PEEFREE's A90 Supra Build

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
5/5/2022 - Trans upgrade. More Tuning. DC Private Track Day.
lU0Eud.jpg

Anyways...Since our last outing with the extra power, we were running into some issues. Namely the fuel system still wasn't able to keep up and the trans was slipping.

To address these problems, we upgraded the transmission to a Pure Stage 1 and upped the fuel pump size.

This allowed us to bump the power from 400-500 to almost 700hp. The power level is based on what map we decide to run as well how much ethanol content is in the tank.

Once we were able to run the higher HP maps, the next problem we ran into had to do with the braking system. Despite the car already having upgraded BBK's on the front and rear, it felt as if the brakes were not sufficient in stopping the car.

To combat the brake problem, we changed out the rotors and switched to more aggressive CSG pads.

The mods included this time around were:

- upgraded fuel pump
- Pure Stage 1 Transmission
- New Rotors
- CSG Pads
- Tune courtesy of CSGarage and Zach

Result:

We were able to shave about 2 seconds off our best times at Thill. This was with me feeling a bit sick (was still recovering from a nasty flu).

The car has a lot more in it but at present I'm happy with the power delivery and how easy it is to drive fast.

Thoughts:

Never thought I'd own a car that could possibly do sub 50's at T-hill East but here we are.

The Supra is officially a monster.

Brakes are still a little iffy but I think it's just something that I need to get used to. This might also be attributed to the fact that we're hitting a lot higher speeds. (For example: Going down the straight was an indicated 153 mph which is more than 20 mph higher than my previous bests.)

Power delivery is extremely smooth (thanks again Zach!) and the transmission a long with everything else feels almost stock. You wouldn't be able to tell the car pushes out almost double the power unless you were hauling ass on track.

At this point, I'd like to have the tune dialed in a bit more. It would also be nice to have a bit more grip which I think we can achieve via some wider wheels / tires.

Pictures:
Damn, hauling now. So what was your actual new time? 1:52? No video?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2021 Toyota Sienna
Damn, hauling now. So what was your actual new time? 1:52? No video?
I did a 1.56. No video. I wasn't feeling all that well (physically) so I honestly wasn't expecting to pb.

I think if my buddy, Gary, was driving we might have a sub 50.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08/06/2023: Finally got to take it to the track again.

Been a long time since I've had the opportunity to take her on track because well... I guess my life has been kind of crazy. But hey, we're not here to talk about that. We're here to talk about the car.

Mods since we went out last time:

- Fixed fueling issue
- Installed Recaro podiums
- Installed Willans 6 point harness

Next up:
- Removing all the SPL stuff and installing all verkline subframe / suspension components
- Oil cooler kit

Took her out to Laguna yesterday on 08/06/23. She doesn't really have any fueling issues anymore but with the additional power, the car is overheating again. Trying to work with Doteki right now to see if we can get a oil cooler kit going to help keep things cool.

Aside from that, the car is just stupid fast. I ran OP2 and basically got stuck in traffic doing 1.40 flat all day. Buddy ran OP1 and did a 1.32 with traffic. So... sub 29's is definitely possible. Just nuts that sub 40's used to be fast and these days, sub 30s is within reach.

AJH6HD.jpg

rqCmC4.jpg

e0hjLH.jpg

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Took her out to Laguna yesterday on 08/06/23. She doesn't really have any fueling issues anymore but with the additional power, the car is overheating again. Trying to work with Doteki right now to see if we can get a oil cooler kit going to help keep things cool.
What oil temps are you seeing?

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Always been a huge fan of your car! Nice to see an update.

I'm curious why are you moving to Verkline and away from SPL?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What oil temps are you seeing?
No idea. I need to reach out to my tuner about the data for that.

We just know it's overheating because it's pulling power.

Always been a huge fan of your car! Nice to see an update.

I'm curious why are you moving to Verkline and away from SPL?
Honestly, we're running out of mods to do on this car and wanted to try something new. The verkline stuff seems like an attractive option especially when they offer a full tubular subframe.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Honestly, we're running out of mods to do on this car and wanted to try something new. The verkline stuff seems like an attractive option especially when they offer a full tubular subframe.
Interesting. I'd be very curious to hear your feedback. I've got quite a bit of SPL in my car already, but their tubular rear subframe is sexy.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Still no rear sway? What final spring rates U running? Post pics of Podiums ;)

We have a rear sway bar in there.

Current spring rates are 700/800. Please note that we are running a MCS coilover system which is NOT a divorced coilover set up like many others. Also we will most likely end up changing these springs once we install the verkline system in there.

No pics of the podium. I'll try to snap some this weekend, assuming we can get the car buttoned up in time. If not, I just picked up a "back up" track car.

Pn5JxC.jpg

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
We have a rear sway bar in there.

Current spring rates are 700/800. Please note that we are running a MCS coilover system which is NOT a divorced coilover set up like many others. Also we will most likely end up changing these springs once we install the verkline system in there.

No pics of the podium. I'll try to snap some this weekend, assuming we can get the car buttoned up in time. If not, I just picked up a "back up" track car.

Pn5JxC.jpg
Congrats, big time. Is it Z07 equipped? Trying to tell from the aero but I only dared to dream of a Z06. I had a deposit done to order a Z51 and got super familiar with telling apart base C8 options just on appearance but never really got into playing around with the Z06 configuration because it just felt unobtainable on several levels.

I'm curious how you think the Z06 will compare to the Supra in terms of lap times. I know it's apples to oranges at this point but still would love to hear your impressions.

Also, I flipped through and may have missed it but you have an Akrapovic exhaust listed on the mod list. How do you like it? If I buy an exhaust I want to go all in on something like that but am wondering if it's worth the premium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Congrats, big time. Is it Z07 equipped? Trying to tell from the aero but I only dared to dream of a Z06. I had a deposit done to order a Z51 and got super familiar with telling apart base C8 options just on appearance but never really got into playing around with the Z06 configuration because it just felt unobtainable on several levels.

I'm curious how you think the Z06 will compare to the Supra in terms of lap times. I know it's apples to oranges at this point but still would love to hear your impressions.

Also, I flipped through and may have missed it but you have an Akrapovic exhaust listed on the mod list. How do you like it? If I buy an exhaust I want to go all in on something like that but am wondering if it's worth the premium.

Yeah it's a z07 equipped car. The wing and splitter combo is the main differentiator.

We ran the Z06 at Sonoma against the Supra back in September. It's a very, very different drive. They're almost opposites. (High revving N/A vs Single Turbo). The common denominator between them is that they're both high powered sport cars.

Supra did a 1.42 and the Z06 did a 1.46 with us holding back.

The Supra is still rocking the Akrapovic. I love it but I'm not sure if I would go this route if I were to do it again. You see, the main reason why we did was because the Akrapovic is extremely quiet. This is perfect for us as Laguna has a noise limit of 90 db. But if it wasn't for the noise limit, I think there are exhausts out there that would offer more bang for the buck.
Sponsored