Revealed: Undisguised Interior and other cool shots of the New Toyota Supra from Nurburgring !

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
not sure if serious ...?

its running full slicks, those are designed for at least -3degs of camber, otherwise you will wear the outside unevenly, regardless of the suspension type. heck even F1 cars run -3.5deg's.

without diving into kinematics; not all MacPherson struts are equal, same goes for double wishbones. The actual Camber curve is what matters, as there are like a billion factor controlling camber gain/loss on bump and in steering. some MacPh's are REALLY intelligent (FK8 Type R!)

"Don't let them tell you double wishbones are unnecessary" ... tell that to Porsche LOL. Cayman (like most Porsche's!) upfront is MacPherson, Mazda 6's front axle is a double wishbone, you can guess which was better camber curve.

p.s.: wrong Toe alignment causes tire wear to a much greater magnitude than camber.
Sure, you screw up your toe it will eat your tires. Whats your point?

Mine is this is the first mk5 we've seen set up for race, and like every other lowered production mac strut car, they've had to crank up the static camber to get the mid corner camber they want. That always comes at the expense of straight line braking and unnecessary tire wear. A double wishbone arrangement not only allows much greater mid camber gain out of the box with minimal static camber, it gives you the ability to simply run an adjustable upper arm and then you can control explicitly your static camber at any ride height and still have good roll center and camber gain.

Can you engineer a mac strut car to corner well? Absolutely, at a single fixed ride height. All of those cars you just mentioned work very well at the stock ride height, and in the case of the Porsches, have a fairly low ride height out of the box. They also are rear engine and don't have a lot of weight on their front axle. But for more pedestrian fare that comes with speed bump friendly ride heights, concessions are made when you drop down to race ride heights.

I run a similar amount of static camber for lapping days on my mk2 Supra as seen in these pics (around 3 deg). Its more like 5 though for autox. I would love to have double wishbones, its one of the best technological advancements Toyota brought to the later Supras.

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
Exterior is growing on me. But why does the sole flying buttress on the centre console jut out on the driverā€™s side, rather than the passengerā€™s side? It is the very opposite of a ā€˜cockpitā€™ layout, as it actually looks like it makes reaching for the gear lever more difficult! It actually, physically, interferes with the driver reaching for the gear stick if his hand is already low. Looks terrible. It should be on the other side, ala a Jag F-Type. That would just make more sense.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
I would love to have double wishbones, its one of the best technological advancements Toyota brought to the later Supras.
And still, those "later" Supras are not really considered to be the pinnacle of handling right?
While I agree with you in general terms (double wishbones > mac struts), often people get too hung up on general design terminology, while the real focus should be implementation: a properly engineered mac strut will beat a mediocre double wishbone setup every single time, for less money. Also, there are so many other factors determining final handling characeteristics (weight, polar moment of inertia, COG, etc) on which Toyota does seem to have invested significantly.

At this point, IĀ“m pretty sure we will get a really great handling car, much better than any previous Supra. Mac struts included. We shall see.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
my personal opinion is that double wishbone is vastly superior for the reasons listed, but yes ultimately implementation is key.

I will say this though, everyone always parrots that Supras (A70-A80) don't handle well, and while they aren't life changing (in their own time or now) they were and still are pretty decent overall. Mediocre isn't a word I'd ever use to describe them.

Last edited:

93Siro

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4
M Sport suspension is a hilarious option on a Toyota!

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
And still, those "later" Supras are not really considered to be the pinnacle of handling right?
While I agree with you in general terms (double wishbones > mac struts), often people get too hung up on general design terminology, while the real focus should be implementation: a properly engineered mac strut will beat a mediocre double wishbone setup every single time, for less money. Also, there are so many other factors determining final handling characeteristics (weight, polar moment of inertia, COG, etc) on which Toyota does seem to have invested significantly.

At this point, IĀ“m pretty sure we will get a really great handling car, much better than any previous Supra. Mac struts included. We shall see.
If VLN is anything to go by, it corners like butter!

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT

Considered to be, and actuality are two different things. I agree with most of what you say, but Mk4s at the very least handle pretty damn well.

tisdrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 335i, Kouki s14
Vehicle Showcase
I'm moderately happy to see the cupholders. The slide-out tray style bmw has been using suck and break easily. The downside is the cupholder placement definitely does not suggest a manual with gear-rowing as elbow would hit drinks

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
Basically I like what I see. Vents are open :)
The center console looks a little fissured for me, especially the A/C control seems to be displaced. I also donā€™t like the high glossy plastic around it. But maybe it looks different from driver seat. Radio controls and A/C seems to be a little driver oriented, but nothing else, even the display doesnā€™t.
What I donā€™t like that much is that speed is shown as digital numbers only.

But over all... it grows on me.

Is that the radar sensor placement for adaptive speed control?

FD710691-17B0-4965-804F-2180BFE8B87A.jpeg