Post 6/2020 ECU unlocked in US

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I mean I know what "street class" is. I'm just saying by regular people/most government standards that's not a street car.

If I didn't live where I lived, even my wannabe race car would be fucked.
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Yeah I largely agree. The racing is entertraining so its hard to complain. That type of build is really only possible in a handful of states, which is mostly what im getting at. It really just makes me chuckle a bit when they call it a street car is all.
You get pulled over in a racecar disguised as a street car and you just say, 'oh yeah, this is a race car, we're doing a thing, testing, drag and drive, etc' and off you go. Especially a car like Mullet.

These aren't like.. "driven driven" they're purpose-driven, most (well, maybe it's "some") cops will see what you're doing and let you off with a whatever. Obviously, NYC/California highly regulated states don't play that game.

I think we generally agree. The name is stupid, it's illegal in a lot of states, the builds are cool.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
You get pulled over in a racecar disguised as a street car and you just say, 'oh yeah, this is a race car, we're doing a thing, testing, drag and drive, etc' and off you go. Especially a car like Mullet.

These aren't like.. "driven driven" they're purpose-driven, most (well, maybe it's "some") cops will see what you're doing and let you off with a whatever. Obviously, NYC/California highly regulated states don't play that game.

I think we generally agree. The name is stupid, it's illegal in a lot of states, the builds are cool.
So in CA and NY it's really zero tolerance? I understand getting pulled over at 7:30am in nice clothes on your way to the office the excuse may not work, but if it's a Friday night and you're near a track and get pulled over there's really no way of talking your way out of it? I've never lived in either of these states, only visited.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So in CA and NY it's really zero tolerance? I understand getting pulled over at 7:30am in nice clothes on your way to the office the excuse may not work, but if it's a Friday night and you're near a track and get pulled over there's really no way of talking your way out of it? I've never lived in either of these states, only visited.
It might. Hard to say.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
It's weird in NC. It's a per county basis. I've only had one police officer attempt to inspect me at a gas station. But once I told him what county I lived he looked genuinely disappointed.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just a guess, but I'd imagine at least 25% of the people that are really following this wouldn't really be interested in custom tuning if there wasn't scarcity. I'd guess another 25% wouldn't be in any huge hurry if it was widely available at $2500. There are solutions that get you 450whp which is mid-low 11's (if you only care about neanderthal racing) for $500. That power level is more than enough for circuit racing and HPDE stuff (sophisticated). Over about 450whp and OEM brakes, tires, and suspension become the limiting performance factor, and decent replacements can be $3k-$4k minimum, so that's at least as much as the Femto unlock.

15 years ago a car with 450whp would cost you significantly more, and beat most street cars. I don't understand the rush, personally. Are many of you terminally ill?
I like this take - totally reasonable. For HPDE the car is completely fine from the factory, honestly, but if you're tracking the car in a race series, having a tune readily and cheaply available may be something you need to be competitive in your class. It's hard to say it's no big deal for everyone who wants to put the car on a race course. I'm personally in no rush and will hold out for when it eventually happens, as I'm in the "HPDE" category of drivers.

It's funny, back when I bought an M3 new in '99 it was hot shit with its 240hp. Truly fast. I'll never forget when some of the American cars started coming out with 400hp or even 500hp from the factory. I just couldn't imagine driving something with that much power on the street. Now, that feels like the absolute floor when it comes to having a "fast" street car.

Last edited:

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Cali and NYC is way worse than where I live on Long Island. But yeah they will pull you over and not give a flying rats ass what your excuse is. Especially the state troopers. Emissions here require all your readiness codes set so without a cat/cat heat plus evap you aren’t passing a car like that here. That’s ignoring finding someone to look away during the visual inspection.

kingdooksdb

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Cali and NYC is way worse than where I live on Long Island. But yeah they will pull you over and not give a flying rats ass what your excuse is. Especially the state troopers. Emissions here require all your readiness codes set so without a cat/cat heat plus evap you aren’t passing a car like that here. That’s ignoring finding someone to look away during the visual inspection.
Im an NYPD officer myself, I can’t speak for the troopers because they’ll absolutely write their own mothers! But it entirely depends on the cop that pulls you over along with other factors like being respectful, and not being apart of those obnoxious “takeover” crews

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I lived in California for 36 years. Both Southern and Northern. I now live in NY state.

If you mod in a smart way in California, you can get away with a lot. Well, you could, now they check ECU CVN's, but of course, there are ways around that too. I ran a 640whp Evo in California. Mod in a smart way and don't drive like a jack ass and you might be okay.

Now, in NY, I've seen people with hood dumps and all sorts of crap that there is no way in hell would have worked in California.

People say NY is zero tolerance but it might be something they saw on TV.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I like this take - totally reasonable. For HPDE the car is completely fine from the factory, honestly, but if you're tracking the car in a race series, having a tune readily and cheaply available may be something you need to be competitive in your class. It's hard to say it's no big deal for everyone who wants to put the car on a race course. I'm personally in no rush and will hold out for when it eventually happens, as I'm in the "HPDE" category of drivers.

It's funny, back when I bought an M3 new in '99 it was hot shit with its 240hp. Truly fast. I'll never forget when some of the American cars started coming out with 400hp or even 500hp from the factory. I just couldn't imagine driving something with that much power on the street. Now, that feels like the absolute floor when it comes to having a "fast" street car.
Stock power with a good suspension, tire and brake setup is faster than Porsche GT4's on track. The car is very capable.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Stock power with a good suspension, tire and brake setup is faster than Porsche GT4's on track. The car is very capable.
This is exactly what one of the guys at the shop I use told me. He said he couldn't believe how capable a car it was with just a little work. More than anything, I think the weak link on this car is the tires, but that's the case with most cars in this price range.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
I use my stuff! The bike got almost no miles this year as well since I was into the car. Looking at ‘22 TTRS since its the last year but I hate how they look. Wish I had that drivetrain in our body style. For the price on a clone and turbo kit on our platform you can TTE700/DP/Intake/Tune and laugh your way to 800awhp in a car that weighs 300lbs less!
Completely different stroke there. AWD is a boner kill for a lot of people. Yes, it's great for putting down power and the argument can be made for better track performance but that's it. It also adds quite a bit of weight and maintenance. Have yet to meet someone who is into performance cars (and i know a lot of Evo/Subi/VW/Audi guys) that says their AWD car is a more fun driving experience and a blast to hoon around in (unless they can disable the Haldex and make it RWD). The trick diff didn't hit market for Audi/VW vehicles until this year, so that will be interesting...they claim they can actually drift it. I've had several AWD performance cars and they are fun but completely different use case. I'm not even sure i'd take a Porsche with AWD.
Sponsored