Red liquid in airbox

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
So I recently installed a K&N drop in filter and lifted it up today to find a small amount of some type of red liquid. I've cleaned it with a towel but I'm wondering what the heck it could be. I wiped where the air dam is and that was completely clean so it doesn't seem to have come from outside.

Just realized the k&n filter is oiled (I typically don't buy those). I'd hope it wouldn't leak into the airbox like that though.

PXL_20210529_234213748.jpg

PXL_20210529_234146994.jpg
Sponsored

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
How much of the Filter oil did you spray on the filter?????? it is dyed "red" for this reason......if in fact, that is what it is(no doubt in my mind as I use those filters as well), clean the airbox thoroughly, and wash the filter. Let it completely dry and re-apply(sparingly, only a LIGHT film is needed).

if too much gets into the air tube, you could be looking at contaminating the MAF sensor which will cause incorrect readings to the ecu and on this "twitchy" vehicle, probably a CEL.....

OP
OP
Escapist

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
How much of the Filter oil did you spray on the filter?????? it is dyed "red" for this reason......if in fact, that is what it is(no doubt in my mind as I use those filters as well), clean the airbox thoroughly, and wash the filter. Let it completely dry and re-apply(sparingly, only a LIGHT film is needed).

if too much gets into the air tube, you could be looking at contaminating the MAF sensor which will cause incorrect readings to the ecu and on this "twitchy" vehicle, probably a CEL.....
I didn't oil it at all, didn't even realize it was a pre oiled filter until I looked at my order lol.

I did take the airbox apart however cause I was installing a cap for the sound dampener on the stock box and the oil doesn't appear to have gone up into the MAF. It is pretty hot where I live so maybe the residual filter oil "sweat" off?

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
I didn't oil it at all, didn't even realize it was a pre oiled filter until I looked at my order lol.
That being said, I would wipe it down with a good cloth, make sure the airbox is clean/dry and before you rinse it, make sure you have some of the oil as this is required to keep the filter doing it's job. Years ago, the oil was clear which made it more difficult to see on surfaces.....
Sponsored