rather just a result of the market. Not to mention that the CANBUS systems in cars today is far more expansive and complex than that of the ISF. I think we'll be hoping for a hail mary from Tada-san in terms of making tuners lives easy.
They following in Toyotas footsteps with releasing their ecu tuning lol. From my understanding the GTR was supposed to be a locked type of ECU and somehow the key got leaked. Think HKS had it and then somehow ended up with Cobb. That's when the market and tuning really blew up for the GTR. Maybe we can hope for an ECU that's tuneable and dont have to get motec/syvecs/pectel.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
I think we'll be hoping for a hail mary from Tada-san in terms of making tuners lives easy.
Amen. This is critical. "Easy" ECU access is one of the reasons some cars are so popular for modding: Subaru/RomRaider, Mitsubishi/EcuFlash, Honda/Hondata, just to mention a few, allow for significant modifications without going to the cost and complexity of a standalone ECU.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I was thinking about it, and I wonder if the reason the car has some older tech (some posters were saying a generation behind) is because they used an older ECU architecture that has had more time to mature in the aftermarket.

Pure conjecture here, but I'm curious. This is something I have little knowledge of as it has been kept under wraps.

AZSupra

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTI
I was thinking about it, and I wonder if the reason the car has some older tech (some posters were saying a generation behind) is because they used an older ECU architecture that has had more time to mature in the aftermarket.

Pure conjecture here, but I'm curious. This is something I have little knowledge of as it has been kept under wraps.
This can not be underestimated for tuning. The MQB platform (VW and Audi) are one of the most popular and arguably the best for the money in the game right now. Interesting to note - The new RS3 has a less complicated ECU than a 2015 GTI. Where as something like a BMW is pretty much impossible to OBD flash, which is why we see the piggyback JB4 running the tuning game.

Sending off the ECU is a major PITA. Hoping for a COBB type solution is going to be the major hope for this platform
Sponsored