Owning a Supra with small kid(s)

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
Hey guys. This is the year I'm planning to pull the trigger on a new Supra. However life changes and we now have an almost 1 year old. And I am wondering if anyone else is in the same situation.

Obviously a supra isn't a practical car to own with a baby. We all can't go out together first and foremost. But I do also have a 2020 4runner and an F150 so although it's impractical, the desire to own one is strong. I have looked at other sports cars that have a back seat but aside from a 997 there isn't much that would fit the bill. I am just concerned how much I will actually get to use it

Has anyone put a forward facing car seat in the passenger seat? If so. What model, how does it fit etc. I really want to introduce my kid to cars at a young age. So I think it would be awesome to take them cruising in the Supra a couple years down the line.

Has anyone bought one with a small child and regret owning it?
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Those are the exact criterion that somewhat forced me to sell the Supra...
Mostly my scared of speeds, it's our first child, no space for me in the car, no isofix, her neck isn't developed, you'll scar the kid, wife brainwashing me and me having sold all other cars at that point per good used market + not needing to renew the lease on wife's SUV per not driving and winter coming thus needing a winter car..

Where it kindda made sense was per covid my car baby was at 6K miles after 2 yrs of ownership. Then got wife a lease, myself any SUV could have done.. but reality was how much will i drive the Supra with already 2, a lot more practical cars especially in Michigan. This was already the case when I had the Supra for ~1.5 years. Wasn't too much room for Supra. Could have kept it and not have lost a hobby and part of my will to live. Lol.
Our baby is 8mo old. During this time went through lots of emotions. I'm on daycare dropoff and pickup duty. Could have easily done that with the Supra, yet to your question I don't think there is isofix on passenger seat, yet our car seat works with just seat belts, yet still not recommended facing forward at that age.

Anyhow, put your kid in the front at your own risk. I'm sure if you put it all the way back, facing forward, shoes, scratches will be minimal. Can't comment on puking 🤮 per your driving style and if you need to feed, then you'll put her stuff on the passenger mat.

In addition, inserting and removing the car seat will be hassle when a buddy or wife, gf, wants to hop in. You'll be like ok let me remove that whole thing.
Also, will you get additional car seat or share it with other cars. Well, you'll have to be at crossroads. Honey can't pickup rhe kid, forgot the seat in 4runner...

We have Cybex Cloud Q. Rear facing up to 18mo, 35lbs. Similar specs to others.
Next will be Sirona S which still has a load base and can accommodate front & rear facing.. I think certainly can be used on Supra front seat...

Can I put a car seat in the front seat of a car?
The safest place for an car seat is on the rear seat behind the front passenger seat. If there is no other option than placing it on the front passenger seat, be sure to deactivate the airbag if you are using a rear-facing car seat. For other types of car seats check the user manuals of both your car seat and your vehicle to find out if you should deactivate the airbag
EasyLock™ Bar & One Time Vehicle Belt Installation
EasyLock™ Bar reduces force needed up to 4x for quick, simple and secure installation. Only Convertible Car Seat in North America with a one-time vehicle belt installation for both rear-facing and forward-facing mode
https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/car-seats-and-booster-seats

Last edited:

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/baby-seat-new-born-car-seat-in-the-supra.3135/

Thread above discusses car seats in the Supra. It can be done, but if you already have another 4 door, just haul your soon to be toddler in the backseat in one of those. Just from a safety perspective, it’s always safest to have young children in backseats.

Also from my personal experience, my 2 year old twins track sand, mud, dirt everywhere… also they’re still in diapers so always the risk of having to literally deal with shit in the car (joys of effing parenthood)…. But for various reasons, I personally wouldn’t travel with a young infant/toddler in the Supra. Got an older fun car/beater with back seats that these little monsters can ruin.

shownfu

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
If you have a family of 3+ then the Supra is a third car. Purely just for fun when you go somewhere by yourself, or occasional date night if someone can watch the kid. It wouldn't be a car with a car seat doing daily duties, it's just too small and impractical.

