Ppl running full e85???

Shadows_mkv

First Name
Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR 3.0 Premium MT
So im seeing a couple people running Full E85, without port injection and without a upgraded fuel system such as lpfp or hpfp.

all they have is a flex fuel kit and flex fuel tune.

how safe is this for the stock fuel system? Disregard the power gains/loss of full e85, im curious about the fuel system itself
Sponsored

Last edited:

andy_nunez

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I fill the tank with 3 gal of e85 and the rest with 93 octane. It feels a little more power and it's safe. My supra is stock.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I fill the tank with 3 gal of e85 and the rest with 93 octane. It feels a little more power
It’s not, if anything it probably makes less power.

and it's safe.
Debatable. I sure as hell wouldn’t feel comfortable running E30 on a stock tune and relying on the slow, long-term fuel trims to try to fix things for me, but you do you I guess. Either way this has nothing to do with OP’s question.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
It’s not, if anything it probably makes less power.

Debatable. I sure as hell wouldn’t feel comfortable running E30 on a stock tune and relying on the slow, long-term fuel trims to try to fix things for me, but you do you I guess. Either way this has nothing to do with OP’s question.
3 gallons to a tank is more like e23. I ran e2X on track last year on stock tune. Logged every session. Perfectly fine. Fuel trims short and long fine. Cleaned up timing pull I was seeing with just 93 so not slower at all.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
3 gallons to a tank is more like e23. I ran e2X on track last year on stock tune. Logged every session. Perfectly fine. Fuel trims short and long fine. Cleaned up timing pull I was seeing with just 93 so not slower at all.
Assuming it’s not completely dry and you’re adding 11 gallons total, 3 gallons of E85 + 8 gallons of E10 is exactly E30. If his “E85” is closer to E60-70 then it would be lower, but that’s a big assumption.

All things being equal (same boost/timing) the car will make less power on ethanol than gas. If the car is pulling timing on gas and ethanol fixes it, then it might make more, but I don’t think thats very common on a stock car on the street. Mine wasn’t pulling timing when stock.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
All things being equal (same boost/timing) the car will make less power on ethanol than gas.
Maybe on car from the 90's with no dynamic programming. Either way, it's not suddenly going to make a TON more power but I wouldn't assume it will make less.

racebuild

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
Assuming it’s not completely dry and you’re adding 11 gallons total, 3 gallons of E85 + 8 gallons of E10 is exactly E30.

All things being equal (same boost/timing) the car will make less power on ethanol than gas. If the car is pulling timing on gas and ethanol fixes it, then it might make more, but I don’t think thats very common on the stock tune on the street. Mine wasn’t pulling timing when stock.
Could go both ways
 most guys don’t test pump content on each fill. Majority of e85 pumps aren’t full e85, I’ve tested some at e56
 can’t trust the pump, ever. Users that just wing the calculations without a sensor/gauge are on borrowed time.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
E50 is what the stock fuel system can handle. Everything above that is gambling.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
E50 is what the stock fuel system can handle. Everything above that is gambling.
You can run full E85 if you tune the car correctly. This has been proven many times. Would you make more power with less Ethanol? Yes, because you can run more boost and not just make power on MBT timing.

jRuN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, 2017 Ram 1500 Sport
You can run full E85 if you tune the car correctly. This has been proven many times. Would you make more power with less Ethanol? Yes, because you can run more boost and not just make power on MBT timing.
What is the reasoning behind not being able to run as much boost on E85 ?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
What is the reasoning behind not being able to run as much boost on E85 ?
Limit of the stock HPFP. It goes by angle and 126 is max. In simple terms, more boost means more fuel means more HPFP angle and E85 creates higher fuel demands so it all compounds.

Non simple is it’s not just the HPFP at play.

A good trick is to ramp up the boost as there are more fuel demands down low in the rev range. Still won’t be able to support full e85.

jRuN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, 2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Limit of the stock HPFP. It goes by angle and 126 is max. In simple terms, more boost means more fuel means more HPFP angle and E85 creates higher fuel demands so it all compounds.

Non simple is it’s not just the HPFP at play.

A good trick is to ramp up the boost as there are more fuel demands down low in the rev range. Still won’t be able to support full e85.
So to take full advantage of e85 and make the most power from it, we still need - lpfp, hpfp upgrades at a minimum? Or do we also need either port injection or upgraded direct injectors?
Sponsored