Pops and Bangs back on the 2023 MT cars?

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
This sounds a lot like the 2020 cars to me. Did Toyota make it a point to at least give the manual transmission cars a more aggressive exhaust sound?

Sponsored

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
This sounds a lot like the 2020 cars to me. Did Toyota make it a point to at least give the manual transmission cars a more aggressive exhaust sound?

The 2021+ cars sound like this. If you search some sound clips of the 2021+ cars it has the crackles if you rev the shit out of it in Sport mode. But it's nowhere near as obnoxious as the 2020 cars.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
It's not the best environment within which to judge the exhaust sound as compared to previous MKV Supras but it does sound good.

Though I won't be surprised if the production (not pre-production demo event cars) 6MT Supras get a slightly more quiet exhaust than their automatic siblings for exactly the same reasons the new Nissan Z 6MT models did: automatic vehicles are sound tested to noise regulation certification very differently than manual vehicles are such that the automatic version of the same vehicle has an easier time by effectively gaming the test.

But I do *hope* Toyota can keep the MKV 6MT's exhaust just as lively as before.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
That poor car - getting cold revved by every YouTube Automotive "Journalist".

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
That'll be awesome if so, considering recent reviews for the new Nissan Z note that the MT version has noticeably quieter exhaust due to some CA regulation.

Last edited:

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
Revving in neutral isn't the true exhaust note imo, a cars exhaust note is how it sounds under load. Our cars pop and bang by lifting the throttle at 12mph, but its hard to get it to pop and bang revving it, clearly there is a difference in fuel / boost. I'd like to see a side by side of in person driving, but this exhaust sounds exactly the same as my 21

It's not the best environment within which to judge the exhaust sound as compared to previous MKV Supras but it does sound good.

Though I won't be surprised if the production (not pre-production demo event cars) 6MT Supras get a slightly more quiet exhaust than their automatic siblings for exactly the same reasons the new Nissan Z 6MT models did: automatic vehicles are sound tested to noise regulation certification very differently than manual vehicles are such that the automatic version of the same vehicle has an easier time by effectively gaming the test.

But I do *hope* Toyota can keep the MKV 6MT's exhaust just as lively as before.
AFAIK (Maybe CA specific) the test is simply how the car sounds at 55mph "cruising" which is how cars like ours (and probably mercedes and porsche) can have peaky exhaust but pass the test
Sponsored