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
If you have a family of 3+ then the Supra is a third car. Purely just for fun when you go somewhere by yourself, or occasional date night if someone can watch the kid. It wouldn't be a car with a car seat doing daily duties, it's just too small and impractical.
I would piggy back on this and say I wouldn’t put a car seat in the Supra. Keep the car seats in other vehicles. Getting in and out of the car isn’t easy for adults I can see the door sills getting destroyed they are wide to fit the car design and kids will climb and scratch them up. Our kids are grown so we know very well what kids wear and tear on vehicles are, even if they are well behaved. Kids are clumsy and do things unintentionally. Keep kids clear of the Supra other than taking them for rides when they no longer need a car seat. The Supra is super impractical and that’s one of the things I love about it.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
I don't have kids but many people I know do or watch them. The safety of the compartment is to notch and should keep you and your child safe in the event of an accident (go check the salvaged supra thread if you need evidence). However, there are no latch points in the car and you'll have a nightmare of a time getting kids in and out. You've already got 2 other perfectly practical vehicles to use for daily duties. Probably the closest you might get is a booster seat but that's probably another 7-9 years away.

Honestly I'm pretty sure that other sports cars with back seats also weren't designed for car seats. Just small children who are old enough to sit in the car or are in booster seats.

That's just my opinion.

Foogazzi

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0MT Supra
I have a 7 and 9 year old until your children are tall enough an d weigh enough I would NOT consider a Supra. We have an Outback as a family runner. Booster seat and a 9 year allows for the occasional ride to the store. year old will just have to wait until she is older to do the same

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
There's lots of leg room on the passenger side. Can prob tuck them in there!

Last edited:

eqi

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Egis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra
I use supra daily to drive my 9 year old kid (155cm height, overgrown monkey :D ) to school. For family trips we use wifes Lexus NX.
Family shot:

582C2466-1E27-4BDB-A4AF-A296A15BDDE8.jpeg

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
Have a Supra with a 5 month old. If the child is going somewhere, we take the family car. Otherwise, I take the Supra whenever I can.

Your concerns about not being able to drive it as much is valid. I’ve shared this with another member, but also consider that no matter the car you’re driving, you’re likely not driving very spirited with a kid in the car, so kind of doesn’t matter if you have a special sports/sporty car if you’re hauling kids.

Unless you’re a fast-car-slow kind of person, I guess. (I am not.)

With a child, consider your Supra a toy. That’s all it is. If that toy is able to be used for a personal commute or errand, that’s a win for the day.

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
I have 5 kids total, one out of the house, two others that have their own cars and a 11 and 8 year old. Little ones love dad time in the Supra and enjoy being out in the garage when there is a new mod to put in it. The wife an I use it for date nights and weekend get aways, where she likes to go see new places and I like to drive the back roads to get to and through them. This year my 11 year old is more into cars so we will probably be hitting cars and coffee and things like that. We also have a Tundra crew cab which is my work truck and the wifes ride is. Lexus GX470 which is used for family outings and trips. In December I was looking at trading in and getting an F80 just to have 4 doors but the timing wasn't right and it didn't feel right... So just depends on your needs. If you have other vehicles then I say its a go, but I bought mine without asking permission....took me almost a year before the wife rode in it.....not saying thats a bad thing :cool:

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I take my 4 year old everywhere in the Supra. It's by far his favorite car out of all the ones I own. He has actually been riding around in it with me since he was 2. I say go for it!

IdontTrack

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I’ve got 3 little ones and only get to drive the Supra on Fridays to and from work because it’s the only day I don’t have daycare drop off. I also do post bedtime groceries and use it on weekends if I only have to take one kid. My 5 year old loves it. So yeah, it’s impractical and it would be nice to drive it more, but just pull the trigger and enjoy it when you can, while you can.
Sponsored