Ppl running full e85???

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
3 gallons of E85 to 10.7 (13.7 gallon tank)of 93 is safe by BMW's standards(e25 maximum ).The maximum E85 at pump is generally e83 or less. This has nothing to do with the OP's post but I'm just clarifying that this isn't a bad mixture.

Screenshot_20230930-055158__01.jpg
Screenshot_20230930-055237__01.jpg
Screenshot_20230930-055253__01.jpg
Sponsored

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
so e85 is no longer hygroscopic, huh?
It is. But the fueling system is a closed loop.
From a non ignorant point of experience I have run e85 for 3 years w no water issues.

Donā€™t warn people about a non issue and something you havenā€™t experienced.

Boats have open fuel loops and sit unused for long periods. I DO recommend stabil for marine application. I also speak from experience here as a current and 30 year boat owner

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
so e85 is no longer hygroscopic, huh?
Itā€™s really a non-issue. I ran full E85 in my STi for 11 years, often letting it sit for months, never had any problems. Many people let their cars sit with E85 in the tank, Iā€™ve never heard of anyone having a problem. There are millions of flex fuel cars on the road running on E85, if this was an issue it would be well known by now. And not just ā€œwell ethanol is a little more hygroscopic so maybe it could theoretically be an issueā€, there would be thousands of documented failures, studies, and papers about the problem. There arenā€™t, because it isnā€™t.

jRuN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, 2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Random question - is there any "need" or.. would it be advised to every once in a while run a full tank of 93 through the system if you are consistently running E blends? I was once told it was a good idea to sort of "clean" the system out?

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
Random question - is there any "need" or.. would it be advised to every once in a while run a full tank of 93 through the system if you are consistently running E blends? I was once told it was a good idea to sort of "clean" the system out?
Yes run it. Your car was designed around 93 gas

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I donā€™t understand what you think you would be cleaning out? If you are running any mix at all the 93 gas will still have additives and detergents that tier 1 fuels add
Modern direct injection cars have filters that exceed micron requirement of injectors. You would be getting fuel delivery issues from clogging filter.
Just Follow Filter replacement schedule

Last edited:

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
+1 for everything Rocksandblues is saying. He's correct on all counts.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
E85 cleans things. Running pump gas could keep the rubber parts of your fuel system happy.
I had a fuel line dry up on me. Got brittle and cracked, then started showering fuel into the engine bay. šŸ˜‚ but really more like šŸ¤¦šŸ¼
So, I started running the occasional tank of pump gas through. Any scientific proof to support it? No. But the car continued to work and I never lost another hose.
E85 has a high ethanol content, so I figured maybe that's why everything happened.
Not saying all this to tell you to do the same, but just bringing it up as a point to maybe look into.

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
So how accurate is this? Told bm3 I was on multimap and was wondering if I could do full e85 due to it being cheaper and just easier than having to pump 2 different times. without PI or lpfp upgrade and this was their response. Im not a numbers guy for power.

IMG_1054.jpeg
so again, the stock fuel system can support any amount of ethanol you want. the tune is what makes it safe. if it is optimized for a specific blend, usually e30-e50, then power should drop off towards e85 as boost pressure drops to keep things safe. The only way to know is run a log and confirm it works for your, your conditions, your fuel, etc. it's an OTS map designed to work for most.

i also run pump gas through my car twice a year. once in summer and then i run pump during winter since ethanol content typically drops so flex fuel cars don't have difficulty starting and my car sits a lot in winter anyway. pump has better lubrication properties and can help cycle out any old E85 to avoid issues with bad gas. if you drive 1000s of miles a month then probably not an issue since you're cycling a lot of fuel through anyway. I typically only do 3000-4000 miles a year.
Sponsored