Parking Assistance Malfunction [side protection]

ViperTwo4

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra GR 3.0
I recently added the Verus engineering turbo heat shield, blackvue external dashcam battery, and coded some things using bimmercode on my 2022 3.0 Supra. But after I was done with everything when I put the car in reverse it threw an error code of "parking assistance malfunction, side protection". I disconnected the battery and waited 30 minutes and then the error was gone but the sides of my car when in reverse are blacked out still.

Only when I come into close proximity with something on my sides they appear, with no beeping. Unlike the front where it works and makes sounds.

• checked the fuses, thinking that I messed something up, but even with the external battery removed and put back to stock it still would do the same thing.
  • cleared codes, if there were any, using an OBD scanner and still it does this thing.
  • even disconnected the battery for 30 minutes.

But nothing worked to fix this fully, does anyone know how to fix this? No tune on the car. I used bimmercode to remove the active sound and change the start-up animation.
Sponsored

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'm going to state the obvious again. You've added 2 things. Remove them one by one and see if it resolves it. also check for anything loose in the surroundings of those.

OP
OP
ViperTwo4

ViperTwo4

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra GR 3.0
I'm going to state the obvious again. You've added 2 things. Remove them one by one and see if it resolves it. also check for anything loose in the surroundings of those.

Yep, removed the two things already and tested it. Still no change. I did read the other threads and idk if it's just a software bug that presented itself once I bimmercoded stuff.

Eplejus

First Name
Morten
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 Supra 3.0 Premium
I had the same issue after I disconnected the battery in order to remove the DME.
After firing up the car again, same error code came up.

I did the same as you, cleared the codes and disconnected the battery again for 30 min, but this didn't solve the problem.

The solution was surprisingly easy. Drove the car around the block and the error code cleared itself after a minute of driving.

OP
OP
ViperTwo4

ViperTwo4

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra GR 3.0
I had the same issue after I disconnected my battery in order to remove the DME.

I did the same as you, cleared the codes and disconnected the battery again for 30 min, but this didn't solve the problem.

The solution was suprisingly easy. Drove the car around the block and the error code cleared itself after a minute of driving.

I low-key feel like I am going insane. The side censors should beep if something comes close when parking right? Or, is that only in regard to the front and back sensors?

Eplejus

First Name
Morten
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I low-key feel like I am going insane. The side censors should beep if something comes close when parking right? Or, is that only in regard to the front and back sensors?
Mine was beeping like crazy, even when objects was several feet away.
And always after putting it in reverse.

But after a quick drive, it stopped. It seems like it needed some sort of self-calibration.

OP
OP
ViperTwo4

ViperTwo4

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra GR 3.0
Mine was beeping like crazy, even when objects was several feet away.
And always after putting it in reverse.

But after a quick drive, it stopped. It seems like it needed some sort of self-calibration.
Do you know where the side sensors are located on the car?

Eplejus

First Name
Morten
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you know where the side sensors are located on the car?
I belive its the sensors that are located on the sides of the front and rear bumper.
So not really a real side sensor, but more at an angle.

But I really can't tell for sure. On my daily driver they are located on the side mirrors, but I don't see that on the Supra.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
One thing I’ve learned with error messages is driving it around the block is the equivalent to, “Have you tried unplugging it for a few seconds?”

Janice

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ
Same thing happened to me yesterday. I drove off to get gas and it went away within minutes of driving.

OP
OP
ViperTwo4

ViperTwo4

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra GR 3.0
So when I drive around the sensors start showing up. It's when I am parked the side sensors are blacked out on the screen....has anyone ran into this?

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium (Nocturnal, Automatic)
I had the same issue after I disconnected the battery in order to remove the DME.

The solution was surprisingly easy. Drove the car around the block and the error code cleared itself after a minute of driving.
This is what I did yesterday after disconnecting and reconnecting my battery. It gave a malfunction and I just drove around and the system went back to normal

Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 MT - Stratosphere.
So when I drive around the sensors start showing up. It's when I am parked the side sensors are blacked out on the screen....has anyone ran into this?
Did you ever find a fix? Got coilovers installed and got a bunch of chasis and parking assistance codes. They went away but I'm still stuck with the side protection warning. My side sensors aren't picking anything up
Sponsored