poor service before I buy is this what to expect

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Hi All thanks for all the input having been in sales for 30+years it drive me mad that these guys don't seem to want to sell cars or may be the little old lady buying a yaris is easier. Since they let us down with the demo we are 24 hours later and not a peep out of them. Name and shame Steven Eagell In Aylesbury. I would have thought a apologyfrom the sales manager and a new day by now or a reason they have not been able to source one

So guys what cars equivalent do you think My choices are
Mustang
another 718 cayman
second hand vantage
i vote cayman too. The supra is a great car, but the dealers mostly don’t know how to manage owner’s expectations. And if the sales guy pissed you off, wait till you deal with after sales.
Sponsored

Hakiro09

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 500
I have booked a test drive for tomorrow, so sent an email this morning to double check. I received a reply and so far so good. Fingers crossed for tomorrow expecially as I'm buying two car at the same time from the same dealer (yairs and a supra).

nc_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Pro
I think it’s probably a one off experience, but I also have the feeling that Toyota doesn’t put so much into ensuring a uniformly good experience anywhere you are like Porsche does.

Before the Supra I had a Cayman, and it didn’t matter whether we went to Kendal, Glasgow, Newcastle, or even Zuffenhausen we got an excellent service.

As for the Supra, my test drive was at my local dealership (Lillyhall/Workington, also a GR Centre, for whatever that’s worth), and I was given the car for as long as I wanted that day. Both @Phil3 and @edz_supra bought theirs from the same dealership.
Prior to driving the Supra, I drove the A110 for an afternoon, and was left rather cold by it - I simply didn’t understand the hype when driving it, and was really put off by the car‘s electronics shutting off at some lights, requiring a restart. I moved on to looking for a used 991.1 or a 718 GTS 4.0, but ultimately couldn’t justify £20k just for an engine upgrade to the GTS from my base. I considered a Mustang for the time it took for me to sit in one, then dismissed it as feeling cheap and nasty on the inside. A TTRS was also on the cards , but my local Audi dealership ruined that idea.

Mine was serviced last May, with the dealership letting me know they’d got the specific Gazoo Racing oil in for the car and their Supra master technician would be doing the job. I think the cost was something around £300 (dirt cheap by Porsche standards!).

In the UK the Supra is incredibly rare. There’s around 400 of them, so it will feel special whenever you’re out in it. I’d also be cautious when reading dealership experiences online for the Supra as it seems the unhinged/unregulated US is a cesspit of terrible dealerships.

Hakiro09

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 500
Just a quick update on my test drive experience.
I'm happy to say that the car was at the dealer waiting for me and I was give the car for about 30mn(it was a busy day for the dealer). To the OP I highly recommend that you find another dealer and have a test drive(I really liked it lol)

Reactions: nc_

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
OP is here in the UK so choices for the same price bracket will vary hugely compared to different markets.
We won't even be getting the Nisan Z over here.

Had my recall software update done with no issues at all at my local dealership. Service is very good from them so far. Also got a test drive eventually locally however found a more helpful dealer who even offered an extended one. (place I bought from)

Depending on how long you intend to keep the car, 10 year warranty may help swing and 0% interest on a 2 year PCP.
I do love the Porsche but same spec like for like options wise is another price bracket.

If you do have bigger ÂŁ to spend then as already mentioned by someone the Lotus Emira is a good new competitor and more expensive. Although a little wait for them.

Still Toyota wont be Porsche level of quality/ service.

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Prior to the Supra I had a BMW in the UK. I found the sales experience pretty good. Was allowed multiple test drives, could haggle on price a bit, etc. When it came to actually buying that was slightly more of a pain - they weren't great at managing expectations of when it would arrive, but otherwise we're great. Very patient.

