Slow up shift at red line?

Aryanenzo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Hey guys, Just got my 21 Supra 3.0.

I am wondering if there's an explanation for this behavior. Sometimes when going to the redline and shifting at the orange part of the redline right before the red, the transmission takes a solid, what feels like an entire second to upshift. This is during manual operation.

I think Parker mentions the issue i'm having at 13:20 and his is a 2020.
EVERYTHING I HATE ABOUT MY 2020 TOYOTA SUPRA! - YouTube

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Hey guys, Just got my 21 Supra 3.0.

I am wondering if there's an explanation for this behavior. Sometimes when going to the redline and shifting at the orange part of the redline right before the red, the transmission takes a solid, what feels like an entire second to upshift. This is during manual operation.

I think Parker mentions the issue i'm having at 13:20 and his is a 2020.
EVERYTHING I HATE ABOUT MY 2020 TOYOTA SUPRA! - YouTube

Any thoughts?
What mode is your transmission in? Normal or sport? Are you full on the gas pedal, or off of it? The computer calculates all kinds of parameters to find the best way to shift, even though you manually ask it to. If you're WOT in sport, it'll bang through the gears in a fraction of a second. If you're light on the throttle, it'll take it's time.

OP
OP
Aryanenzo

Aryanenzo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
What mode is your transmission in? Normal or sport? Are you full on the gas pedal, or off of it? The computer calculates all kinds of parameters to find the best way to shift, even though you manually ask it to. If you're WOT in sport, it'll bang through the gears in a fraction of a second. If you're light on the throttle, it'll take it's time.
WOT, sport mode, manual shifting at red line. It rev hangs for a moment before shifting. I just spoke to a friend and he has the same thing with his 2020

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 Vette Grand Sport
I've just got my car off the dyno and noticed the same slow shift on WOT after it was tuned. I'm going to check if the same thing happens with tc off. Or maybe its trying to preserve the life of the trans? Have you been able to understand why it does that?

RofoSupra

First Name
Rich Homie Twon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2007 Aston Martin DB9
If you’re letting it hit the red the engine cuts off automatically to prevent damage... if that’s what you’re experiencing, if you’re shifting before that, I’m not sure

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Even when shifting at 5k or 6k I've experienced the same thing. Exactly as Parker experienced in his video.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just for more data - I also experience this on my untuned '21. The ZF8 in Sport+ mode on automatic seems to be more aggressive, faster, and know what gear I should be in better than I do anyways. :D

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just for more data - I also experience this on my untuned '21. The ZF8 in Sport+ mode on automatic seems to be more aggressive, faster, and know what gear I should be in better than I do anyways. :D
Did you code the Sport+ mode in? Do you experience the same issue in Sport+?

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Safe to say that stock and tuned Supras exhibit the same delayed gear shift. I'm assuming it is a protective measure.

If anyone is experiencing this issue, please post here. Investigating further.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
There is definitely a delay in shifting from 1st in manual mode. If I hit the flapper at 6k, it normally shifts by 6.5k. If you watch the gear indicator, you will see it instantly turns to 2, then shifts. This is why I leave my car in auto mode at the track. It can think faster than me and anticipate the shift, perfectly, every time.

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There is definitely a delay in shifting from 1st in manual mode. If I hit the flapper at 6k, it normally shifts by 6.5k. If you watch the gear indicator, you will see it instantly turns to 2, then shifts. This is why I leave my car in auto mode at the track. It can think faster than me and anticipate the shift, perfectly, every time.
While in auto, do you ever experience a brief rev-hang before it shifts?