Aftercare so far I've not needed a service but the recall was fine, and they've been admirably handling investigating the speaker static hiss issue I have, going back and forth with Toyota technical. They do seem to only have one person per dealer who can work on the car, who doesn't necessarily know it well outside of the service manual, so this investigatory work is slow and requires multiple trips, but otherwise the experience has been perfectly fine. Certainly not "luxury" but broadly the same as when I used to own a BMW.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I’d also be cautious when reading dealership experiences online for the Supra as it seems the unhinged/unregulated US is a cesspit of terrible dealerships.
On the first part (unhinged) I can't argue at all... we were already an unhinged lot previously... and getting more so by the day now, it seems. On the unregulated side however, I would disagree completely. It's actually the over-regulation that's the problem... independent dealerships are prevented by regulation from competing with better service, allocation, etc.

It's kind of like your current situation with Boris and his Christmas parties... there's a ton of regulations preventing the "little guys" from doing anything - but virtually no accountability for those already at the top. :rolleyes:

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
As long as you don't look at it from the front. Luckily you can't really see that when driving it... and the interior looks phenomenal. ;)
I hear the driving experience is making up for the front look. NO car is perfect our own snout on the Supra can be an 'acquired taste' lol :)

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I hear the driving experience is making up for the front look. NO car is perfect our own snout on the Supra can be an 'acquired taste' lol :)
Very true... actually I'd say that about almost all of the styling choices made with the MKV (although I think the ass-end looks great). Similarly the driving experience makes up for that and it doesn't have nearly as refined an interior as the A110 does.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Very true... actually I'd say that about almost all of the styling choices made with the MKV (although I think the ass-end looks great). Similarly the driving experience makes up for that and it doesn't have nearly as refined an interior as the A110 does.
If you have not read this Top Gear online/print review - it does bring a smile as a package. With the Elise gone this would be a nice option in the USA. Not yet it appears. Too bad. More choice is needed in the USA.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/alpine/a110

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2015 Subaru Forester, 1994 S10 pickup
I've already had my say/criticisms about after sales customer support. But I'm not one to pass up a chance to describe my dealer service disappointment and " blow off" by being told " that's normal" when I hoped to get the steering wheel buzz fixed.
The service mgr I met with after I expressed disagreement with the techs disinterest in buying into the problem even said he had worked at Mercedes, Audi and BMW dealerships and wouldnt have any of those cars as they were over engineered and over complicated.
Then I worked up the Toyota tech chain and got no further- " Dealer techs are our eyes and ears and we rely on them..."
So I'm happy with my 2021 Premium except for too many gizmos and a lack of essential oil temp and pressure gauges. But if asked if I would repeat this buying experience I'd have to say no. In fact this has turned me off Toyota- to be treated a bother to be dismissed instead of making the car 100% a cording to the owners wishes who paid 57k- that's too much and there are other possibilites.

orvillesd

First Name
Orville
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2018 Civic Type R
My service experience with Toyota has been subpar. They once put the wrong size tire on the rear not realizing that it's a staggered setup. There are also not many supra techs which makes scheduling a hassle. I recently modded my Supra at an independent tuner shop, SD Garage, that specializes in BMW's and I'll be using them for the foreseeable future. I'd recommend looking into independent BMW shops if you can.

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My service experience with Toyota has been subpar. They once put the wrong size tire on the rear not realizing that it's a staggered setup. There are also not many supra techs which makes scheduling a hassle. I recently modded by Supra at a independent tuner shop, SD Garage, that specializes in BMW's and I'll using them for the foreseeable future. I'd recommend looking into independent shops if you can.
This. My experience at my local independent BMW shop has been fantastic. They mentioned when I was there that they handle a number of Supras, and were the epitome of professionalism and competence. Not bad considering they were also about 40% less than the dealership for everything I've had done there.

Regardless of which side of the pond you're on... Toyota dealerships should probably be your last resort ironically. :rolleyes: Even with warranty work, my shop said they would try to get Toyota to cover anything that fell under the warranty - with the obvious caveat that they couldn't guarantee that approval.
Sponsored